Author Topic: New OLD LISTER/ Gen set.  (Read 4089 times)

Shadow

• View Profile
New OLD LISTER/ Gen set.
« on: May 12, 2006, 03:23:04 AM »
Hi All, Great site here! I just purchased my first Lister. Its not the one I wanted but the price was right .. I think. Its a 12 hp BS649 coupled to a 7.5kw Newage Stamford AC generator.I dont know much about it other than it last last ran almost two years ago. And after extended run periods it accumalated fuel in the crankcase.Supposedly an injector problem? Just wondering if anyone out there in ListerLand is familiar with these engines and where in Canada parts could be available? I'm gonna try getting it running in next day or so. Thanks for any information, (good or bad).

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
Re: New OLD LISTER/ Gen set.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »
Since no one else will take a stab at it.... the only way that the injector could get fuel into the crankcase would be if it is inside the valve cover and has a leaking fitting. If it is external like they usually are, then there is no way for it go get fuel in the crankcase. A very worn out or broken injector pump could do this. Normally, there is always a very small and insignificant amount of fuel that gets into the oil if one side of the plunger is inside the crankcase. The more worn out the plunger/barrel get, the more fuel can get into the crankcase. If this were the case, then I doubt the engine would run very well at all and it would be a bear to start because the injection pressure would be really low too. The pump is definitely where I would start though. hth..
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 10:51:33 PM »
the OP doesn't say what model, so generally speaking, the prime source for sump dilution is a leaking lift pump diaphragm, second favourite is leaking fuel return pipe, etc
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

PopsOnline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:09:31 PM »
Ive had this happen a couple of times over the years with my ST1.. once it was the return line rubing against the head till it created a leak in the copper tubbing the other time it was a cracked high pressure line between the IP and the injector...just a couple of ideasĀ  Aloha PopsĀ  :D

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
Thanks for the replys, the fuel pump, return lines,etc are all enclosed with access to the crankcase, so I first thought cracked return line or leaking fuel line somewhere. However once I took the engine apart I found a nickel size hole on the top of one piston and a pea size hole in the other one.So that would explain how the fuel is getting in. Now what causes the holes? Bad injector nozzles? acting like a torch? Injectors out of time? engine out of time? Surprisingly the cylinder walls are good, but both top rings were shot. AS are the valves and heads. And this engine crank started very easy.Go figure.