Puppeteer

Author Topic: chrome bores and piston rings  (Read 3592 times)

barry100

• View Profile
chrome bores and piston rings
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:13 AM »
Hi All
I'm putting some piston rings in an engine with chrome bores, I know not to use chrome plated rings but what about nickle steel/iron the silivery coloured ones with the coiled spring expander that are used in Listers and other modern engines? any advice would be wellcome
Barry

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
Re: chrome bores and piston rings
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »
Hi All
I'm putting some piston rings in an engine with chrome bores, I know not to use chrome plated rings but what about nickle steel/iron the silivery coloured ones with the coiled spring expander that are used in Listers and other modern engines? any advice would be wellcome
Barry

Barry ,
   I Was Recently Having a Issue With My Lister Clone .When i Was Finding The Same Info The Shopkeeper Suggested The Following

If i Use Super Hard Chrome Liner They Suggested Iron Rings  .

Might Be Some Seniors Can Suggest Some Alternative suggestions
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
That is good advice... use the softer cast iron rings. Many different grades are produced, hard to identify except for plain gray or black iron in all except the top compression fire-ring. You might have break-in issues with ring-seal otherwise. I don't know if anyone here has the original (mettalurgy) details for what Lister used in their chrome (Listard process) bores, but that could be useful information.
Also, a comformable oil scraper (with expander spring) vs the more rigid style.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:29:25 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »
If you are using Indian manufactured rings, I believe most of them to be the soft cast-iron rather than nodular or other (hardened) alloys.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations