Author Topic: Access Again  (Read 28423 times)

TGEMilwaukee

• View Profile
Re: Access Again
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »
Mike,

It was good meeting you and all the other fine folks at the auction in Arthur, IL.  I am sorry that I came across as negative to your plans to import a contaner shipment of original Listers to the US.  My reaction was rather one of caution, concern and common sense.  I am not an expert so anything I say should be taken as my opinion.  My concern is that buyers are sending monies to a foreign country which puts their money at risk with very little recourse, hence buyer beware.  Nothing intended personally to buyers sellers or yourself.

Other concerns are that if the seller is creating individual bill of sales for each engine and buyer.  The buyer will be considered Importer of Record and each buyer needs to be registered with the US Customs and Border Protection before they are loaded for shipment.  Once the engines arrive in the US who is going to be acting as Customs Broker and are they going to be providing the Surety Bond?

Finally, I would suggest that you use tarrif code 8408.90.1040 if possible because there is no duty to pay customs.  I wish you the best of luck and agree that this could make a group of people very happy to own an original Lister.  Although I still don't understand your motivation....

Tim

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
Tim,                                                                                                                                                                              you have aired what I consider to be a problem regarding this venture also another of which I was unaware,  now its my wish to realise the best price possible for Petes and my engines and expecting buyers to send monies on trust to someone they only know of through a forum may prevent this, converslely it would be unwise of me to pay to send engines out to people I only know of through the forum and my collective risk would far outweigh any buyers individual risk.
A way around this would be some kind of bond comprising of a percentage of the total cost, held by someone who is beyond reproach and only payable to me when the container seals are broken and the contents verified. 

The fact is that its impossible to to run this kind of venture and keep everyone happy and am sure that if I was to say that an engine had a snapped con rod then someone would opine that it was far more broken than that.

Mark.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
I wish you the best of luck and agree that this could make a group of people very happy to own an original Lister.  Although I still don't understand your motivation....
Tim you answered you own question. It has always been my goal with my venture and this venture to make it possible for allot of people to own a Lister.

Mark as for the paperwork I will take care of this part for you. After all sales are final the buyers can email me because I will need their addresses and I will fill it out then air mail it to you so it can go in the container like a manifest, this is what we are doing. The code Tim speaks of states these engines are for agriculture use. We decided it might be a little far fetched for the custom agents to believe.

Mark we have something over here known as escrow agents. This is what the money could be placed in and it will be secure. If you would like I could see if my bank would do this then in the end all of the money could be wired to you at a lesser rate than pay pal. This is just not worth it for a couple thousand dollars. Keep me informed of what you need me to do. Mike

Mark I checked with my bank and I will have to find an escrow agent. They are not part of a bank. I will work on that next week to see what expenses are. My banker said it is charged on each transaction. I think that means each time they send money out. So it would only be once. Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:10:52 AM by DRDEATH »
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:12 AM »
Mike.
Thanks for that.
Assuming these escrow agents are bona fide then it sounds as though this could be the way forward and help assuage the doubts of prospective bidders.    Its always better to build trust slowly but thats impossible in this situation and the success of this venture will depend upon everyone being satisfied with their purchase and us being satisfied with our $ return on our outlay.
Anyways enough talk I have some serious engine filming to do.

Mark.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
I know the agents are required to be bonded. I would guess for a large amount since allot of land sales require money to be put into escrow because sometimes people have to do title searches to make sure the propriety has no assessments or leans against it. I would guess you could sell several containers before you maxed out the amount these agents are bonded for.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
There should be  1 of my sons and 5 of my own CS engines shown running on utube shortly , I dont know how to cut and paste and all that so here are the titles,  1.  Dancing Lister CS   2.  Marks Lister CHP Setup    3. Marks Lister 6-1 Startomatic        4.  Marks Lister 5-1 Engine    5. Marks Lister 3-1 Engine     6. Richards Lister 6-1 Startomatic engine   I have also uploaded some photos into the photo gallery and will be putting some more on soon.

Mark

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 02:15:47 AM »
i have been thinking about this now for several days and I would like to go on public record and apologize to TGEMilwaukee. I don't have a problem if someone attacks me or questions my integrity. I just get upset if someone does it to my friends. I may have over reacted so I am sorry for what I have posted Tim and for the PM I sent. It would be nice if we could live in a world that everyone could trust who they deal with. I still have only one motive. To make it possible for anyone who would like a real Lister engine can get one, nothing else. DRDEATH
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:18:16 AM by DRDEATH »

billypurves

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
I am adding my own 3 cents worth here only on my own opinion and having nothing to do with this venture what so ever.

It seems that faith and trust have to be here in this project somewhere between buyer and seller. Lets face it for the sums of money that are involved, is it worth being tagged as a thief and a liar for?

Who is to say the Escrew Agent will not obscond with the money too? etc,etc,etc.

SA245

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:28 AM »
I personally dont think that the Escrow Agent will be taking off with the cash- They have to be licensed and bonded (read that as insured) against losses like you are referring to.  As long as the agent/agency is researched and has been in business for a good long time, I believe he would be just fine.  As was intoned earlier, its not really worth losing your business or being branded as a thief over this level of assets. If it did happen it would take time to recover assets thru the insurance, but it could be done.

Steve A. (SA245)

billypurves

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
Hi SteveA,  I was not inferring that the agent would abscond with the cash,but making the statement that trust has to come into the equation sometime.  Regards Bill.

muns53

• Lister wanne-be
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:36 AM »
Well, forums and emails are good fodder for creating misunderstandings...  :-\

I'm in on the "DD" Lister shipment - very psyched to be finally getting myself onto the independent-power-producing bandwagon... and with a restored, original Lister!! What could be better!! Woot!!  ;D

FWIW, I believe people can do stuff for the good of others without regard for personal gain. Happens all the time & I witness it frequently... in our own local communities - volunteer organizations, civic groups, churches, among our friends & relatives, etc. No reason why altruism can't carry forward in a community like where we all have similar goals and interests. Just sayin'...
Heading towards personal energy independence...
Lister/Listeroid wanna-be
8.5KW roof-mount solar panels
'02 Ford Excursion 7.3L w- Vegistroke V3
'03 Jetta Wagon Tdi w- modified Greasecar

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 01:20:10 AM »
muns I guess in reality I do have a small personal gain. I believe across America there is a large group of people who share the same intrest and goals I have. I do feel good that I was just a small tool with determination to see my goal and others goals come true. I also feel good that I may have opened a channel for people from the UK to send some of their engine over here. I am told we send a good share of antique engines, tractors, cars and parts over there. Share and Share alike is a good motto to live by. DD

slowspeed

• Spend less save more
  • 12/2 3phase 25kw gen head
    • View Profile
    • Deserthydrogen
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »
Wow can we all just get along (com by ya my Lord ) Thanks to the internet and to this forum I have been able to get my Lister and a ton of very great info.
after finding out about the importing of the Listers I was happy to join in with the group.Got a very nice 6/1 paid for and sitting over at Marks place in the UK.
Since finding that one and talking to more people in the Uk .I have found and payed for 6 more listers all 50 years old or older (per or EPA rules).My plan was to just get a good one from Mark, he has gone thru the engine and photos look great!That engine cost me about $800 us so far.The other engines I have found are not as nice or have not been gone thru.I have plans to put the engines in some small shops here in phoenix and the owners will be able to start engine in the morn and run all day off of WVO for a fee.(oops need to stay on task )Paypal has been the way of payment so far although I send Mark fedex cash.I am a risk taker and have been for 53 years nothing ventured nothing gained .The one chap in the UK Ade will be buying a lift truck and picking up my engines and any others that need him.

Mark and Pete have a very nice set of engines and the risk would be alot less to buy one or more of their engines .they have been looked after unlike my barn finds!

Thanks to DD for taking the time to work on this ventur.I plan to drive to KC to pick up my engines and can also help any other engines make their way Out West
Let the bidding begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Whogeveme2igot2whogivame3igot3allrightfolgs igot3we3whogo4-4gotagooo5yaallinalldonefolksgoenoncegoentwice
Gota love an auction
Good luck to all

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:10:11 PM by slowspeed »
LISTER 12/2
WITTIE 16/1
IHC 1.5 hp
Gasifier and HHO
Stirling engine
1983 Dodge Running WVO
1983 Benz Running WVO
Home made solar