Puppeteer

Author Topic: Steam engine pics.  (Read 2229 times)

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
Steam engine pics.
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:58:44 PM »
From another thread.

And if you want steam engines I got two stationary engines one 8" by 8" with a 30" flywheel and one 8" by 12" with 48" flywheels.  A little more then 3HP but would not want to be around either at 500 rpm, even the little one has close to 100 lbs of reciprocating iron and no counter weights on the crank. :o

yes I want, at the very least you can post links to some pictures.....

I think you should give me one of your engines, that is much fairer...  ::)

I setup some pictures on Photobucket.
http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/andre_b/

Even put up two videos, but I cannot play them back because they want a new version of flash and my older rev. of Opera does not seem to want anything to do with that.  Looks like I need to do some upgrading, I hate that.

Engine 1
  Single cylinder double acting 8" bore 8" stroke.
  The flywheel is 30" in diameter 6" face.
No name or even a place for a nameplate on the engine, just some part numbers stamped here and there, the head has 820 stamped on it, could be a serial or model number.  I have been told it was made by C.H. Dutton Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan in the late 1800's and early 1900's and that they sold some engines through Sears, under the Kenwood brand name.
I did find this, http://users.ids.net/~newsm/steam-engines/sears.html it fits with the brand name and factory location but is a vertical engine, still looking for info on any horizontal engines sold by Sears.  Take a look at the prices, 30 day free trial returned on Sears dime if you do not like it.

Engine 2
  Double cylinder single acting ~2 3/8" bore and stroke.
Started life as a vacuum pump made by Sandwitch mfg. co., Sandwich,ill.  All that was needed to convert was to plug up a drain hole that let oil in the vacuum exhaust drain back to the crankcase.  Second in the center of the crank there is a 90° bevel gear that drives the valve shaft which comes up between the two cylinders to spin a rotary valve, had to put a seal on that shaft.  And that is all that was needed but I should put some insulation (lagging) around the cylinders to keep it hot and help cut down on the amount of water getting into the crankcase oil.  Lastly it should have a system of getting water out of the oil.
Since this was designed for vacuum it will not handle very high steam pressures, I plan to someday make a light low pressure boiler ~40 psi for it and put it all into a 17' canoe.
Since that pic I have made a nice flywheel and painted the engine red.

Engine 3
  Single cylinder double acting 8" bore 12" stroke.
  The flywheels are 48" in diameter 4" face, flywheels and crank are about 1600lbs.
The manufacture is not known, it came out of a canning factory about 30 years ago.  It is not intended to belt drive anything but to function only as a pump or compressor.  A second cylinder would have been bolted on to the head of the steam cylinder and its piston connected to the tail shaft.  Unfortunately when they removed the compressor cylinder the tail shaft was torched off about 4" short so I will need to add some on or make a new rod.

The boiler is just an oil burning portable type made for heating oil tanker railroad cars and such, this one was use by a township to open up frozen culverts.  It is not in super great shape but it calculates as safe to 100 psi working pressure, I run it at 50 psi just to turn the engine over, but that oil burner is a noisy PITA.