Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 3/1 Big end shells  (Read 6379 times)

neseng

• View Profile
Lister CS 3/1 Big end shells
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
Hi all,
I am rebuilding a 1937 CS 3/1 which has a 2.250" diameter crank pin.  Does anyone know of a supplier of big end shells, either standard or o'size 0.010" or 0.020" to suit this diameter?  I have spent quite some time scouring the net and various forums without success.  Looking forward to any leads (worldwide) so thanks in advance.
Regards,       neseng.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Lister CS 3/1 Big end shells
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
My Lister books do not list undersized rod bearings in the parts list.  Then again, it does not list oversize pistons or rings either, and I know that they are available.  You might check with an English supplier or possibly the Indian outfit that advertises them on Ebay.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:26 AM »
If you can't find what you need, let me know and we will special-order it for you. At this time our stocks are all in std. sizes.

dieselgman gsj@gci.net
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »
If your happy to use Indian cloned parts, are comfortable to handle the import aspects, and want to save some money etc, then why not give these people a try:

http://www.devprecisionengineers.com/

As they seem to have all the contacts.

Even though the Lister CS 3-1 was never made for the Indian market ( just like the Lister FR, CD, CE, and JP range of engines),  most parts specific to the 3-1 engine are readily available via the Indian route if you know where to look.

Another solution for you to consider (if your not concerned about non-originality). Is to fit a crank from a later Lister CS 5-1, 6-1, or 8-1, because the crank is interchangeable with the 3-1 connecting rod. The extra 0.250" increase in crankshaft big end diameter on the big end is taken care of by having a thinner wall Steel backed big end shell bearings, instead of the thicker walled bronze backed bearing you have on your Lister CS 3-1.

As the Lister CS 3-1 uses a Bronze backed bearing, have you also considered re-metaling the shells that you already have, a temporary solution I have seen used too good effect on a twin cylinder Russell Newbury diesel engine was to re-metal the big end shells with plumbers solder and a blowtorch (and the canal barge this engine is fitted to is still running ten years later).

If your set on using OEM parts, and your crank shaft big end journal is still within the roundness tolerance at STD size, the PM me as I have a surplus pair of NOS OEM STD size Bronze backed bearings, that I would let go to a good home. They are not perfect, as they have a few knocks and also has some light oxidation on the white metal from years of storage, but with a little TLC they could be used with no problems.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:48:48 AM by listard-jp2 »

scotty2611

• Scotty
    • View Profile
    • Historic Engine
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
I stock rings and bearings for the 3/1 and head gaskets and some other parts, Im located in Australia,

scotty1@bigpond.net.au

Scotty
Historic Engine & Tractor Spares
Tasmania Australia
Australian Home Of The Listeroid
www.historicengine.com.au
scotty1@bigpond.net.au

neseng

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 05:01:49 AM »
Thanks all for the good info I've received so far. I have done a fair bit of research over the last couple of weeks. Re-metalling the shells and then machining them to suit a re-ground (undersized) crank is an option but a very expensive one here in Perth. The next option is to grind the corrosion out of the crank pin, have it 'spray-metalled' and then regrind it back to suit the con rod big end shells which will possibly only need a tiny amount bored or polished out of them as they are still in pretty good condition.
I am currently waiting on a quote to have this done.  I also have another option which I'm exploring but I won't clutter this thread until I have done some more investigating.