Author Topic: The best place to get a Listeroid  (Read 6813 times)

Oregon

• View Profile
The best place to get a Listeroid
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
I'm new to this but am interested in acquiring a Lister(oid) 6-1 and fit it to a DC generator. I've read an number of different web sites and am a little confused.  Can the Indian or Chinese version still being imported? Are they readily available? Some of the info I have read indicates that a unit from India will require a complete teardown and rebuild.  While I think I wouldn't have a problem doing it, I would prefer not to buy a piece of junk that needs a complete overhaul.  Would somebody educate me on the best and most economical way to go about it?  I live in Oregon, so I would rather not pay more than the base price in freight to get one.  Thanks in advance!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: The best place to get a Listeroid
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
For procuring a 6/1, no current production engines can be imported except as parts. You can find them used on eBay and Craig's List from time to time. You can purchase a complete unit as parts if you don't mind building your own and dealing with any local or federal regulations yourself. Freight to Oregon will entail some cost as the parts are currently shipped either from Canada or Kansas... not certain of any other viable sources.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Oregon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:42 AM »
Thanks, dieselgman-

I don't mind building my own if the process is going to be generally straightforward and not a lot of "retrofitting" parts to make them work. Who can I buy the kit from?

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »
Our very own Dieselgman, DES in Chase Kansas, good price, great service, I'd take a serious look at the KOEL engines if he has any left.
BioDiesel Brewer

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:17:47 AM »
Hi Oregon,

You might check out http://www.utterpower.com/ for concise locational relevant information.

Casey

Oh, as far as I can tell dieselman is as straight as they come.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
The KOELs are the only remaining new 'grandfathered' engines we can offer - only a few available and only in 8/1 configurations. These are of very good quality and will operate just fine straight out of the crate.

Parts kits are less expensive and a good value since most people treat these as complete tear-down projects anyway. They are out of stock except for a few remaining 6/1s.

gary@dieselgen.com

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mauicole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14:10 AM »
..and by going through the tear down and rebuild you're better prepared to deal with engine maintenance/problems in the future. ;)
1972 Lister SR1
DES 8/1 w/iron piston & 6/1 cam
1983 Ford F250 6.9L Diesel

Simtech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:12:09 AM »
The KOELs are the only remaining new 'grandfathered' engines we can offer - only a few available and only in 8/1 configurations. These are of very good quality and will operate just fine straight out of the crate.
Parts kits are less expensive and a good value since most people treat these as complete tear-down projects anyway. They are out of stock except for a few remaining 6/1s.
gary@dieselgen.com
dieselgman

Hey! No touchie! one of those Koels is MINE, mine mine mine mine  ;D 

Just kidding (a little), I do hope there's one still available in a few months for me to order, especially if all that's left is 6/1s in the parts kit.  Definately want a 8/1 with the more robust flywheels.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
I guess you probably know this but your options are not wide ranging. Basically you can watch the various cyber sales sites like Craigs list or Ebay and wait for one to come up for sale. Import one from Canada and hope it isn't the first one to be confiscated at the border. Import one as an air compressor and built it yourself. OR deal with Diesel Electric Services.

I choose to deal with Dieselgman at Diesel Electric Services. Service after the sale is A-1 plus. The KOELS are indeed very nice engines by the way.
Good luck with your search.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Oregon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 02:47:09 AM »
Thanks to all you people who weighed in. From what I read, it just makes me upset at all the ridiculous enviromental regs that make it hard for hard working people that just want to take care of themselves. I'll get a hold of that guy in Kansas and see if we can make a deal.

To Casey, thanks, I did check utterpower.com- he said to go to DES. That dieselgman is obviously well known in this circle!