Puppeteer

Author Topic: JK liners  (Read 7541 times)

triumphman

• View Profile
JK liners
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
I have bought 6 liners for my JK6 like an idiot I have binned the old ones and the new ones don't fit they are to wide at the top other than that they are perfect. Does anyone know if the JK6/ JP6 has different liners than the rest of the JP/JK range. The cylinder heads on the 6 are twins unlike the rest of the range which has single heads. Does anyone have the lister part number for the JK/P3 or 4 cylinder liners.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: JK liners
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
We have parts references for JA JW but apparently not for JK. If anyone knows about the parts interchange we would be happy to supply the parts numbers from JA and JW parts books.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

richardhula

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
JP/JK cylinder liners part # 10-2-247 - taken from the JP/JK 2/3M parts book.

Nothing to suggest the JK liners were different on two & three cylinder models at least.

Regards - Richard

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
the new ones don't fit they are to wide at the top other than that they are perfect.

Can you not machine the o/d of the liner flange to fit the cylinder block, as the o/d on the liner flange is not crucial in terms of surface finish.

We have parts references for JA JW but apparently not for JK. If anyone knows about the parts interchange we would be happy to supply the parts numbers from JA and JW parts books.

dieselgman

The six cylinder air and water coolled JA / JW range bears no resemblance to the JK range, the JK6 engine has some features in common with the JP range. But is otherwise a unique design as it was developed as a true marine engine from the start, meaning it can all be stripped down from above leaving only the lower crankcase / sump insitu.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:23:44 PM by listard-jp2 »

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
the JK6 engine has some features in common with the JP range. But is otherwise a unique design as it was developed as a true marine engine from the start, meaning it can all be stripped down from above leaving only the lower crankcase / sump insitu.

I seem to remember that all of the JP/JS/JK series are like that, the JK6 is not radically different to the others in the series, the main differences between the three models were rocker gear lubrication and the compression change-over deleted on the JK.

The JP was around as a marine engine long before the JK. I have a marine engine book where the JPM and JKM share common crankcases etc etc.

The early parts books for the JP and the latest for the JP/JK/JS use essentially the same pictures of the crankcase.

I'll be happy to be corrected, but I believe that to be the case. I have a JK4 generator sitting up at the farm. I'll try and dig up a 6-cylinder book.

Peter

EDIT:  The 616/JP6 does have a split crankcase, before the JK came along, but it is a different arrangement to the 1,2,3 and 4 cylinders. So I am corrected on that one by the 616MGR parts book.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:15:05 PM by listerdiesel »

triumphman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
The part number for JK & JP 6 liners is 616-252/6 so they do seem to be different. My 1st thoughts are to get the tops machined however they seem to be fatter as well. I have a Lister service bulletin which suggests that the flange should be !/2 inch thick leaving a 6 thou protrusion.  The flanges seem thicker than this and I am not sure how well I could get them machined to enable the correct protrusion

It also mentions a later revised liner with an additional stepped lip at the top of the liner that protruded through the gasket to locate the gasket and ensure that the head locates properly. It seems to suggest that the head actually touches the top of therevised  liner to prevent the gasket from being over compressed.

I have been speaking to some commercial barge owners and they say the JK6 and JP6 was very prone to head gasket failure although lots of older barges have them this revised liner and gasket seems to be an attempt to prevent this. There are dire warnings about not using early head gaskets.

The Lister service bulletin also says that the liner should be lapped carefully in to place and this is what I was preparing to start when I found that they were to large at the top. The one I tried fit most of the way perfect but was very tight to turn the further it went in I think it would have been impossible to turn to lap if it had have gone all the way in, is this normal and just a matted of cleaning and lubrication.

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
Are you sure they are JP/JK liners?

CD/CE liners are awfully similar, you can convert one to the other but not the other way around.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »
JP6 liners are 616/252/6

0.006" protrusion above block face.

Head gasket 612-132
Head shim    612-134

JP/JK gasket is different, 10-3-105

Peter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:26:59 PM by listerdiesel »

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »
Triumphman,

If they turn out to be CD/CE liners, I'd be very interested in purchasing them from you.

Please keep it in mind.

Thanks,

Steve

triumphman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »
I should be getting the liners back from the machine shop next week, the good book says to lubricate the o rings with soft soap, what do people on here use ?? or what is soft soap ??

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
Washing up liquid.

Peter

triumphman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
Next question, how tight should the liners be. The good book says to lap them in to the top of the block so i presume they should be free to spin. They fit fine until just before the shoulder at the top goes in to the block, there is a small step in the liner at the top and this matches a machined section on the block.

I understand that this is where the liner seats in the block so must be a good fit, it is really tight and the liner does not want to go down. I have one liner in the freezer and I will heat the block tomorrow and try again I don't see how the liner can be lapped in fit its that tight though.

It is more complicated with the liners not realy being the right ones for the engine.

triumphman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
Freezing works straight it with a slight tap.