Author Topic: Suggestion for WMO trial......  (Read 8194 times)

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Suggestion for WMO trial......
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
Although not using WMO myself, I can understand why it is popular.

I have a suggestion that might be worth consideration for persons using WMO, as follows:

The burning question is how using WMO or blends of WMO increases engine wear, therefore so a comparison can be made to a reference fuel such as diesel oil, I suggest running a twin cylinder Listeriod with one cylinder burning normal diesel oil and the other burning WMO.

Due to the design of these engines having individual injector pumps this would be an easy modification. Further segregation could be extended to the cooling system to investigate how coolant temperature effects cylinder bore wear.

After a set number of running hours a top end inspection could be carried out for comparison of wear rates on critical components between the two cylinders. 

One final point, I read alot about filtration, but is anyone using permanent magnets to remove any ferrous contamination from the WMO?

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for WMO trial......
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
finally a bonofide use for a fuel line magnet!

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
It's already a chick magnet, how much more do you want?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »
Interesting suggestion! that is the kind of convincing evidence needed to give these experiments validity.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
Good idea on the magnet. I’ll try one on my next filtering session. It will be interesting to see if anything ferrous gets through a 0.5 filter.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
if you are looking for a cheap magnet free most of the time.. an old microve wave oven has 2 very good one around the mag. tube..I have saved dozens over the years...always have one in the tool box/// easy to find, every thing is stuck to it...the only warning is to discharge the high voltage cap. first.. if you do not.. well have fun///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:49 AM »
Back to WMO in one cylinder and diesel in another on a two cylinder engine...

Doesn't WMO have more "power" than regular diesel?

If it does, would the cylinder that has the WMO being run through it not "carry" the more "lazy" diesel powered cylinder? The "lazy" cylinder would naturally have less wear...

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
if you are looking for a cheap magnet free most of the time.. an old microve wave oven has 2 very good one around the mag. tube..

Another good source is hard disc drives, as these are usually rare earth magnets, and produce very strong magnetic fields, due to the Neodymium content.

Doesn't WMO have more "power" than regular diesel?
If it does, would the cylinder that has the WMO being run through it not "carry" the more "lazy" diesel powered cylinder? The "lazy" cylinder would naturally have less wear...

WMO does indeed have a higher energy than diesel oil, one possible solution to correct this imbalance would be to reduce the fuel injection pump delivery rate on the WMO side to compensate for this, this could be done in a number of ways: fit a smaller diameter plunger element, reduction of the injector pump camshaft lift, recalibrate the pump to reduce delivery volume, etc etc.