Puppeteer

Author Topic: New member  (Read 21805 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »
Bob, thanks so much for your suggestion.  I'd like to find out more about the Simplicity belt " loopers" . How do they work?  Do they require a mechanical actuator of their own?

Bshwartz, thanks, yes, a pneumatic cylinder driven idler is the obvious solution to disconnecting the compressor load.  What I didn't know how to do was how to keep the slack belt from sliding on and wearing the drive pulley, but Bob now has me hopeful that there is nothing new under the sun and that problem has been solved before.

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »
Bruce,

My idea was to NOT use a belt at all, just use a rubber wheel of some sort to transfer energy from the flywheel to the compressor.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
Thanks, Bshwartz. I misunderstood. Hopefully Bob can help me understand how to implement the Simplicity belt "loopers" so I can use my existing pulleys and a B belt.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
Bruce,
I looked around online but could not find any useful information. 

The belt is captured by the pins, guides, or formed metal parts.  When the belt is driving, the belt only touches the pulleys.  When the belt is declutched, or slackened, the slack is forced to loop over the driving pulley and not touch it.

If I have your email address I could take a picture off my Simplicity tractor and send from the cell phone.  Most mowers, garden tractors, etc that use a belt to clutch will have this arrangement.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »
Thanks Bob, that would be a big help.  Change the at and dot below.

(edited out the email address to avoid spam)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:07:14 PM by BruceM »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
Thanks for the photo via email Bob.  How is the belt slack pushed towards the belt guide around the pulley? I suppose I could use a pneumatic actuated belt guide on the compressor pulley that would push the belt tight all around that pulley, forcing the belt slack towards the Listeroid 19" pulley and it's belt guide/fingers.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:52:52 PM by BruceM »

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »
Hey, aren't you going to share the picture with the rest of us to give us ideas?
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:52 PM »
Sorry, Brett, that was rude of me.   I just added the image from Bob above.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 12:31:20 AM »
In this arrangement, to declutch the idler pulley moves down.  The stiffness of the belt makes it straighten out and loop the pulley.  Sometimes there is a belt retainer on the idler to keep it in place when the belt is slack.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:35 AM »
Thanks Bob, I guess I'll just have to experiment a bit to see what will work best  for my large drive pulley setup.

ottawavalleyboy

• HP is for show....Torque is for go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
My Lister is now in Ottawa according to Day & Ross' website. I should be all greasy before supper! :D

It's been 40 years since I've seen one & my cousins out west always did all the lever flipping & so on, hope I remember what the sequence is....
2005 smart fortwo diesel, 95 Toyota tacoma 4x4 gasser, 2011 argo 8x8,and most recently an aircooled Lister 7.5 VA

ottawavalleyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
Here it is. haven't started it yet but it's complete except for the air filter....I have a K&N hiding someplace...drain the old oil out tomorrow & she should be good to go!I'm going to try & fit the old muffler from my diesel smart car to it,see how it works....
2005 smart fortwo diesel, 95 Toyota tacoma 4x4 gasser, 2011 argo 8x8,and most recently an aircooled Lister 7.5 VA

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 01:38:18 AM »
She looks in great shape, OttawaVB!  Best luck on your first run and checkout work!
Best Wishes,
Bruce

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »
Congratulations OVB. 
At your oil change be sure to pull the side cover and take out the splash shield.  There is a pool of sediment under it that needs to be cleaned out.  Wipe it out and reinstal the shield.l

Also please take it off the cart and skid before you fire it up.  It could easily vibrate or bounce off.  That would not be a pretty sight.

Enjoy.

Bob

ottawavalleyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
Thanks,Bruce I just bought some fresh 20w oil to replace the old.
For sure Bob...the cheap Princess Auto farm cart didn't make it 3 feet before the front wheels folded....thank god for neighbours with good reflexes...I almost lost it right there.... >:(