Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6-1 muffler  (Read 7835 times)

Lister Rob

• View Profile
6-1 muffler
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:37 AM »
 Hi Guys, i was going to make a muffler out of a regular propane tank for my 6-1 lister. I was wondering when you cut the hole on each end of the tank how long should the pipe be inside the tank and do you block both ends of the pipe inside and have holes in the pipe. I read alot of post on here in the past but couldn,t see anything on this subject. Any other info on how to make the muffler will be great to know. Thanks alot Rob.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 6-1 muffler
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
Murray King has a nice one documented on Picasa I believe... I'll have to look it up to add a link here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mermanskingdom/ListerPictures#5289542780516790354

dieselgman
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:05:27 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
When I made mine from a 20lb propane cylinder, I used a piece of 1 1/2" muffler tube with 3/8" holes inside the tank. it was welded to the 1 1/2" pipe coupling before the coupling was welded into the tank. The drop (round piece from the hole saw) was welded to the end of the internal tube as a plug. The internal pipe was as long as it could be and still fit inside the tank. The muffler is not real quite, but I really like the sound.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:28:03 AM »
mmmm.....   Welding .   Propane tank .  Boom !     Get a little torch gas in there, or a little residual fuel.....

I recall someone had (the word is HAD) a large shop, but while working on a tank recalled hearing a loud sound, and then bright daylight.  No shop. No vehicle he was working on.  I don't know f that was here, or another engine site ?

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:38 AM »
A high school student was killed here a couple months ago when an oil drum they were cutting with a torch blew up in shop class. Needless event. Just trying to make a bbq for the summer  :o

I made a cooling tank for my 16 by using a 100 lb propane tank that we sawed the top off of with a huge bandsaw. Square and clean.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:45:55 AM by contaucreek »
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:10:31 AM »

Hi Guys, thanks for the ifo but i don,t think there will be any blowing up here. That looked like a great setup on the link you showed dieselgman but i didn,t have the room for that kind of a system. I was still going to use the 20 lb propane tank but was wondering if i put each pipe extended in the tank with the ends blocked with a number of 1/2 in holes drilled in each pipe before welding will this be enough to let the exhaust out. I didn,t want to break anything in the engine so it would be great if anybody had any info on this subject. Thanks again for the replys. Rob.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:26:57 AM »
There is a lot of latitude for different size expansion tanks as long as you don't create too much back pressure. The variable then will be just how much silencing the system actually provides. make your inlet and outlet holes (sum) at least equal to the cross sectional area of the normal exhaust pipe and you should be fine. Lister did publish some specs on total run and total bends allowed in the overall exhaust system.

dieselgman

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
Mine was 1 pipe with 3/8" holes on the outlet. It's now embedded in the concrete floor of the engine room so it better last a while.

Tom

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
Generally not recommended to bury the silencer because of difficulty in cleaning in the case of any fuel injection malfunction in your engine. We have seen them clog up to a tiny 1/2" passage before and took a lot of banging and blowing to get the carbon back out again. The other issue I am aware of is condensing water in the system... if the silencer is cooled below the dew point and the exhaust is excessively cooled, then water plus sulfur compounds in the exhaust equal an acidic bath that will corrode most ferrous metals with abandon.

dieselgman

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:40 AM »
 Hi Guys, thanks for the info. Looks like a nice muffler Tom but what is the lenth of the pipe going in the outlet side and how many holes did you put in the pipe. Did you cap of the outlet pipe on the inside of the tank and did it make the engine sound alot quieter. Thanks so much Rob.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
LR, The pipe was as long as would fit in the tank. Just drilled a bunch of 3/8" holes and did use the drop from the hole saw to plug the end of the pipe.

gman, Now you tell me. I see your point about the condensation. I did set the outlet at an angle to facilitate draining. The system does seem to warm a lot as after about 2 hours the outlet is hot to the touch. I did have a super trap on the end of the pipe at one time which did promptly plug with soot, but the muffler has worked well for 2 years now.
Tom

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
Tom,

If you have your silencer/expansion-tank running hot, then condensation should not be a problem. That is more likely to happen in cold soils, very long exhaust runs, and shorter engine operating periods.

dieselgman

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
It may not be as convenient, but I seem to remember that these types of silencers had the outlet on top and the inlet below. Hot gas rises and all that.

There was one Lister type with both inlet and outlet on top.

All were empty and the pipes just connected with flanges.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
Here is the drawing:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/ListerData/exhaust.htm

Couldn't get the image tags to work, sorry!

Peter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:29:09 AM by listerdiesel »