Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oil change interval  (Read 38478 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Oil change interval
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 01:26:20 AM »

An observation:
At 600 hours, I've added a filter (Stationary Engine Parts) and changed over from straight 30 wt to 15W40 Rotella. Been running that for a few days now.
It was about 5*C this afternoon when I started up using using the crank rather than friction starter. Does not seem to be an appreciable difference in cranking effort. Most of the resistance in my case comes from the PMG.
BTW, straight 30wt is available and stocked in 5 gal. buckets at the NAPA dealer in the town nearest here. About 1/2 the cost of the 15W40.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Oil change interval
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »
By some stroke of luck, my spare time today coincided with 130 hrs  on 12/2014 oil.   So it's got a fresh batch.   Much less fuzz on the 4 magnets I have in the sump.  Also figured out a pretty clean way to drain the oil, using a plank across the mounting rails and a cut-down 1 gallon milk jug to sit on the plank and it under the drain spout.   Had to reinstall the plug a couple times and transfer oil to a larger container, but no drips on the engine, frame or concrete and not much mop up inside afterwards.  No sludge inside, using Delo 15-40 and just used a gloved hand to squeegee the oil out the drain (which is a half inch too short to not drip on the outer lip of the crankcase.   Old oil looked better than 20 hr lawnmower oil, not completely inky black.
 This is a single sump, no pump Metro.   Refilled with just over a gallon, and just clears the castle nuts of the crank.

Doing maintenance in fire season, at times the smoke can get bad.  My place is OK, the 45K acre fire is about 70 miles SE of me (and Tom) blowing to the east.