Author Topic: CS 3and half/1 made into a 6/1  (Read 2918 times)

newlister

• View Profile
CS 3and half/1 made into a 6/1
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
Newlister here. Had my CS going today, Could not wait just had to try it. made some water pipes up, put together as they would fit. had a little 12 volt water pump. And a little small heater matrix out of a Vauxhall Corsa I think, needed to try matrix  to see if it warmed thru. Only second time I tried to fire it up.  Ist when I went to see it, 2nd nearly start, and third time, very easy.  needed to turn it a little more, and put it on high compression. well it shook the van but not as much as I expected. And the exhaust noise was not as loud as I thought it was going to be. maybe when it has a good load it will need a silencer. Anyway just had to see it going. after a while. it started to puff traces of oily smoke from the exhaust. it was worse screwing the knob out. Compression seems really good thou. Piston /bore trouble.? valve guides?. took the side plate off to see inside and oil had been splashing about. The oil in the sump looks new to see on my fingers. but the oil in exhaust is dirty black, like it's not had an oil change for a long time. There is compression leaking out, just a little bit of pressure from the small top and bottom holes in the compression knob boss.? and this gets really very warm/hot. Also there is a middle bit where the compression seems to go when turning the knob out carry on and the comp comes back when the knob is out.  Not seen one running before close up so. I don't think this can be normal.?  Did see a piece about the flapper/reed valve.  could this be stuck ? Well if anyone is interested. have added some more pictures. and a few more soon. cheers Newlister

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: CS 3and half/1 made into a 6/1
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
"Slobbering" (or lube oil in the exhaust) is common enough when these are run without load. Any oil traveling past the piston will pick up your combustion carbon and be very black out the exhaust. Your COV valve must be either fully in or fully out to function properly, in-between it will hiss or blow a little compression.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

newlister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
Dieselman.---Checked the the crankcase reed valve. it was rusted stuck.  Ran the engine with reed valve removed and no oil spurting from there. Also removed some oil from sump, Over filled,? After putting reed valve back. And this has reduced/stopped the oil spotting from ex port. Water in header tank still at same level. But compression valve. leaks small amount of compression out thru small holes, when screwed in tight. smokes a lot more in low compression setting. Also fitted  a Vauxhall Corsa fuel filter bowl. ( Not seen a rope wick Thing before.) The corsa filter has 3 heated plates inside.and have used this on my transit. but had just given it a strip and de gunk. I had done this ready to go back on van but, seems the Lister needed it more. I have another filter bowl.could this be used to fit between the oil pump and feed line. Also with heated element. or even/and adding a multi plate heater with water thru flow connected to Water jacket. Very time consuming. and if it was possible to make a mess, boy can I do this. Cheers Newlister.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
Sounds like your COV valve may need servicing/cleaning. Some have a copper washer that can get damaged and or may have carbon buildup preventing the valve from completely closing. Glad to hear your other problems are one-by-one being eliminated. That is a good reminder about the crankcase breather, I appreciate your feedback!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations