Author Topic: Import questions - not EPA related  (Read 2873 times)

pigseye

• View Profile
Import questions - not EPA related
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »
Total newbie here on importing have a few dumb questions to ask.

I live in WI and might want to import my own Lister.  However I'm not sure that it is practical or possible to do this remotely.  i.e. from Wisconsin.

If I can get a Listeroid to a NY port, how are all the financial transactions processed for port fees, custom fees, EPA fees, inspection fees, etc.?   Do the agencies that collect fees accept credit cards?

If I'm not physically there, am I more likely to be "taken?"  Or are charges fairly standard based on weight and processing required?

Once the fees are paid, I understand that I need to get a delivery company to pick it up and bring it to a trucking station near my home (St. Paul, Minneapolis, MN area).

Could someone give me a high level overview of this process?

Thanks,
Steve

SCOTT

• View Profile
Re: Import questions - not EPA related
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:18:15 PM »
I doubt it makes sense to inport just one engine, you are better buying from someone who is importing several engines. 
As far as fees, you need to contact an import agent, he will take care of all the details, but remember everytime someone touches your engine they expect to be paid.
some fees to expect:
import agent $150
Dock fees varies widely $100-$500
Storage $20/day
shipping to WI $400?

my opinion don't bother importing your own, it is not worth the hassle. Just buy from this guy if he has the type of engine you want at a reasonable price. 

Trygve Norvold
Woodville, WI
651-271-1689

I dont know what he sells and have never spoken to him but apparently he has some in stock.
BTW I am placing an order on the 10th for delivery to NY port

SCOTT

net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:37:24 PM »
Hi Scott,
I have already spoken to Tryg about listers and been to his place.  He's a great guy and has a nice setup going.

But if I wanted an engine that he doesn't carry or that Field Marshall builds, like a 28/2 or a 25/2, then I would want to investigate other options.  Thus importing one engine.

Tryg is looking into a 20hp for me and will hopefully import a few for sale.

Thanks,
Steve

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:05:50 PM »
Would it be feasable to find a Canadian Deale, purchase it up there and bring it in yourself?
Just a thought .... Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 11:46:16 PM »
Sure that would work but ai don't know any canadian dealers who are very close.