Puppeteer

Author Topic: Info on the Lister/Listeroid range!  (Read 7033 times)

Zagato

• View Profile
Info on the Lister/Listeroid range!
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »
Hi, I am researching these engines from scratch.  I can find info on CS 5/1 and 6/1 but it stops there, did they ever make an 8/1 for instance or is that where Listeroids take over?  When did Lister stop making their engines.

Not to insult anybody which is why I am asking the question on this forum section but are Listeroids any good, have they been tried and tested long term.  The reason I ask is that I have just seen You Tube footage of them being made  :-[, and unpacked with quality problems! 

Are Listeroids identical to the old Lister in terms of injectors/operating parts, or are they uprated for modern useage?  Thanks

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Info on the Lister/Listeroid range!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
Lister did end the CS series with the 8/1, production ended in 1984 would you believe !  To get upto speed on the genuine Lister CS I strongly recommend that you buy the bible, The Lister CS Story by David Edgington. You can buy it online from his website.
Listeroids are a totally different Jackanory all together !  The number of different manufacturers is prolific as are the experiences of buying, owning and running one !
There is a massive amount of information on this forum regarding the trials and tribulations of using a Listeroid, too much to condense here, so I suggest you make a cuppa, sit down and have a good long read through in the Listeroid section.
Some of the Indian made Listeroid spares can be used on genuine Listers, quality is variable but they have been used satisfactorily. The engines themselves are not identical to Listers, there can be many differences, eg, taper roller main bearings.
The consensus here is that if you can find the genuine item, don't even consider a Listeroid.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Zagato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
Thanks again Compig, I'll order the book and stick with a Lister.   

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
I imported a real 6/1 SOM to Canada.  Some issues came up, me getting ill, that caused me to stop restoring the SOM and trade it for a Jokson 10/1 from JohnF

Frankly the 10/2 with the 7KVA head has worked well for me for the past three years.  I use it as a back up and run the whole house with it.  The build quality is no where near that of a real Lister... but... So far I have no reason to complain... mine works
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Zagato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
As Listers are readily available over here (along with strong prices if recent E-bay sales are anythnig to go by :o !) I should get one.  I am going to start my engineering business...............you guys over the pond are all loaded  ;D

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
Hi, I am researching these engines from scratch.  I can find info on CS 5/1 and 6/1 but it stops there, did they ever make an 8/1 for instance or is that where Listeroids take over?  When did Lister stop making their engines.

Not to insult anybody which is why I am asking the question on this forum section but are Listeroids any good, have they been tried and tested long term.  The reason I ask is that I have just seen You Tube footage of them being made  :-[, and unpacked with quality problems! 

Are Listeroids identical to the old Lister in terms of injectors/operating parts, or are they uprated for modern useage?  Thanks

Sir ,
 Hello This Is Amarbir and I Am From India .Here All Type Of Products Are there Good Bad Worst Etc .so if a Listeroid is Assembled Using Bad And Worst Material Its Bound to Work Like That .Complete Lister Engine Spares Can Be Arranged Here In India and then a Quality Engine Can Be Asssembled .This Means after that i can tag it with my own brand ,this is what is being done here . ;D
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

Zagato

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
Amarbir, I suppose the bottom line is do they work.  They can not all be bad as no one would buy them and as T19 says his example works.  They may not be of the original engineering quality but very little is these days.  I run 1960's Land Rovers because a modern example fell to bits on me - and this was before the majority of parts were made in India.  The economic climate has changed of course and items are more disposable.  If your product is reliable and lasts long enough to justify the outlay then what more can anyone else ask for.  I hope you gain a reputation for quality that will also make the competition tighten up their act.  Good luck to you and your business.

Chris 

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:50 AM »
Chris,

Listeroids do work. I rely on an Ashwamegh 6/1 and ST5 combo for backup power on our off-grid home. There is just shy of 1k hours on the engine and it is running well on waste hydraulic oil from work, waste motor oil and at times waste vegie oil. The genset was also used to power the construction of our home. Yes there have been quality issues, however nothing insurmountable.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
Chris,

Listeroids do work. I rely on an Ashwamegh 6/1 and ST5 combo for backup power on our off-grid home. There is just shy of 1k hours on the engine and it is running well on waste hydraulic oil from work, waste motor oil and at times waste vegie oil. The genset was also used to power the construction of our home. Yes there have been quality issues, however nothing insurmountable.
Build quality will out - the 6/1 that we had at our previous residence was a very early one - 1932 as I recall. It had almost daily use and during it's lifetime up until the time we moved house about three years ago, the only maintenance it had needed were three head gasket replacements, one main bearing, and an oil seal. I estimate that it had clocked up in excess of 100,000 hours, and it is still going strong!l
At our new residence, although we have access to grid power, we choose to go the independent way, and have another genuine Lister as backup. This one is a 3/1 made in 1960.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1