Puppeteer

Author Topic: So now what????  (Read 10378 times)

westcoaster

• View Profile
So now what????
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:33:14 AM »
Ok, ok, ok.....

I went back and picked up the FR2 from the Ashlu mine. Some time between last year and this a scrap guy got ahold of the thing and pulled the copper and aluminum off it.
Missing the valve cover, variable governor and oil return lines.

The engine is stuck but there is a little "play" in the flywheel. I would guess bearing slop.

Before pictures:

After pictures loaded in the back of my truck. engine is sitting nose down on the flywheel. Not the best position to be in but was the most secure for transport...

Anyone have some FR2 parts for sale?

wrightkiller

• View Profile
Re: So now what????
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
You did get the gen and frame also ?    :)

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »
I have the frame (part of it pictured up against the valves) but the gen head was stripped for it's copper. I do have the rag joint so fitting a new gen head should be easy(er)

I really have to shake my head as it really didn't make any sense. The ammount of money they would have got for the copper is pennies vs. the ammount of money they would have got for selling the other electric motors and generator whole.

What all is missing off the lister in the pictures?

edit:
Hmmmm..... Since I don't have the generator head perhaps this is in the wrong section...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:10:18 PM by westcoaster »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
Two bit lazy thieves.  If they had a full set of brains between them they'd be dangerous rather than a total pain in the ass.  Washing dishes at Mickey D's is easier and far more lucrative.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 03:48:19 AM »
Off loaded. I placed it backwards on the stand so more of the weight is in the middle. When they built the stand the one leg is right under the front support. this makes the whole thing nose heavy. We had a "little issue" with that when we were getting the engine. Whole thing flipped over on it's head. Broke the exhaust manifold as a result of that...

Any clue how to get the head off this thing? I had all the bolts off. Couple soft taps with a brass punch with no results.

I need a parts FR2....

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
Hello fellow Lister enthusiasts, I have been a lurker on this forum for many years, and this thread has prompted me to finally join up.

The OP could try a contact I have found in the UK, the following details were taken from an open forum:

I have for sale various parts from Lister FR4 engines (1 marine and 1 industrial). Blackstone 3G gearbox in pieces. These came as a job lot when I was looking for a FR4 industrial - still looking and could swap for a running FR4 marine.

Mike 01453 549105

With the exception of the exhaust manifold, I think that he would have most of the parts you require, as the FR2 and FR4 have many interchagable parts.

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
Hello fellow Lister enthusiasts, I have been a lurker on this forum for many years, and this thread has prompted me to finally join up.

The OP could try a contact I have found in the UK, the following details were taken from an open forum:

I have for sale various parts from Lister FR4 engines (1 marine and 1 industrial). Blackstone 3G gearbox in pieces. These came as a job lot when I was looking for a FR4 industrial - still looking and could swap for a running FR4 marine.

Mike 01453 549105

With the exception of the exhaust manifold, I think that he would have most of the parts you require, as the FR2 and FR4 have many interchagable parts.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the information. Actually I believe I have already been in contact with mike regarding these parts. There is a source a little closer to home but have some reservation about the condition of some of the movable bits I need.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
Not a problem, if you dont have any success with your other source closer to home and Mike, send me a PM and I will forward to you a phone number of another source of new and used parts for Lister FR engines (who has being rebuilding these engines for marine applications for many years), who is also located in the UK.

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »
I managed to get the head off the engine today. I was pleased with what I saw. Cylinder bores and piston tops were nice and clean with no visible corrosion or real wear. (piston tops had a little bit of black stain from carbon buildup. Part numbers could easly be read)

Found the engine number stamped on the flywheel: 272FR2R10 any help translating that would be appreciated...

I tried tapping the tops of the pistons down with a wood dowell and a heavy hammer. I believe they are moving a little (fractions of a millimeter) as it's taking up the slack on the crank (bearing slop on the big end connecting rod bearings)

Not too sure what has the pistons stuck. All I can think of is possible corrosion between the pistons and liner due to dissimilar metals or the carbon buildup has somehow expanded and is causing excessive friction.  I have poured ATF in the cylinders and will let that soak in for a bit. Any other suggestions?

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:17:18 AM »
The generator looks like a KATO.  These units are excellent.   I have a Lister driving a Kato  and I am in Canada, Vancouver Island, if you need any advice on the generator.  dp

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
It WAS a Kato...

Sadly all that's left of that is the scrap steel...
I suppose I could see if the stator housing is still around and find out about getting it rewound...

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »
Little bit of an update....

Managed to get the engine unstuck, the pistons out and the rings off the pistons. Broke every oil ring and two of the smaller compression rings. (the rings were stuck in the pistons)
cleaned everything up, removing all the carbon off the pistons and reassembling (minus rings for now) in the engine using generous ammounts of oil.

The liners are in good shape no significant rust pits. Pistons are in good shape for being stuck in the engine, however, it appears as though some of the piston crowns has been eaten away and on one piston the top ring has hammered the aluminum over slightly (like what you would see if you were to hammer a post into the ground)

I also hooked up a rubber hose to where the oil pump would pump into the engine. hung that up high and filled with oil. this "flushed" some of the oil passages of dirt as well as lubed the bearings I wasn't planning on removing. (there were open ports in the oil gallery were pieces were removed. this was a way of pushing any possible contaminants back out again)

Post mortum on this poor engine indicates it wasn't feeling all that well toward the end of it's life. Weak valve springs on one cylinder, gobs of carbon plugging up one of the pistons and what appears to be wear on the big end bearings. It may not have had many oil changes....