Author Topic: IS AWESOME  (Read 28056 times)

Thomas

• View Profile
Re: IS AWESOME
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2006, 07:52:18 PM »
On some of the 340's there was a pressuer reg. block these things woud go bad and do just what you are talking about. A friend of mine has one sounds like the same set uo four cyl gas. Cant get parts for it any more but it still works as long as I can keep it running for him. Check and see of there is a reg. block in it and if there is take it apart and see if it has gone bad.   Tom

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »

...I would gladly pay double for a fuel that isnt so expensive....

Reading your posts just makes my brain hurt.

Anyway, keep avoiding the fuels made from petroleum by evil people, thus making more of it available for me.

kyradawg

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 08:25:25 PM »
lol

Peace&Love :D, Darren

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2006, 10:34:50 PM »
Tom & Guy,
Yeah, my first action was to take off the controls with the 3 spools and have a reputable hydraulic repair shop rebuild them.  Supposedly, they all looked ok, they did find a piece of rubber from one of the cylinders packing, but other than that it looked fine.  Regarding the pressure regulating block (one of the big problems is that every manual I read has a different name for these things), if I'm correct, this is the same as the pilot relief valve?  It is adjustable and regulates the pressure for the entire bank of hydraulic spools. 

I had to make a tool to adjust it, basically a 3/8" pipe, cut on the end leaving two tits that engaged the adjustment.  It had to fit over a threaded screw and inside a threaded bore to engage the adjustment.  I adjusted it in and out without any change to the problem.  I think that only leaves the relief (check?) poppets for each spool.  Supposedly after 40 years of wear, they can wear to the point of sticking and allowing the flow to avoid the rams.  I suppose I should take the whole damn thing off again, but that took half a day last time.  I'm hoping I can just take them out and see what I can see.  I replaced the filter and all the fluid a couple years ago, probably should have done it when I bought it in '84, but oh well.

Regarding parts, since International went under, it has gotten harder, and there may be esoteric transmission bearings or something that are impossible, but Case and various other manufacturer's still carry most of the parts.  The challenge is finding the part # and paying the bill.  I just bought a steel tube and seal for the hydraulic pump - 1" diameter, 2" long, $40 plus shipping.  What are you going to do.   :P  On the other hand, I just rebuilt the engine several years ago and it runs like a top now.  It is the only tool I have that will pick up the 1000# of my listeriod and ST5 gen head, carry them up the hill and place them in the frame I have bolted to a concrete foundation.  Soon I hope.   :)
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

GerryH

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 02:24:03 AM »
International parts are handled by Coneco Equipment or anyone dealing with Dresser equipment.
I just sold a 25 yr old TD15 and I got anthing I wanted thru Coneco.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »
I have a td35 that I would like to find an engine for. I would like to restore it to like new it ran when I got it 25 years ago and it was an old beast then. Cant find an engine for it though. It was in storage elsewere and thay let the engine fill uo with water for me well you know the rest. It was bilt long befor the td9's will find one some time.  Tom T 

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2006, 03:17:41 AM »
Thomas,
A bit off topic but, oh well.  Check out these links below for IH tractors.

That was interesting about Coneco Gerry, I'll check them next time I'm stuck for parts.  There are so many of the old IH tractors out there, a lot of other manufacturer's have gotten in the biz.
Ray

http://www.ytmag.com/farmall/wwwboard1.html

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums//index.php?showforum=9
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 05:15:55 AM »
Sorry about that.  Tom

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »
Back to being off topic on the tractor hydraulics.  I would disassemble the relief valve that you had less than ideal results when you adjusted…pull the guts out and clean it. You should not have to take it out of the system…just unscrew the adjustment all the way and it should disassemble…its not Rocket Surgery in there.  Quite often a bit of debris can sit near a poppet or valve seat and when an momentary overload (lifting a log) should cause it to open that debris might get caught and not allow the poppet to reseat entirely. Think of your foot in the door and trying to shut it.  If the entire system were low and all else checks out especially the pump…then I would suspect a relief somewhere in the main line.  If it were a single cylinder that was low I’d look at the relief on the control valve for that circuit.

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 11:31:37 PM »
Ray,

I used to have a TD6 with a Drott 4 in 1 bucket, but it cracked a head and was not worth fixing. I ran into a problem similar to what you mention on a Case backhoe it turns out the hydraulic filter disintegrated and was blocking the intake. It might be worth checking? 
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 01:09:16 AM »
Hi,
Joe - I took the relief valve apart several days ago, after I had tried adjusting it, didn't find anything. 

Tom - I changed the filter a couple years ago - the old one was grungy w/sludge, but I wouldn't think the new one could have gotten too dirty, esp. since it hasn't run more than 10 hours or so since then.  I've completely changed all the hydraulic fluid since then too, when I took out and examined the hydraulic pump a month or so ago.  Replaced the pump pick up when I checked that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you can see why it is making me so crazy.  Didn't get to the other relief valves today, hope to try that this coming week.  It has got to be a chunk of rubber or a worn poppet in a relief valve, question is, which one?  I'll find it soon, have taken apart almost every piece at this point.
Ray

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2006, 04:33:31 AM »
Good luck with it Ray if I was close to you I would give you a hnd witth it but I dont thank I am so hang in there you will win and let us know what it turns out to be.  Tom T

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 11:47:50 AM »
The wonderful smooth running SVO, WVO thing--
I had to smile remembering my own experiences. I was running a small gold mine in the arctic, and the fuel farm was across the swamp from the mine and mill. No problem, I had a Nodwell and 1000 gal tank. (for those who don't know, a Nodwell is like the worlds largest snowmobile. Twin tracks 36 in wide and a 10ft deck)

It had a 6 cyl Ford gas engine, and I had no gas.
I would have to fly it in, and we would have to shut down till the plane came.

So--I knew I could run on diesel. I filled the tank and started it up. They run like they are cold, lean, and badly advanced under load. At no load they are the quietest, sweetest running engine you could want. I decided I would never bother with gas, this was too good to be true!

One day after hauling a load of fuel, one of the men came rushing up and said "The nodwell is pouring out crankcase oil!" I looked and found the crankcase full to overflowing with diesel fuel that had washed past the rings and diluted the oil. Only some of the lighter fractions of diesel burns with spark ignition.

Sometimes things are not as good as they seem at first.

Oh, BTW, you can also run a Stihl 045 chainsaw on straight diesel and it also keeps the bugs away.

I drove 250 miles on diesel in my 1978 F150 with the straight 300 six cylinder.  I put it in by mistake in the middle of a really bad snow storm.  I happened to be traveling the direction of the storm and I needed to get home.  The truck ran rough but it ran...lol.  I made it also.  Funniest thing I ever seen.  Then I drove that truck to Phoenix Arizona and back.  That happend about 8 years ago.  The truck is still running today.  I like that engine.