Puppeteer

Author Topic: Crating An Engine For Shipping  (Read 6105 times)

listerdiesel

• View Profile
Crating An Engine For Shipping
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
For the occasional time when you need to do it, the following pictures might help.

The engine is a Stuart H2Y, and is remarkably heavy for such a low power engine!

The pictures are self-explanatory, the plywood is 10mm, the timber is 60 X 40mm approximately, there are about 100 or more screws in there, the pallet is a standard Euro pallet. The bolts are M8 with large heavy washers.

The engine is going by road transport to Denmark and we wanted to make sure it stood a good chance of getting there in one piece.

We brushed most of the sawdust off before we put the top on!

Peter

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Crating An Engine For Shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
I did sort of the same thing for my Wittes ride from Seattle, Washington to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.  I used 4x4 inch landscape treated "timbers" for the frame (you can't get ground contact rated wood here in Hawaii (Hey, I don't make the rules I just figure out to beat them.)  And built the box out of, you guessed it, 1/2 inch treated plywood.  I used the plywood for a new floor in the coffee shacks bathroom (third and final layer).  The box was also oversized because I wanted to use as much uncut pieces as possible.

The two main differences from my box and yours are that I used the 4x4 bottom frame as the built in pallet.  My shipper included the pallet in determining the cubic dimensions which is the basis of shipping charges to Hawaii and the other small point is that I crammed the box full of really import crap that would have cost more to ship than the 2600 pound box marked antique generator - Mr. Happy weighs in at less than 1500 pounds.  Oh, around $700 port to port.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »
That is a very good rate for 2600lbs to Hawaii! I suppose the outlying islands are where the freight and handling costs jump quite a bit!

Smart business!!!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Hi dieselgman,

Thanks for the compliment.  Actually to Hawaii; 200 pounds, 2600 pounds , 3300 pounds is priced on cubic volume.  4' x 4' x 8' were the magic numbers for this shipper not the weight.

I'd like to take a moment and thank you and your organization for being such a terrific resource for the Lister and Lister Like equipment people here on this Forum.  The 6/1 was love at first sight and sound for me but I went with the mid-west brute - Mr. Happy - who should be pooping out grid tied juice next year.  Please keep up the good work.

Casey 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245