Author Topic: witte diesel gen set what do you know?  (Read 5300 times)

honda lee

• View Profile
witte diesel gen set what do you know?
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:28:19 PM »
I just bought a listeroid to build a gen set and have been looking around for ideas I came a cross a witte gen set.I am looking to find some info on them i know they were made in kc, but i dont know are they as good as a lister? are there parts to be had? are they easy to find? can they run on anything like the lister? what can you expect to pay? thanks to all!

38ac

• View Profile
Re: witte diesel gen set what do you know?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
Diesel I assume? Witte built engines for al kinds of fuels. I dont know of any inherent problems with the Wittes. They are a quality built slow speed diesel as far as I know. Parts are about like everything else that old, around but a bit less than easy to obtain and you need to be patiant. If it isnt broken you bore and sleeve, spray weld and grind etc. Gaskets you make or have made. Rings are from Hastings. Oil field people might be able to help since they were used there.  Not much help with price. I passed on a non-runner at an auction for $400. have seen them for sale for $2500 and down engine only a few more bucks for the gen set combos. I have seem 4-5 for sale in the past year, that would make them easy to find in my opionion.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
Model?  Mine, a BD, is incredibly well built.  Not as cute as a Lister but designed to operate in an oil field.  Here are some of the reasons I went with the Witte:

*  Totally closed
*  10 quart oil storage in base
*  Full pressured oil system
*  In-line oil filter
*  Brutishly handsome
*  Large flywheels
*  Emergency shut-down
*  Made in the USA

Under fuel it reads "Do not use crude."  That's it.

Casey

PS.  There are quite a few listings over at the Co-Gen site and YouTube - Witte Diesel will get you some interesting videos.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
So honda lee,

What have you heard about the Witte in KC?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245