Author Topic: Lister SR-1 advice needed  (Read 6891 times)

Bablitz

• View Profile
Lister SR-1 advice needed
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:27:23 AM »
Hi, I recently acquired a 1 and a half Lister SR1's and need some advice on where to start prepping the one that is closest to being able to run, eg things to check prior to attempting to start. It hasn't been run since the late 70s I am sure, looks complete (I will try to post some pics later) one of the first things I want to do is swap the flywheels (one is set up to use a starter, the other isn't) I need advice on removal before putting a jeezus big spanner to it, ie what is the thread direction, do I need a puller? if so what type.
Thanks in advance
Bud

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:34:42 AM by Bablitz »

Bablitz

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR-1 advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:29:36 AM »
I have a serial # for this unit "1960SR120" does this mean it is of 1960 manufacture? WHat does the "20"  stand for?
Thanks in advance
Bud

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:33:30 AM by Bablitz »

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »
If I remember correctly it is anti clockwise to loosen,large head but only about a half inch bolt. It is on a keyed taper shaft a puller is not normally needed a swift rap will normally work.

Potter

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
Hello Bablitz,
                Your Lister ID plate decodes as follows--   The 1960 is the serial number within its production year. The SR is engine model, and 1 is number of cylinders. The remaining digits are added to 1950 to give the production year, therefore 1950 + 20 = 1970.
        Following your query on the IF forum, and seeing your photo's, your engine is reverse rotation, (as most were).   I see the coupling bolts on the flywheel, so you could pull it by drilling a plate (half inch thick or more), to fit over them,  and with the big nut loosened, tighten the 3 nuts against it till it comes free, or jolt it with a hammer if it needs help. Good opportunity to change the shaft oil seal if there is any sign of leakage. If it is the brass and felt type, it can be replaced by a standard double lip seal.
        Flywheel nut thread will be normal direction.  Flywheel rotates clockwise as you view it.  Regards,   Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

Bablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:42:15 AM »
Thanks for the info, do you happen to know a part number/source for the oil seals? The folks at Stationary Engine parts sell a full gasket set but specifically exclude the oil seals...
Thanks in advance
Bud

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »
Hi again Bablitz,
                     Don't think I have easy access to a seal I can measure, and each maker has his own part number, but when you get it apart, you can measure the old seal and shaft for ID, OD and depth (or brass ring type if that's what you have).  Take the measurements to any good bearing and seal supplier. If there is a choice, get a double lip type, and clockwise rotation if available. Fit it with a smear of light grease between the 2 lips. Tap it in gently with a circular tool that contacts it near its outside diameter. Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.