Author Topic: Governor not working  (Read 3066 times)

Pete_b

• View Profile
Governor not working
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
Hi
Been lurking reading the posts for about a month now and finally have a question  :)

I have just bought a lister Cs 8/1 off Ebay new piston,valves/injector pump (yet to see it and pick it up).

The seller has just put a recon injector in and started it BUT, he says it starts ok but will not pick up?

Listening to it over the phone it fires and increases rpm for about 3 times then shuts back down, he says its up to me if I still want it or no.

Could it be that he did not get the internal linkage right when he put the new injector pump on? if so

How could I look/ check when I go down to see it/pick it up?.

Is it an easy fix?.

Should I just leave it and not bother?

Got it for a shade under £600 :o ( not sure if this is good or bad)

Pete

Ps this is a great forum and thanks to all that have posted really helpful information.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Governor not working
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new acquisition!

It is all too common to have air in the system after changing any of those components. It can take a little persistence to get it all purged. You must start at the fuel tank or supply end and bleed each connection until no air exits. Follow that to the pump and once you get to the high-pressure side of that, you will have to spin the engine while bleeding the rest of the way up to the injector connection. I have often seen them fire a few times and then catch air again and stop because there was air remaining in the system.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Pete_b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:17:07 AM »
Hi Dieselgman and thanks for the quick reply

He said it had  been running a while and he could not get the throttle to open up more even by hand which is
why we think the governor is stuck.

Is it possible to see the governor and possible move it  through the inspection plate?

Cheers
Pete

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »
It has been my experience that the governor itself does not stick from sitting but the linkage will be stuck or the rack itself. It is important that you not get forcefull to save grief later, lots of fragile parts you will be dealing with.

Start out  by detachingthe spring then lowering the stopping lever. Then remove the linkage pin at the rack and see what will or will not move.

If you find the pump rack will not move be very carefull about how you free it. If the rack is stuck to the housing you can tap it back and forth and free it BUT if the element piston is stuck to the bore and you do much forcing you WILL damage the pump.  You can see which is stuck by careful observation. if it is the element that is stuck the rack will move back and forth a small but discernible amount due to the slack in the gear teeth.

If the pump is free be sure the yoke at the top of the linkage is free to turn and travel up and down. Then down at the bottom where the shaft goes through the casting into the governor is another place they will rust tight.  I would not use any more force than can be applied by hand on the "L" shaped lever. You may be able to work it free without disassemble.

Good luck
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Pete_b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
After a little bit of investigation it was the sliding part on the cam shaft that had stuck (nice and free now.
I noticed that the transfer shaft that comes out of the casing was worn so making a new one.
Engine all good now (I hope) just the electrics to get sorted.

Pete