Puppeteer

Author Topic: Suggestions on which transfer switch to buy.  (Read 18397 times)

listerboy

• I love the smell of diesel in the morning....
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on which transfer switch to buy.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
See if one of these would work

www.interlockkit.com/genelecmain01.htm
Chris R

Wow 149.00 for two pieces of sheet metal & some nuts & bolts I guess PT Barnum was right.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »
This looks interesting;

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

This one looks really interesting, had not seen it before. have to check with the power company to see if they will allow its use. still  a very neat install.

Scott R.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
That interlock kit looks like a really slick installation for low volume usage.  I just remembered that my house has a 200 amp service disconnect breaker panel on the far outside wall adjacent to the meter, and it does not have a main breaker installed in the circut breaker panel.  Maybe a main breaker could be installed in the breaker panel and then I could use an interlock kit?

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »
Piperpilot,

The interlock kit idea might be able to be modified so that, assuming that the gen cannot handle all of the household loads, say water heater, A/C or what ever breakers would have to be turned off before the gen breaker could be switched on and the main breaker turned off. The $50k question is would the electrical inspector approve it if home made. The prices for approved kit are kinda crazy for fancy sheet metal, but they appear to be approved.

Chris

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 03:59:56 AM »
That interlock kit looks like a really slick installation for low volume usage.  I just remembered that my house has a 200 amp service disconnect breaker panel on the far outside wall adjacent to the meter, and it does not have a main breaker installed in the circut breaker panel.  Maybe a main breaker could be installed in the breaker panel and then I could use an interlock kit?

Not normally, when you install a breaker onto the main  buss of a panel as a main breaker you are required to install a breaker locking mechanisim to prevent the breaker from popping loose from the panel when the cover is removed. Otherwise you may have a breaker with two hot wires attached to it flopping around in the panel. When this locking device is installed it prevents the insertion of another breaker opposite from the main breaker ( to prevent over loading the buss lugs the main breaker is attached to) This would likely mean you would need a custom made inter lock. Since you allready have a disconnect outside, the 200 amp double throw switch would seem like the correct way to go in your case, replace your current switch & add a plug to the side or pipe it to your gen shed for the generator connections.

Scott R.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
Thanks Scott! There is one thing I definately like about this forum...people on this site are actually pretty darn smart, unlike most other forums on the web.  I appreciate everyones help and ideas.

I checked and my breaker panel and it has a dedicated socket for a main breaker if you use the panel without a disconnect.  So maybe I will be able to add a main breaker and use the interlock.  I will do more research on the part number breaker panel that I have.

Now the only question is to wire my ST-8 for 120v or 240v.  If I go with a transfer switch to replace my disconnect or a interlock kit I would have to wire the generator for 240v.  I have also found two sub panel type tranfer switches that are set up for 120v, 3600 watts max.  I am a little concearned about load inbalance and generator noise/damage from some of the past discussions that I have read.  It would be great to hear some first hand knowledge from some ST users that have thier generators wired to the house for 240v. 

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 02:12:43 AM »
I hear crickets chirping..... :D   Please, someone tell me if the harmonics during a load inbalane are really unbearable or are some guys just making too big a deal out of it.  Can't wait to finnaly get the Roid hooked to the house!

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »
Man I hate those crickets. If it wasn't for the fact that my well pump is 240v I would have it wired for 120v because the imbalance hum and vibration is pretty bad but YMMV.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
I think it really depends on your ST.  Some appear to be made better than others.  I have never noticed any significant noise difference in mine with load imbalance. The biggest hit I probably have is a small microwave that throws 1.4KW onto a single leg.  I notice this load on all the other items on this leg(UPS beeps), but have not noticed anything from the generator.  I try to avoid imbalance as a rule, but mine dosn't complain about it.  For that one single large load, I purchased a  240:120 transformer so that the microwave load can be spread across both 120 legs equally.  I got lucky in that when I hooked up to my main panel(interlocked backfeed breaker), the breakers I can run when on generator power equal a ptetty balanced load for the genset.  Balancing a panel is not particularly difficult, but you do need a clamp-on amp meter/probe and know your way around a panel... You can also do it by adding up loads, but you must be able to positively determine which leg they are on.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:50:26 PM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
NoSpark, ronmar, thanks for the replies.  Ronmar, were did you get your ST?  My ST is one on the ones that came from Tom at Georgia generator.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »
Not sure what is, or is not, acceptable per code in my area.  I guess I should find out.

What do the above Generac transfer switches have to do with a Listeroid?  computerized....automatic.....governor control outputs....... I dont get it?

Is there any way to look up local electrical codes on line?

The auto transfer switch makes it simpler to run up the generator if you are not at home.  Here is a switch for Luddites. http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?TWB1512DR

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 01:38:52 AM »
I've never had love for my ST head, but the groaning from an unbalanced load was significant.  I rewired the poles and it made a world of difference.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 02:08:14 AM »
NoSpark, ronmar, thanks for the replies.  Ronmar, were did you get your ST?  My ST is one on the ones that came from Tom at Georgia generator.

Mine came from PowerSolutions, an Utterpower associate out of Portland Or.  I hear that they spent a bit of time sourcing a supplier in china who could supply a decent unit.  I think at one point they even had the manufacturer incorporating their modifications(junction box in place of doghouse, solid state regulator). 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »
I have to wonder if the configuration of the stator windings in ronmar's st are what bschwartz rewired his to. I followed that stator rewiring thread, very intriguing. I could live with the groan I think, but the see-sawing voltage (the less loaded leg going very high) scares me and keeps me from using the generator as much as I had hoped. Some day maybe I'll rewire my stator too.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5