Puppeteer

Author Topic: overhall kit from Central Maine Diesel  (Read 7375 times)

getterdone

• View Profile
overhall kit from Central Maine Diesel
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
has anyone bought the overhaul kit from Central Main Diesel ?
i was wondering if the price is worth it or not?
and if the parts fit well.,quality ? etc.........

38ac

• View Profile
Re: overhall kit from Central Maine Diesel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »
I bought a complete single kit a little over a year ago. The quality of the parts is excellent but customer satisfaction leaves a lot to be desired.  In my opinion they ripped me for shipping and crating. While I admit to not asking (which is only my fault) it was none the less a heck of a high amount to pack the parts in a cardboard box, my $499 kit was over $700 delivered by UPS, just ask and you wont get supprized. Other beef with dealing with them is they are not exactly personable on the phone. The guy that deals in the Indian parts isn't too bad but the others are A-holes.  Overall satisfaction rating D-   I now deal with Diesel Electric Services, Dieselman here and satisfaction rating is A+.  My suggestion is to give him a try.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

getterdone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Dieselman, looks like you get high marks when it comes to parts.
have you looked at Central Main Diesel's overhaul kit and what is in it?
can you supply a similar kit?
you can email me this info if you will, but others might be interested also.
thanks  john.

getterdone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
oh i forgot to say:  I ordered a timing gear from them and $20.00 for shipping did seem a bit high.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: overhaul kit from Central Maine Diesel
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »
We at Diesel Electric have been handling parts for the original Lister equipment for over a decade but have not put together a kit like CMD has done... most of our requests for such are specific to the customer needs and not properly filled by such a generic kit. Because of this, we stock and sell individual parts at this time. We do have a fairly complete coverage for the Indian CS types but currently only the engines conforming to original Lister designs. We are working on this product line all the time and will be expanding our coverage as time goes on. I have yet to compare pricing in detail but I believe that CMD may have a little better coverage and price than we do at this time. Remember, we cover ALL Lister models and have millions invested... likely a different situation than CMD and all that clone stuff. If there is interest expressed, we are willing to look further into compiling and stocking similar kits.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:42:13 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
By the way, our shipping charges are based on cost only... not a profit center for us. We prefer to use USPS Priority Mail flat-rate whenever we can to deliver the best bang for your buck. That is reliable and a fixed price regardless of weight. That works for most everything up to 70# and also includes most overseas exports. We only use UPS or FedEx if there is a time urgency or special request for such.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
I just ordered a spare parts kit with a connecting rod and crankshaft from CMD yesterday.  I have ordered parts from them in the past and the shipping was way too much, but I was pleasantly surprised at the shipping costs for the parts I ordered yesterday. 

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
Flat Rate Priority Mail is where it's at.  I rarely deal with companies that don't offer this incredible cost effective way of shipping to Hawaii.  I'd guess the "other" state and possessions of the US suffer the UPS - FedEx rape as well.

Someone has a parts pick you want then let their competitors know what you want.  Communication is a two way street and it's your money.

Did you know that the shipper of record for UPS victimizations has all rights to a shipment and you, the owner of the contents, have none.  Always request that shippers put you down as a co-shipper.

Living in Paradise has a few harsh lessons.  Like a morning rant - Invigorating!

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
If you want a parts kit from CMD ask for Dan Reed and get him to work up a couple quotes with different shipping options.  This is what I did and the best method turned out to be splitting the parts into four separate shipments. 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:39:13 AM »
If you want a parts kit from CMD ask for Dan Reed and get him to work up a couple quotes with different shipping options.  This is what I did and the best method turned out to be splitting the parts into four separate shipments. 

Yes, Dan Reed is the guy, thanks I could not remember his name for the life of me.
 My shippent was put into four boxes also so as to get under weight limitations for UPS. I dont wish to hammer them over the feight and handling deal, just make people aware to ask. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel