Author Topic: Registration problems  (Read 28005 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: Registration problems
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
We are still getting a ton of new BOT registrations, and unfortunately some real people are not able to register

So some hints to get an account:

Dont come up with some cryptic user name or use a cryptic email supplier - I think they are spam
Dont use gmail, they are still the number once source of SPAM

If you are having issues contact me - my email is listed here and I will walk you through and make sure you get in

I am looking at other ways to help automate and screen out bots from real people but right now its mannual and I get about 50 new registrations a day... one or two of which are real

Cheers

Andrew

Arrggggg  I cleanned up the registrations at 2200 hrs last night, and as of this morning thee are 88 new ones  $#%$#%$#^#$ bots
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 12:57:06 AM »
OK on Fri, of this week I will delete all new registrations... if you want in, and your one of the 300, please fwd to me your automated message from the server so I can find and approve you... just not wasting my time doing it manually, too easy for spammers to get in

Cheers

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 03:05:37 AM »
Ok... in 24 hours the 491 people who have registered will be considered SPAM and will be deleted  If you have registered in the past 7 days and you have not forwarded to me your Server Generated message saying your registration is under review, dont be surprised when your deleted as the warning has been up and posted all week.

Cheers

Andrew

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
in 10 hours the 522 will be deleted... dont say you had no warning... this is the third post on the subject

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
I will be opening up registration for the next 5 days

You have until 5 pm EST on 20th of Dec 2010 to register, and send to me at my posted email addy, your AUTOMATICALLY generated welcome message so I can MANUALLY approve you.  You dont send me the letter, I have know idea who or what you are.  Thank your local SPAMMERS for me having to take these steps

BTW  Hope everyone is safe and warm in the embrase of the hydro produced by your generator this Christmas Season... 2 m of snow in London Ontario, what was that about global warming again??

thefinis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
Thanks to Andrew and to Drdeath for his help.  Sorry but after trying to register and not getting a response I was only reading a few of the threads that appealed to me.  As you can see things have worked out and just in time for the holidays too. I found this forum while looking for a lister CS and was feeling left out or maybe muzzled would be a better description.

Have no ideas on how to keep out the bots. Lately have been worried about posting much info anywhere due to hackers breaking into servers and stealing ids and passwords.

Thanks again for opening up the registration and helping me to get in especially now that I have read this thread.

Finis

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 02:51:59 AM »
Welcome Finis. I can't imagine the chore Andrew has trying to keep this site as safe as he does. It's to bad their has to be losers out there trying to make it hard for the good people. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Admins, try this search from SMF for possible spam assistance:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=spam
Also:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

(ps. you might need to upgrade forum software to 1.1x for these)

Hope this helps -- I run SMF, too.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
Out of 350 registrations, and being open for only 5 days, I had only 2 real people.  Welcome.  I have closed registration

I will open it up again for another 5 days in Jan.

In the mean time you can contact me, and I can manually register you

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »
Andrew it must be very frustrating. THUMBS UP for doing it. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS EVE

Follow the Process, you register, send me the automated letter welcoming you and I will manually register you

Interesting three real people want to join :D

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
oh yeah... don't register with a gmail account... they have the most spammers and are automatically banned

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »
Registration is closed for the year
See you in 2011

MERRY CHRISTMAS

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:23 AM »
Registration is open till the weekend.  If you want to post, register, send to my email posting in this thread the email the automatic server sends you and I will find you in the middle of the mess and approve you.

I will close the registration again on Sunday night at 1800 hrs EST
cheers

Andrew

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
Seems the 'bots have found a reliable way around the capta "security" with registrations. one of the other boards I am a member of mentioned they have new registrations answer a simple question such as "what colour is a blue car" and then manually approve the registration after the new user provides a brief description of the vehicle they own...