Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister HA2 - diesel in the sump  (Read 6118 times)

bonsaichris

• View Profile
Lister HA2 - diesel in the sump
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
Hi – new to the forum and need some help. I have been involved with cars and engines most of my life, but diesels, particularly the older larger slow revving engines are not so familiar to me. I own a narrowboat fitted with an old Gardner, so I am learning quickly. I have a friend who has just purchased an old working boat fitted with a Lister HA2 air cooled engine, I have not yet seen it but based on reports I am getting they have a problem. The engine runs well and seems to have full power, but there is serious concern about the engine oil level, this is increasing, almost certainly due to diesel getting into the sump. My opinion is that the most likely cause of this is the fuel lift pump, but I don’t know whether or not it is possible for there to be a leak from anywhere else. Your experience and advice would be much appreciated, a source and the likely cost of a pump would be useful if that is a likely solution.
Since the maintenance of this unit could be an ongoing interest of mine, info on parts and manuals would be much appreciated.
I offer my thanks in advance for any help your members may be able to offer.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Lister HA2 - diesel in the sump
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
Hello Bonsaichris,
                      Your Gardner sounds like the one thing better than a Lister in a narrowboat!  Ref the HA2, not personally familiar with the model, but if it is similar to other aircooled Listers, there are a few reasons why fuel ends up in the sump, as I have discovered. Assume the injection pumps are behind a sideplate in a compartment connected to the crankcase. You may be able to remove rocker covers and visually check while running that you don't have obvious leakage from injector lines or leak off pipes. More difficult to run the motor with the sidecover off to check pump connections, but worth a try while cold, and at low revs. this may show a leak. The fuel supply line has banjo connections to the pumps, with bonded or "Dowty" washers either side of them. Check or replace these first, and if that is not the cure, wipe the top of the pump body dry and look for leakage where the delivery valve holder screws into it. Using 2 OE spanners, loosen the pipe nut, carefully try tightening the valve body in the pump, (not too tight) then re tighten the pipe nut. Also helps to slightly loosen the pipe nut on the injector end, then tighten each a little at a time to ensure both ends align evenly. If there is still a leak under the valve holder, there is a fibre seal ring that succumbs to old age and over-tightening. The pumps need removal to replace this, best done by a fuel shop, as the seal is not sold as a separate spare.  Be sure to retain the correct timimg shims under each pump. Hope some of this helps, and applies to your HA2, and is not too confusing.   (afterthought,)  amateur wrench jockeys can ruin the cone ends of pipes by misaligning and overtightening, so look at them too.    Regards,   Combustor.

Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

bonsaichris

• View Profile
Re: Lister HA2 - diesel in the sump
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »
Thanks for that info, as I said at the moment I havent seen the engine. That being the case I am not sure whether or not these details apply. I will check as soon as possible.
Thanks again for your speedy response