Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6-1  (Read 3156 times)

Lister Rob

• View Profile
6-1
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:00:16 AM »

Hi Guys, just wondering if i started my lister 6-1 when cold with the decompression

turned out will it hurt anything. Like breaking the rings or something. Thanks Robert.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 6-1
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
Rob,

I presume you mean your COV valve turned out when you mention decompression turned out...

With COV Valve out, you might have some trouble getting sufficient heat built up to fire the fuel and start up. No ring breakage issues unless you were trying to use some sort of starting aid such as ether. DO NOT USE! Best bet is to preheat the inlet manifold, add an electric glow-plug, or an intake air preheater element.

The function of the COV valve is actually to raise compression during a cold start and thereby aid in starting.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »

Thanks

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »
Rob, your engine is now irrepairably damaged. Please forward your location so I can come and remove the scrap for a nominal fee  ;D
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
You can also light a small plumbers propane torch and poke it into the intake manifold (while cranking) set to a very small flame.  This heats up the air entering the manifold, thereby greatly improving the odds of starting at very low temps.  The advantage to this system is that it doesn't take any electrical power, either 12 volt or AC.
Stan