Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister with an electric start  (Read 12736 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: lister with an electric start
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 05:17:57 AM »
Some have had reasonable results with WMO, others not so... the quality and consistency seems to be a big issue. Take a look on the cogeneration forum for a real rousing discussion of this topic! I would think the ST1 would be a better candidate for alternative fuels than the SR1 mentioned. This is because it has heavier components and larger displacement, but its fuel system and combustion characteristics are going to be nearly identical. These must have clean fuel and be setup to burn hot or they tend to have ring-seal issues.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
Thanks Gary!

I am a believer in using wmo only in a pre-heated condition.  Making sure the  fuel is warm has always been the  M.O. for my diesels..

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »
Hello Dieseldawg,
                       Nice low time unit, and may well be worth the money, but do not think you will get much joy running it on WMO. They are a direct inject engine, not so suited to heavy fuels. Tried WMO at low percentages in several other engines of similar fuel system design, but even in our hot climate, by 40 or 50 hours I had heavy carbon deposits on injector nozzles, loss of power and heavy smoke. OK  again after I pulled injectors and brushed carbon off, but not a success.
        Speed will be preset for your alternator frequency, 1800 for 60 hz, or 1500 for 50 hz. Do not alter unless you want something to burn up. Nameplate may rate it to
2600 for other applications  but if it was built as a dedicated alternator set, it should come with a heavy flywheel and special governor parts for that job. Good little units, fair economy but not very quiet, and best bolted to a good slab of concrete. Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
the
The ST engines have a solid reputation

Even so they had a well known reputation for cracking between the valve seat inserts, due to persons with no experience of these engines overtightning the injector bridge clamping down bolts, as the lower half of the head is cast aluminium.

You ignore this problem at your peril. As I many years ago repaired a startomatic ST3 that the valve seats had fell out of on one cylinder head, in addition to everything on one cylinder being scrap, it needed another two heads replacing due to cracking, and guess what the owner had not so long ago had the injectors refurbished. :embarassed:

Treated with care these engines will run and run, another problem these engines can suffer from (which is common to all of the later Lister engines) is dilution of the engine oil from diesel leaks on the fuel injection system.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:36:29 PM by listard-jp2 »

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
Not functioning well with wmo is gonna break this deal for me.  Among the other issues, I can continue to keep looking and get what Will work best in the long run.  If anyone wants this engine let me know and I will post the guys number.  He is in kennewick wa.