Puppeteer

Author Topic: need info on a 1970 SR1  (Read 3191 times)

lukeinfla

• View Profile
need info on a 1970 SR1
« on: May 14, 2006, 01:30:12 AM »
Hi guys, I found this forum because I ran across a old green engine bolted to a pallet with a generator mounted to it. I did a little searching and came across your web site. I have since learned a lot about Lister and his engines, but i need more info. The engine is a 6hp 1800rpm counter rotating diesel Lister engine. It has a Lima electric corp. 3.5 KW 120/240 generator attached. (see Photos) I can’t seem to find out much this model.  The questions are: because it runs at 1800 rpm does it still have the same life expectancy as other models, what about fuel economy and type (WVO,WMO)? It would be great to use as a back up generator in case of another hurricane, (Pensacola FL) but is just isn't big enough, or can I put a big flywheel on it and use a bigger generator? Is it better suited for something else?  I  look forward to your ideas and views. Luke

Halfnuts

• View Profile
Re: need info on a 1970 SR1
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 05:37:24 AM »
Luke,

If you don't get any joy here, you might try www.smokstak.com.  There is a much broader experience base on that site.  Most of the denizens of this forum are experienced with the slow-speed (650 rpm to 1000 rpm) versions. 

The higher speed engines won't have the durability of the slower engines, however any REAL English-built engine will be better built than anything coming out of India. 

Noise and vibration are going to be your bugaboo (technical term) with that genset.  If you decide to run it for long periods of time, eg. after a hurricane, you might want to spend some time constructing an insulated enclosure.

Best of luck.

Halfnuts

lukeinfla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:28:01 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will try the site.

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »
I didn't see any pics???