Author Topic: FR4 project  (Read 46755 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: FR4 project
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
You should be able to get enough compression to start up by priming the cylinders with a little lube oil. Not too much more than a couple tablespoons though.

An electric starter sure would help right about now!  ;)

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 01:17:25 AM »
Find a way of getting external heat in the engine? Sure it's a "cold start" engine but a pile of heat will never hurt for a first time start.

Warm the coolant?

Tiger torch to the block?

There also may be air in the injection system. Crack the injector lines until the fuel flows...

Forgive me if you already tried all this...

Reg Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »
Eighteen months ago I acquired this rusting hunk of cast iron. It was green with years of algae. And full of water. The pistons, fuel pumps and pretty much everything else were seized solid. The entire engine was stripped down, which was not that easy, and all parts were cleaned and examined. I had to make tools to dismantle the water pump, cylinder head, and remove the fly wheel. Parts that were damaged or corroded beyond use or just worn out have been replaced if possible including the crank shaft, two pistons, some rings, big end bearings, valves etc. It's got new head gaskets and all others I have made by hand. The engine is looking good, with bright brass and copper fittings, original green paint and fading decals. It is now back together including the dry sump system and the radiator cooling system and the fuel system is cleaned and primed.

Today I hand-cranked the engine about five times, paused, then gave it a few more turns, accelerated, flipped the decompression lever, and it burst into life.

BRILLIANT!

Thanks for all your advise, but one more question.........

......What should I restore next, ?

Reg

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
Atta Boy!

Good to hear it is finally running.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Let's see some video!

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »
SNIP

Today I hand-cranked the engine about five times, paused, then gave it a few more turns, accelerated, flipped the decompression lever, and it burst into life.

BRILLIANT!

Reg
Gardner 1L2?

richardhula

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
Eighteen months ago I acquired this rusting hunk of cast iron. It was green with years of algae. And full of water. The pistons, fuel pumps and pretty much everything else were seized solid. The entire engine was stripped down, which was not that easy, and all parts were cleaned and examined. I had to make tools to dismantle the water pump, cylinder head, and remove the fly wheel. Parts that were damaged or corroded beyond use or just worn out have been replaced if possible including the crank shaft, two pistons, some rings, big end bearings, valves etc. It's got new head gaskets and all others I have made by hand. The engine is looking good, with bright brass and copper fittings, original green paint and fading decals. It is now back together including the dry sump system and the radiator cooling system and the fuel system is cleaned and primed.

BRILLIANT!

Reg

Well done Reg. Great to here of one more bit of heritage in running order again.

One question. Why would it be fitted with dry sump lube system if its original application was to power a presumably stationary grain dryer?

Was it originally a marine version maybe. Certainly Lister produced an FR4M - Is there mention of "Marina Sales" on any of the castings.

Reg Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »
Hi richardhula. There are no markings of any kind that indicate this was ever a marine engine. Dry sumps were (and maybe still are) fitted to engines that run for long periods of time. This engine turned a huge 'Manchester Cyclone' fan about four or five feet in diameter which drew hot air from exhaust gasses and a fire pit and blew it into a grain silo because the grain was not perfectly dry at harvest time. This process could go on for several days until the farmer had sold and shipped his grain. He would have gone through a fair amount of diesel also. Reg

Reg Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8kWY2L66s

The above link is a video of it starting up and a short run.

Reg

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
For those of you that followed this thread, this engine now appears to be on ebay UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-FR4-Stationary-diesel-engine-with-clutch-and-dry-sump-/181464784386?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item2a4024de02

Considering the extensive work that the OP put into this engine, together with the new and second hand spares he bought, the start price on this engine is more than reasonable.

Reg Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »
Thanks for the ad ListardJP2, but to no avail, 300 views, 24watchers, 0 bids. I even put the price up for the second week but this made no difference. It's got to go, i need the space and the cash. If there are any FR fans out there who need specific parts get in touch with me. If there is enough interest I will break the engine. Reg

tjcorbin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
Hi, 

Any update on the fate of the engine, I have seen this FR4 on Ebay etc - interested mainly as I have an FR4 Marine couter-rotating one in my shed.  It was reportedly one of a pair originally.

Not sure what to do with my one, I have many projects and the FR4 is not really top of the list!  But I don't wan't it to go to waste, so I will continue to keep it warm and dry, oil it, turn it periodically etc.

Tim 

Reg Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Hi Tim,

Sorry about the delay in replying.

I put this engine on ebay a few months ago and it sold to a canal boat owner who wanted to upgrade his FR3 for my FR4. But he calculated it was a fraction too long to fit in his engine bay so he was forced to pull out of the sale. I put it up for sale again and had a few curious watchers but no bids. I lowered the price to £550 but decided to stop the sale early - it's not that I think it's worth loads more I just don't want to devalue this engine.

The trouble it is this is not a Lister D, it wont fit in a car boot, neither is it a CS so doesn't chug away happily at 600 RPM, it's a big industrial working engine and there aren't as many prospective buyers who admire the FR as much as I do or who are able to take on this kind of project.

I turn it over and start it up occasionally but really I need the space for new projects. I could moth-ball it and try to sell it next year. Or I could break it and complete an FR2 project and sell the remaining parts. Not sure but I'm open to suggestions.

What are you planning to do with your engine?

Reg

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
I would expect your FR to be worth more as parts and can be used to recondition a number of smaller engines. We have found that our HR6 and HR4 units were much more useful this way (used for spares on HR2 and HR3 machines that needed parts), as opposed to finding that needle-in-a-haystack situation where the larger engine was actually needed.   ;)

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Reg Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 12:38:53 AM »
Hi Dieselgman,

It was a great project but I agree with you, however sad it is, breaking the engine for parts is probably the route I'll go.

But once it's stripped down the crankcase and flywheel are destined to end up at the knackers yard.

Reg