Author Topic: Research: Where did you put your flywheel weight?  (Read 7122 times)

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
Research: Where did you put your flywheel weight?
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:36:50 AM »
Hello Gentlemen,

I thought it might be interesting and informative if we took a poll of where everyone that has balanced their engines, had finally put the extra weight and how much. If enough of us participate, it could possibly show a pattern and help us better understand the nature of these engines.

If you could, please reply with the following information based on the diagram below:

1. Engine Make and Size (Metro 6/1, CDM 12/2 etc.)
2. Crank Counter balance on Flywheel; Yes or No
3. Weight applied to Flywheel A and its locations (for example 3 lbs between 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock.)
4. Weight applied to Flywheel B and its locations (see above instructions)

Now, if you don't remember the exact weight, that's okay, I'm still interested in location and a rough estimate of how much weight if possible.

Now, as some of you know, I'm just beginning the process of balancing my engine and the results of this poll could prove very useful to me. But it could also prove useful to everyone in refining their balance and improving performance.

If you think this is a waste of time, well let me know, but I have a theory festering in my noggin that there could be inherent design flaws in certain engines and if we're able to track down certain patterns for said engines, we could save some poor blokes allot of heartache.

My regards,
Murph'
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Research: Where did you put your flywheel weight?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »

1. Engine Make and Size.........  Vidhata 6/1 Powersolutions 6/1
2. Crank Counter balance on Flywheel......... Yes & Yes
3. Weight applied to Flywheel A and its locations....... 6 o'clock'ish
4. Weight applied to Flywheel B and its locations ...... 6 o'clock'ish

The Vidhata was a pound or so P/S was much less.....yes you will find different issues in several engine brands. All I have chatted with have added in the 6 oclock area. Your weight will vary.

Dave

Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
1. 6/1 PS
2. No counterweights.
3. 2.25LB(approx) between about 4:30 and 7:30, spread equally on either side of the spokes.
4. Same as 3.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »
1.  Metro 6/1
2.  Yes
3.  About 1 pound between 9 & 10 o'clock
4. Same on both sides
When I first bought my engine it would actually jump up off the ground into the air taking the frame and gen head with it.  This started at about 350 RPM and it lept higher as the RPM increased  :o !  It did nothing for me to add weight to the frame, I could not believe how much force it lept up with!  This is why the guy I bought it from sold it, it was not usable at all above idle speed!  It seemed to me that the sheer weight of the rod and piston changing direction at TDC was the problem.  I set the frame on 2 pipes and tethered it with a lot of bungee cords to 4 55 gallon drums filled with water so the engine was free to move and then I took out the changeover plug and set up a golf cart electric motor to spin the engine.  At first I tried using a pencil to mark the flywheels but this was just confusing me so I just started placing the weights around trial and error style.  I placed weights on both flywheels at the same time & spots for every test.  I found that the area of placement and the amount of weight was not very critical and setteled on what was simple and worked.  I used a 1" travel dial indicater to keep an eye on back and forth movement and if I add more weight than what I have now the engine/frame moves farther back and forth even though it feels a little smoother in the up and down plane.  It's all a compromise  :-\ but my engine went from unuseable to something I can live with.  I still can feel a bit of thumping in the ground but I think it's mostly from the combustion event.  I'm thinking of mounting the genset to a block of concrete for more mass with some rubber feet between the block and ground to dampen the "thump" when I decide where to mount it permanently.                                       Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:44:22 AM »
I have to say, Thank you! to you guys for responding. There is a part of me that really thinks that the manufactures aren't  going to refine their production line very soon, but if we can refine our understanding, we might have a chance to tame these critters.  ;)

xyzer, , very interesting, you have two engines, different manufactures, yet same results to balance. To clarify for others, a PS (Power Solutions) was built by Jkson, under the influence of Joel K. and George B. as I understand it. Which is what I ended up getting my hands on here in the U.S. Pacific NW.

Ronmar, yours, a PS 6/1 is very similar to xyzer's, you ended up with the overall center of you weight around 6 o'clock area, but a bit more weight.

M61hops, Dude, I applaud you for your stubbornness!  to see that engine through and tame her down, sounds like it took some grit.

Hoping to hear more from all you out there, I really think this could prove to be very useful.

Murph'
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »
murph

Finally found the time to respond!

1. 10/1 OMEGA at 1000 rpm

2. no, internal bolted to crank

3. 650 grams at 6 o'clock mid way up in hole on flywheel see pix below

4. Same as 3 above.

For more on what I did refer back to reply 65 at this post  http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.60

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »
murph

Finally found the time to respond!

1. 10/1 OMEGA at 1000 rpm

2. no, internal bolted to crank

3. 650 grams at 6 o'clock mid way up in hole on flywheel see pix below

4. Same as 3 above.

For more on what I did refer back to reply 65 at this post  http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.60

Billswan

Sir ,
 This Was Truly Amazing,What did You Use In That Hole BTW
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:43:20 PM »
Amarbir

If you follow the link in my post to reply 63 you will see the pvc pipe test plug disassembled. It is a plumbing unit for pressure testing pvc pipe.

The unit comes apart there is a plastic nut that holds 2 plastic cone shaped pieces together and to then wedge a 4th piece a heavy rubber gasket. It happens to have a hollow center into which I placed a stack of heavy steel washers. Now I just used this as a temporary test devise as extended use would probably cause the internal washers to cut into and break the rubber and plastic.

I have now went to using stick on lead wheel weights up under the rim of the flywheel. The weights in the flowing pix are for balancing heavy truck
wheels and weigh 2 ounces each looks like 4 on each rim 8 times 2 equal 16 ounces or 1 pound. ( use google to convert to metric)

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
In every case, it's opposite the piston and crankpin.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence