Author Topic: Is anyone still importing Changfa engines?  (Read 7143 times)

rbk

• View Profile
Is anyone still importing Changfa engines?
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:09:47 AM »
I'm fairly new to slow speed diesels, and it looks like I may be about 6 months too late to get a Changfa.  Considering the EPA exemption for stationary applications, there doesn't seem to be any "real" (as opposed to imagined) reason to not import them.  Doesn't anyone have the gumption to import these?

If further importation is just not going to happen, what are the alternatives for reliable (read simple and no electronic controls) and inexpensive (if not cheap) slow speed diesels?

Rob

sawmiller

Re: Is anyone still importing Changfa engines?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:49:01 AM »
Hi Rob

I think  power-co.net has a few left i'm not shur what size he has .

Regards

Tim

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:11:44 AM »
From my understanding the stationary exemption has "expired" and even stationary engines need to be compliant.

Although easy to import for personal use, it would be just about impossible to bring these in to the US for resale.

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

rbk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 02:23:24 AM »
Tim, thanks. I gave them a call and ordered a 195 (they are out of the 1115, which is what I really wanted).

Steve, I'm clueless about how to import one of these.  Any tips on how to get started?

Rob

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:24:05 AM »
Well,
     ChangaFa is gonna know all about the EPA.   They're probably wanting to deal with dealers, not end users directly.  They're probably not going to buy that your "sample order" of one non-EPA engine is actually a sample order that will generate more sales.  But, if you can talk them in to it, go for it.   Costs will be high to ship one engine.

Steve

P.S.  Does running a Yanmar clone at/near idle make it a slow speed diesel????
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

rbk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 08:49:33 PM »
Well, someone is still importing Changfa engines--just sent an email to Changa and they gave me the name of a US distributor who can help me.  His name is Muhammed--likely not born here.  It figures, for a number of reasons...
Rob

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 05:01:58 AM »
There is someone named Mohhamed importing diesel engines on Ebay but I think they are Chang Zous not Changfas. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:42:09 AM by pigseye »

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 01:25:37 PM »
I'd be pretty leery of any Chinese engine EXCEPT ChangFa from the stories I've read.

I've got a Powersolutions/Changfa R185 and I'm just absolutely pleased with it.  It runs like a Chinese copy of a Swiss watch. ;D

I have about 6 hours on it so far, and did the first oil change this weekend.  The oil came out just a bit black, of course, but there was almost nothing in the way of grit, metal, sand, chunks, etc.  Just a few little particles here and there.  I was really expecting a lot more garbage.

It also runs very smooth, the only real vibration coming from the actual power pulses.

Chris

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »
There is an ebay dealer named Mohammed that is username motorsgeneratorsandstuff (I recall) in Columbus, OH.  I have spoken with him and he seems like a nice fellow. I think his prices are super competitive and would not hesitate to purchase from him.  I have heard secondhand from customers that he is a good dealer and I know he handles the real Mcoy Cangfas, as well as other engines and ST generator heads.  He travelled to China recently to investigate the Chinese engine products personally (how`s that as an example of being committed to your business!) and since then I now see him offering a really sweet Vee twin diesel copy like a Lanmar engine that looks like a perfect fit for my garden tractor when the time is right.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:08:34 AM »
Muhammed on eBay

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZmotorsQ5fgeneratorsQ5fandQ5fstuff

I got 2 Chanfas from him, and one ST head.

He has a ChangFa listed right now, and tells me he has more on the way. Should be arriving soooon.
Do not trust the "grid" folks!