Author Topic: lister with an electric start  (Read 12782 times)

dieseldawg

• View Profile
lister with an electric start
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:48:54 PM »
Hello all:

I have  question or two about a single cylinder lister I have found.  I will have more information shortly, but I do know that it is an original Lister single.  It has an electric start and battery which appear to be original.  Does this sound correct?  Did Lister make a single with an integrated starter at one time?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:54:12 PM by dieseldawg »

Lister Rob

• View Profile
Re: lister with an electric start
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »

Sounds like you have a lister startomatic there, nice set up.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
cool.  I don't have it yet, but I will put the full court press on it.  I know have the serial number, but the rated hp and rpm is not on the tag (it was left blank?)  How can I learn about the hp by the serial number?  I am no physically on site, but communicating bay email.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
Hey Rob....

This Startomatic comes with an electrical start and has an adjustable throttle.  Do you know the rpm range of this setup or someone who does?  How about HP?

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »
Sounds like you have a Lister startomatic there, nice set up.

Wow :o

Don't get too excited, as this could easily be a more prevalent example of a later air-cooled diesel engine, fitted with a conventional starter motor.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
OK I have the serial number

6713571A28-15

I think this means?  

date: 1967
serial 13571
model A28

Does this sound right?

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Dieseldawg, it might be an ST1A and 1978 manufactured if the no has been misread.     Mark.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
Thanks Mark

That was the information given to me over email.  I think I can get this for less than $2200.  It is all oriignal and it has less than 50 hrs. 

If it is an ST1, what do you think of it?

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
Mark has it right, I think, it's an ST1, the A means it goes backwards (anti-clockwise). It's your basic common-or-garden air-cooled Lister, they probaby made about a billion of them, reliable as something that's very reliable, and plenty of parts available. Starting will be a standard starter motor with ring gear. You'll get 10 horse out of it, but at 2600rpm it'll be anything but quiet & refined...

$2200 is quite excessive for that engine IMHO. One sold here in the UK for less than £500 recently, and that came with a free dumper truck...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »
Dieseldawg,  as far as I know these were the last of the line before Lister began manufacturing the TS and LT series engines colloquially  known as "flat tops".  The ST engines have a solid reputation over here and parts are readily available but expensive.
Mark.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
Mark and Ade:

Thanks for the help in the ID of this engine.  I mis-typed the price, it is a bit less!  not 2200, but 1200!  I did not notice that at first.  I was told that it has a variable throttle; does that mean I can run it at a lower rpm ie 1800?  I want to have something I can run to power the battery bank and credit my meter (net metering).  I live in a cold area so the air cooled shouldn't be an issue and I am going to build an underground (dugout) to house this generator.  Fuel consumption is an issue, but I will be running WMO (filtered and ran through a centrifuge-good enough for the 12v cummins in my truck!) so I am not paying retail for my fuel supply.  If I can stay around 3-4K and stay under 5 gallons of diesel per every 24 hrs, it pencils out real well for us.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:32:49 PM »
Dieseldawg,  I can`t speak for an ST1 but an SR1 powered genset I owned did not like a 50/50 Wmo/kerosene diet, it got hot and bothered, white smoked, added oil to the sump and lost power, the same symptoms apeared on a Ruston 2YWA set, both ran perfectly when refuelled with  diesel.     The SR1 is a very close relative of the ST1 and it will be interesting to learn of your experience using Wmo.  Mark.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:04 AM »
I haven't pulled the trigger just yet and if wmo is not going to work....that will be a deal breaker.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:06:01 AM »
So..based on theses posts..is this worth my time/$?