Author Topic: PH2 Blown Up  (Read 14303 times)

baileyboy40

• View Profile
PH2 Blown Up
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
Hi, im looking for some help. Got a 3 ton dumper with a lister petter ph2 air cooled engine fitted, was using it yesterday when 1 of the pistons, broke off from the con rod, needless to say it took the head and block off. Right me thinks, i will find another engine, yeah right, easier said then done, cant find a ph2 any where for the right money, taking into account that the dumper only cost £525. So my next line of thought is to fit a different type of engine, any one know of a different lister engine that will match up to the gearbox, having a limited knowlage of these things, im hoping that there is an engine that will marry straight up to the gearbox

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: PH2 Blown Up
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
Lister supplied many different engine models for various dumpers... is yours a Bamford? I believe that I've heard of SR, ST, TS, and LPA models used for that purpose.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

baileyboy40

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
Dont know the make of this dumper, there is no markings on it. Have seen 2 or 3 on ebay the same, sent them emails but they dont know the make either

baileyboy40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
Dont know if it helps or not but it has a newage gearbox and a dowty pump

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Bamford is the only model name I know anything about... and sadly very little about that one. Maybe some of our British friends here can enlighten us? At one point I have seen some manuals for the Bamfords but will have to dig for them since they have not been seen in recent memory.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Is your dumper 4WD and is it articulated steer, handle or electric start?

If so it  is most likely your dumper is a Wingete or possibly Thwaites, as they are to my knowledge the companies that made 3 Tonne dumpers and used the PH2 engine.

You would be better off staying with your original PH2 engine and repairing it, as swapping to another engine type will be alot more expensive, and time consuming but if you are set on this route and want to use a Lister make sure you find an Anticlockwise version, or you will end up with 3 reverse gears and only one forward gear.

Also make sure you find one that c/w with the clutch assy, as these parts are different to the PH clutch assy.

What you describe is not unknown as these engines have a cylinder barrel that is flanged at each end, and is bolted to the crankcase, and what can happen is the cylinder barrel breaks off across the lower flanged area with the engine running.

For a good source of Petter engine parts you should try Jim Perkins, he is a retired Petter service engineer and he will have all the parts you need at a very reasonable price, a quick google will easily aquire his contact details.
Out of interest, where are you located?

baileyboy40

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
Thanks for the replys, it is 4wd and articulated steer,it is not a thwaites, i have been on to them, all their 3 ton dumpers are 3 pot, so i was informed. I am in north west wales, thus , miles from anywhere

baileyboy40

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
hand start

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »
I don't suppose you'd supply a photo or two for we poor souls that live on the wrong side of the pond?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »
From what you have said, I would be thinking that it is most likely that you have a Wingete dumper (4B40 or similar), but a photograph would confirm this. Depending on what model you have I may even have an instruction manual / parts list for it.

Right me thinks, i will find another engine, yeah right, easier said then done, cant find a ph2 any where for the right money, taking into account that the dumper only cost £525.

Due to the fact these engines are still very popular with the plant export type dealers, a good running engine will always sell at a premium price, hence why a top end rebuild in your case will in the long run be your cheapest option.

baileyboy40

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
Hi,
will post pics if someone will tell me how, tried to insert image all i get is [img][img]
What am i doing wrong ?

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »
Are you still looking for a replacement engine? then this item on ebay UK might be of interest to you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lister-petter-dumper-engine-/190573112112?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Construction_Tools_ET&hash=item2c5f0aeb30

reresa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
I have many ph2 engines i can send you a core engine i'm in south africa

contact me on reresa@vodamail.co.za