Author Topic: Battery bank  (Read 11365 times)

LMWatBullRun

• View Profile
Re: Battery bank
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
Are these batteries good for what I want to do with them?
They all hold a charge of 6.5volts+.They cost me very little not even scrap value do you think it’s best to invest the money to buy the proper charger for these or try and get my hands on the other type of battery.
These batteries came from the back up communications system of a very large pharmaceutical company when they moved and building was demolished. They hadn’t reached their service life.

Casey, I found a fork lift charger... the supply it requires is 240volt 51amp? In the UK?

I would agree with a 48 volt inverter, but pure sine wave is going to cost.

As regards the batteries, a slow charge won't hurt them right until you overcharge.  Also AGM are sensitive to high temps.
I really like the Outback inverter/charger, but it runs around 1900 USD for the 48v 3600 watt unit.

If you wanted, you could link all 12 in series/ parallel (2 parallel strings of 6 batteries in series) which would give your 36 volts 200 AH or 7200 wh storage.  If you only drew that down 50 % that would give you 3600 wh; you could run a refrigerator for about 12 to 18 hours with that.  3600 wh requires ten amps at 240 volts for two hours, allowing for losses.
Lister electric start; 20-2 listeroid; yanmar ts-50C; 82 volvo diesel; 90 dodge-cummins TD; case 580.

toydiesel01

• View Profile
Re: Battery bank
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 02:19:34 AM »
Hi not sure if Magnum are available in France.  I use a Magnum inverter charger on 48 volts. These  are around $2000 here in the states.  It makes a true sign wave and and can put out 240volts at 83 amps   They are fully programable for every type of battery, ideal for the Agm and every situation. Just program it from the manufactures specs, also has a battery temp sensor.  I believe the maximum charging is 60 amps thou.  I only charge at 30 amps. It has a searching mode, if nothing is on it makes the inverter go to sleep saving big time on batteries. With an amp shunt you can see how many amps you have taken off of the batteries and how many amps you have put back in, add 10 percent more for losses.  This unit charges batteries and inverts all the same time, it monitors the electric going to your house. Your program tells the charger when to cut back on charging and give more power to the house. It has 4 stages of charging, 1 being a equalizer or a desulsifier.
With batteries it not good to take of more than 20% of a full charge, this hurts a battery taking some of the life out of the battery.
48 volts is the best way for the dc amps to ac amps loss.
My wife and I love the Magnum inverter/charger, and as you can see highly recommend it.