Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel return.  (Read 4779 times)

cylinderhoner

• View Profile
Fuel return.
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
I have a three cylinder SR Lister which has the excess fuel return to the fuel tank.
I would like to do away with this return pipe.
The motor has a fuel lift pump but is gravity fed.
By bypassing the lift pump would this suffice or must I route the excess return into the filter.
Regards
Steve

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Fuel return.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:40:36 PM »
The fuel return on your SR is designed mainly to purge air from the fuel system... It is not strictly required for the engine to run properly but you may run into difficulty without it once the injectors wear and start bypassing excess fuel. That can create issues with air-lock and prevent easy starting. You really don't want to be bleeding/priming the injectors on that beasty. Fuel lines are enough of a challenge on these as it is.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

cylinderhoner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »
Dieselgman
Many thanks for that.
The problem I have is that the fuel tank is now going to be approx.15-20 feet from the motor.
I also have two other fuel returns to contend with.
One from a four cylinder Lister gen set.A late model turbocharged beasty.
A second from my main engine,this is a marine set up,a Ruston 6 cylinder engine.
If I was to join all these together at some point on the way to the fuel tank,would I have a problem
if I had a combination of engines running or stopped.
Steve

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
Hello Cylinderhoner,
                           If the return line on your SR3 merely comes from the return side of the injectors as later models do, then the volume returning should only be a few drops per hour unless your injectors are very tired.You can either just catch it in a Coke bottle and pour it back once a month, or at the risk of fuel leakage from your gravity line, just tee it into the supply line ahead of the lift pump. On the basis of the K.I.S.S. principle, the Coke bottle wins my vote,  regards, Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
Open fuel containers does not win my vote. In answer to the fuel return issue, the SR return line will not amount to any volume as suggested - just a few drops/hour in most cases. I would say that the return lines could be easily combined as long as there is no restriction in the tank outlet end. 15 or 20 feet of line is not a problem. We often combine return lines on multiple engine setups. There are two different designs for the SR fuel piping... one referred to as self-priming actually does return the injector leak-off line back to the injection pumps, however it also includes the pressure-release feature of a return line back to the tank. I would recommend using the fuel return piping regardless of other concerns with your setup.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

cylinderhoner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »
Dieselgman
That is sorted will run a fuel return back to the main header tank collecting ALL the other return pipes on the way.
I forgot to add that there is also a twin cylinder Kubota with its own fuel return to include.
I have worked out a way that they will all return uphill to enable any air to vent by itself.
Many thanks guys.
I now have a 9 tonne Ruston to coax into life.
Regards
Steve

javascript:void(0);