Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister startomatic  (Read 13229 times)

mixedangased

• View Profile
lister startomatic
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
hi, anyone know what the ac voltage should be at the slip rings and the dc output of the transiformer to the rectifier ?
on a bkb alternator i think mines kaput

ta chris

Thob

• View Profile
Re: lister startomatic
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:05:41 PM »
I may be mixed up, but I think you should have AC voltage from the transformer going to the rectifier, and DC voltage on the slip rings.  Does the unit have a nameplate or tag with "exciter voltage" listed?  That should be the DC voltage to the slip rings.  If there's AC coming out of the transformer but no DC on the slip rings, then the rectifier is probably bad.  If there's no AC, then you may have lost magnetism, or the windings feeding the transformer may be open, or the transformer itself may be open.  Check the input to the transformer, and see if there is any voltage there.  To restore the magnetism, do a search on threads about "flash the field".
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

mixedangased

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:12:02 AM »
i thought it was ac off slip rings to transformer reduced to the rectifier which changes to dc output for the field
windings,if i put 24vdc into x/xx wires on termanial block i get a higher ac voltage out of the unit and the slip ring voltage is the same as output approx 165 v ac.
normally the voltage on slip rings is about 30 v ac so now im really confused???? ??? also i have a wire in the top box that i dont know where it goes which is producing about18v dc ?

regards chris

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
Do you have a wiring diagram for the generator?  That would help a lot.  All of the generators I've seen have DC going to the slip rings, which powers the field.  The field is wound on the rotating part, and creates a rotating magnetic field which causes AC to be generated in the non-rotating main windings.  Units with a transformer normally use either the main winding or an axillary winding to power the transformer with AC.  The transformer is normally a saturating core type, which is what regulates the output voltage.  AC from the transformer is fed to the rectifier, which converts it to DC.  This DC is then fed through the slip rings to the field winding.

But then ever so often I see a new (to me) wiring diagram, and yet another way of wiring up a generator.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

mixedangased

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
hi yes the only wiring diagram i have is one i found on this site,
the way is wired is a thick blue wire off the rear slip ring through the transformer then out to a insulated connection post,then two thin green wires from transformer to
the rectifier and then 2 wires black and red out of the rectifer to two red wires marked x and xx into the windings,
will try and find the wiring dia again but not really sure its the correct one .mines a bkb 4.5kva 1500 rpm 240v single phase

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:03:05 AM »
This is the correct wiring diagram for your BKB alternator.

The voltage produced at the slip rings is the main AC output and should be 230volts.

There are 2 sets of field windings first are the series field windings and they are powered from the DC commutator through the big resistor in the top box and back into the series field winding. This is set at 230 volts low load (say 100 watts) by adjusting the big resistor(SFR) in the top box.

The next set of windings are the compensating field windings and they are used to set the high load voltage. Without them connected as the load increases the volts drop. The transformer is used to power up the compensating field windings the more power that goes through the transformer the more power goes to the compensating field winding.

Mick

mixedangased

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
thanks listeroil,
that makes sence now,so the spare wire out of the alt that ithought was batt charging goes to both reisters in the top box then ? a bit for charging and a bit to exite the shunt field winding is that correct? as only got 5 wires out the alt

chris