Author Topic: Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic Engine  (Read 28197 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic Engine
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »
Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic type engine, s/n 231617, it has the heavy flywheels, one flywheel has two B section vee belt grooves machined in it for belt coupling to a generator head, this engine is good for a 2.5 Kw continuous load, it has a working valve lifter/fuel cut off solenoid fitted.
The engine starts easily and runs well without known faults.   It has frost damage in the usual place that has been repaired to a high standard and is missing the rocker cover, these are cheaply available.  The engine can be seen running on Youtube entitled "Richards Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic Engine" photos will be posted in my photo gallery soon.   Bids to be sent via PMs to myself or DrDeath and the final price will include delivery to Dodge City Ks.  Thank you for your interest, Mark.

bschwartz

• View Profile
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

DRDEATH

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic Engine
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »
There is usually brass valve covers listed on eBay UK which are pretty reasonable and arrangements could be made to have them shipped so they could be placed in the container so there would not be a large shipping expense for them. They look pretty BOSS. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:23:36 PM »
Hi everyone,  the CS startomatic engine is withdrawn from the auction so apologies to anyone who may have had an interest but not put any bids in.  Unusal for these days in the UK,  I am very busy with my day job and this along with the crap weather we have had over here recently, has combined to slow the Lister project to a snails pace    What we intend to do now is tidy up our rough looking engines up and aquire missing accessory`s in order to improve their presentation.   The auction will begin again when all the engines  are sale ready which given the recent weather over here may be late spring. This will enable all the engines to be auctioned concurrently and give a shorter time between purchase and shipping.   Pete has put 3 of his engines on Youtube, his username is " dieselpete "  now theres a surprise !  Mark,

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
Well that's one way of saying your not getting any bids. ;D
Could it be any thing to do with the fact that Listeroids are available again.
If the yanks are not buying Uk Listers then there's more for us. ::)

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
No Mathew it isn`t, its precisely what I said and if you think that these engines will be for sale in the UK then you don`t know me. Why can`t you leave your abrasion in the CS cylinder where it belongs?  Mark.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
First of all this has nothing to do with engine kits back in the US. Had anyone known the winter would set in the way it did over there they would have never decided to start it when they did. If there was anything different other than that I believe I would have been told and they would not still be buying more engines. I don't understand why people always think something different than what was written. There are still people looking for real Lister's and I think these 2 guys have tried their best given the weather conditions. I am not discouraged and I hope anyone who still wishes to own a real deal will not be either. One more thing just for the record. I have no financial gain from this venture just as I had none from the other container. Mike DD

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »
No Mathew it isn`t, its precisely what I said and if you think that these engines will be for sale in the UK then you don`t know me. Why can`t you leave your abrasion in the CS cylinder where it belongs?  Mark.

;D

No I don't know you should I ?
What's your motivation for this project?
So your telling me if you could not sell to the USA then you would keep them just to be awkward.
Why would you not sell them in the UK.
I think we can guess why.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »
     Matthew,   You seem to know me well enough to make your assumptions about me and post them.  Financial gain.  You have said that I will not be selling these engines in the US not me and finally I will not sell them in the UK in case pricks like you buy them  and we all know why. Mark.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »
     Matthew,   You seem to know me well enough to make your assumptions about me and post them.  Financial gain.  You have said that I will not be selling these engines in the US not me and finally I will not sell them in the UK in case pricks like you buy them  and we all know why. Mark.

Well that's clear then, your just in it for the money and will only sell where you will make the most money.
You won't sell in the UK because pricks like me might buy them, I don't think so I can tell a chancer when I see one.
The last engine you put up for auction and then withdrew ,why was that again,nothing wrong with the UK weather,was just bodged up so it ran and will almost likely need a full rebuild any way.
Did you stick on the plate on the cracked block?

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »
Spencer you need to calm down. The auction in the US was doing a favor for people who were leary to send money abroad. The auction just had bad timing. As for the weather I have several friends not involved with the auction and they have all said the weather has been the worse than it has been before. If it would have been known the weather was going to be that way I would have asked that it be started in the spring. This whole auction was a favor to me. I never said I wanted them to give the engines away. No one over here that brings in engines does it for free. They have an investment. I don't have a investment so I would not expect to make anything. I have had no less than 100 maybe 150 people waiting for the auction to be in full swing. People still want real engines even if clones are available. Mike DD

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:46:56 PM »
   Matthew,   you`re  just a bitter jealous guy with 2 worn out CS cylinders and a shot FR1, get a life!

br549

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 03:26:56 AM »
Another two cents.   I want to say thank you Dr D, for all the work you're doing to help people here in the states, like myself have the opportunity to own an original Lister.  I know it's obvious to me that you have the best of intentions in regards to this project.  I think to accuse somebody that's obviously putting out as much effort as you are of only being into it for financial gain is a little bit sideways.
What must be hard is to put so much work into this and then have your motives questioned, when the facts and merits and the logistics of what you're doing take a considerable commitment and toll.  I would suspect that the amount of time that you have involved in this project is huge and if you were only in it for profit, it wouldn't be a paying proposition.  Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Sparkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:02 AM »
I will second what br549 said.  Because of Mike's and Mark's efforts, I will have the chance to own a real Lister for a reasonable price.  If the economics justify selling them in the States for more, then God bless you.  I doubt that Matthew will sell his engines off to strangers at a below market price...   

As you have indicated already, it might make sense to do some work on the rougher looking engines to ensure that they look and run great.  The parts should be easier to get in the UK and your know-how will add value to these engines.  It's an easier sell and you should be able to get your time and money back out of it.  You might even consider a price adder for the costs associated with the repair or rebuilding required on the less attractive engines.    An American buyer is way more likely to shell out good money when they have a high degree of confidence that the engine is fundamentally sound, runs good, and still has life left for whatever service is required.

Also, if a prepper is buying an engine as part of his highly reliable power system, he'll want to be sure that the engine will work when absolutely needed.  Thus, the engine must be in good working order when received by the buyer.

Thanks, again, to Mark and Mike for letting us share in this worthwhile endeavor.  Charles

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
Matthew,   you`re  just a bitter jealous guy with 2 worn out CS cylinders and a shot FR1, get a life!

Why can`t you leave your abrasion in the CS cylinder where it belongs?  Mark

Spencer you need to calm down.

I think that the above observation needs to be directed at everyone concerned.

There is a new reality is for UK enthusiasts, in that the emerging American interest is Listers CS engines will drive up prices significantly, and will continue to do so for the for-seeable future. Who ever is prepared to pay the market rate gets the engine, that's how Capitalism works.

For UK stationary engine enthusiasts the days of buying a reasonably priced Lister CS are long gone, due in part to eBay, and also the relative ease of availability of cheap (cloned) parts.

I am just glad that I amassed a large collection of water cooled Lister diesel engines (and an even greater collection of new OEM spares)  before they ever became popular, and even going as far as rescuing engines from scrapyards at a time when other people were of the opinion that Lister diesel engines would never be collectable.

For UK enthusiasts there are far better Lister diesel engines to concentrate on collecting:  FR, CD, CE, and JP engines. Which due to limited parts availability [unless of course you know where to source parts from. In which case they may as well be made from unobtanium], will never be as desirable as the CS. The FR engine is a case in point, and particuarly in multicylinder format is superior to a CS in every respect I can think of, if spares are not a consideration.

After having worked on many CS engines myself, and seeing how crude some aspects of the design are. Such as flywheel keys working loose on startomatic sets, due to the flywheel weight, and main bearing crankshaft diameters that cant be ground undersize due to having the same diameter as what the flywheels are keyed to. I would advise any prospective Lister CS owner to carefully inspect flywheel key condition and main bearing clearances before considering buying one of these engines (let alone buying one that is on the other side the Atlantic), as the cost of a genuine crankshaft and bearings is truly eye-watering.  This is why on a personal basis the Lister CS situation is no loss to me. As there are far better later Lister diesel engines (including air cooled) that can still be found for very low prices in the UK and elsewhere.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:34:02 PM by listard-jp2 »