Author Topic: Wmo  (Read 207980 times)

spencer1885

• View Profile
Re: Wmo
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:31 PM »
Spencer

I cannot remember but it seams someone popped into this forum and had a twin roid that said he had 17000 hours all on WMO on it and it was for sale. He said it was worn out and he had moved it outside where rain had stuck it. I have searched but I don't seam to find the post. does anyone here remember reading about it. The post wasn't to long ago and did generate some comment. I may have this site mixed up with the Micro chp site. It would be good to find this guy and see if the post of 17000 is right or if it was 1700 just cannot remember. Tried searching the other site but no luck.............

Billswan

Billswan,
Yes I remember reading that and thinking to my self I bet the liners and rings and probably other rings he had fitted had worn out because of the WMO  and he was probably only selling it because he knew that WMO does not work.
If this is the case and you are going to tell me the same when you pull yours apart then some one should post the results to help other people from making the same mistakes in going to the expense of setting up a Lister to run on WMO..

Spencer

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »
Spencer

I cannot remember but it seams someone popped into this forum and had a twin roid that said he had 17000 hours all on WMO on it and it was for sale. He said it was worn out and he had moved it outside where rain had stuck it. I have searched but I don't seam to find the post. does anyone here remember reading about it. The post wasn't to long ago and did generate some comment. I may have this site mixed up with the Micro chp site. It would be good to find this guy and see if the post of 17000 is right or if it was 1700 just cannot remember. Tried searching the other site but no luck.............

Billswan

Billswan,
Yes I remember reading that and thinking to my self I bet the liners and rings and probably other rings he had fitted had worn out because of the WMO  and he was probably only selling it because he knew that WMO does not work.
If this is the case and you are going to tell me the same when you pull yours apart then some one should post the results to help other people from making the same mistakes in going to the expense of setting up a Lister to run on WMO..

Spencer

OK then if it is here I will look some more. If he will answer an email maybe we will learn something.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
The other site; search    
12/2 Listeroid & 10kw with parts     Username    artp

claims 17K hours
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »
I found it here http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5566.0

On this site he had no replies.

Got to go check out the other site. thanks for finding it at the other site Tijean

Billswan

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »
Looks like he only got 1 reply  back on the other site so I will try to PM him and see if there is any response.

Billswan

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2010, 01:42:30 AM »
Ok sent a pm from this site with 3 questions.

We will see if he responds...............

Billswan

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2010, 01:48:48 AM »
I don't know if I'd consider "only" 17k hours as a failure. At my rate of usage that is another 80 years.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »
I don't know if I'd consider "only" 17k hours as a failure. At my rate of usage that is another 80 years.

I am not sure what your posts are trying to say apart from you don't use your engine and you are alright.
That's nice for you then, but what's the point posting that apart from making your self feel good.
The whole point of this thread is to find out if any one is using there generator every day as there main power supply and is running it on WMO as a sole fuel and if they have had problems with ring and bore wear.
The fact you only have put such a very tiny amount of hours on your engine and have not had problems is not proof its not being damaged .
 I did not have any problems until the engine clocked up hours so your posts don't count as proof that its a good source of free fuel.

The twin cylinder listeroid that was for sale that the seller was running on WMO may hold some interesting insight to every day use on such a fuel.

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYZqAzEuPE8&feature=related

According to this guy, he canges oil every 2160 hours!!!!!!
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »

I spoke to him some time ago he has not got that engine any more but has a  battery bank and a large inverter.
 He also has a newer generator for charging when the battery bank gets low which runs on diesel.
He was being a bit over enthusiastic at the time but the reality was some what different. ;)

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »

I spoke to him some time ago he has not got that engine any more but has a  battery bank and a large inverter.
 He also has a newer generator for charging when the battery bank gets low which runs on diesel.
He was being a bit over enthusiastic at the time but the reality was some what different. ;)

So what happened,  he wore it out?

One other question you said your engine wore out because you think the ash is abrasive. How about the exhaust valve stem and guide? You would think they would also be well worn and need replacing.

Billswan

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2010, 12:53:41 PM »
One other though before I head out for the day. It seams the fuel in my day tank must separate and stratify. The day tank holds about 60 gallons and is above and beside the engine in a 60 degree room. Over the course of a couple days I pumped 70 gallons into it and for a few days I had lots of nozzle and chamber coking but now after nearing the bottom of the tank the last about 2 days the engine has not had the carbon knocks so I have to conclude that I must need some sort of stirring devise to keep the oil from separating either that or I am not getting a good mix to start with.

Billswan

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
The top of the exhaust valve gets hot and dries out,this has happened several times.
When I mean the top I am talking about the part the rocker pushes on.
I wonder If the WMO burns much hotter as the exhaust side of the head is very dry.
The higher temps could also be part of the problem with the bore.
The engine on youtube was sold to his friend, he did not go in  to much detail but it was not a success.
The valve seats and valve faces on my engine did need cleaning up and grinding ,it had new valves and guides at the start of the 1800 hours and they were genuine Lister.
The guides felt sloppy when new and I did not notice much difference in them when I checked them.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
One other though before I head out for the day. It seams the fuel in my day tank must separate and stratify. The day tank holds about 60 gallons and is above and beside the engine in a 60 degree room. Over the course of a couple days I pumped 70 gallons into it and for a few days I had lots of nozzle and chamber coking but now after nearing the bottom of the tank the last about 2 days the engine has not had the carbon knocks so I have to conclude that I must need some sort of stirring devise to keep the oil from separating either that or I am not getting a good mix to start with.

Billswan

That's why I only mix it as I need it and it gets used up every day and the next day I mix the next lot so it does not sit in a tank and possibly separate.
I mix in some petrol, diesel mixed fuel which I have collected from garages.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »

I am not sure what your posts are trying to say apart from you don't use your engine and you are alright.
That's nice for you then, but what's the point posting that apart from making your self feel good.
The whole point of this thread is to find out if any one is using there generator every day as there main power supply and is running it on WMO as a sole fuel and if they have had problems with ring and bore wear.
The fact you only have put such a very tiny amount of hours on your engine and have not had problems is not proof its not being damaged .
 I did not have any problems until the engine clocked up hours so your posts don't count as proof that its a good source of free fuel.

The twin cylinder listeroid that was for sale that the seller was running on WMO may hold some interesting insight to every day use on such a fuel.

My engine has almost 1100 hours on it so I'm not too far behind you. The engine for sale had a claimed 17k on wmo. Yes wear is increased by burning WMO. My point is to determine how best to process WMO for motor fuel to minimize ware and what is the easiest engine to maintain and low cost to rebuild when running it. Your report of the cylinder wear is the first I've heard of localized around the exhaust valve, so my thoughts are that perhaps the issue is with the tolerances or chrome plating. And yes powering and heating my house without being connected to the grid and buying much in the way of fuel makes me very happy.  :-*
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.