Author Topic: Registration problems  (Read 28007 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Registration problems
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »
We are still getting a ton of new BOT registrations, and unfortunately some real people are not able to register

So some hints to get an account:

Dont come up with some cryptic user name or use a cryptic email supplier - I think they are spam
Dont use gmail, they are still the number once source of SPAM

If you are having issues contact me - my email is listed here and I will walk you through and make sure you get in

I am looking at other ways to help automate and screen out bots from real people but right now its mannual and I get about 50 new registrations a day... one or two of which are real

Cheers

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

Re: Registration problems
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
I hear your pain Andrew.  Spammers are the fleas of the internet and cause a great deal of damage and annoyance to everyone.  Unfortunately there is a great deal of money to be made by spammers and as you well know, money attracts the crooksl just as carrion attracts flies.  Just look at the news out of Ottawa these days eh?
Stan

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Have to agree there Stan... what news would that be Stan?  That an NDP MP who just qualified for her pension will be retiring and running to be mayor of Winnipeg?  Or that Jafar is being hung out to dry by the conservatives and is too stupid to realize it?
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
All of the above and more to come I fear.  We keep electing people of all stripes who shouldn't be in charge of brushing their own teeth, let alone running our country.

I fear more and more for my grandkids future with all the graft and corruption, not to mention sheer stupidity happening here.

Maybe we should only elect people who truly don't want to be in power, and then maybe they will grudgingly do a better job than those who are gleefully ripping us all off.

I don't agree with the old saying "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".  Instead I believe it should be put more simply,  "power attracts the corruptable".
Stan

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »
In the past 4 days I have averaged 45 new membership requests a day...I would say over 99% from bots

This is nuts.  Until we can add some additional features to the site to weed out the bots I am going to just delete everything.

If you want to register contact my email at trapperjohn1441 at hotmail.com and I will manually register you... it will be quicker and easier for both of us this way.  Please tell your friends if they want to register, to contact me first so I can manually approve and register the new account.

Sorry for this, but its just becoming too much administrative burden on me, I have a life

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »
Two Parter:

1.)  How can I make money as a spammer?

B.)  What about those word pictures that craigslist and the like use?

3.)  Can I use my spammer fortune to reclaim my Canadian citizenship and run for Grand Muck-i-Muck.

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
I would love to use the word pictures, not offered in this version.

I have turned off registration. I was away for three days, and I have 444 new registrations to deal with

If your a new member and want to join, your welcome, contact me
Give me the following
1. Your username
2.  email you want to use (I have enabled Gmail since I am doing this manually)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
i have been getting emails of people that want to join and are deleted. if you want me to activate you manually send an email directly to me at rocket18k@yahoo.com . please dont email me to say you were deleted and then have me go in and not find you waiting for registration. reregister then email me and i can help then. if t19 wants to provide his email he can do the same.

tnx, troy

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
My email is there for everyone to see, I have manually helped 4 or 5

andrew dot davies61 at rogers dot com

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »
OK more clarification on registration.

We are getting swamped with SPAMMERS, hell they are so despirate they have hacked one of our posters accounts

So for all to know here is the sequence of events for NEW users

1.Register - system send you an email thanking you and saying that the ADMIN will shortly approve your registration
2.  Send me an email saying you have registered, giving me your username and email you used to register
3.  I will search the 200- 1300 new registrations and manually approve you
4.  That will generate a second email that says you are good to go

Timelines - items 1-2 are under your control
Items 3-4 are mine, and normally within 1 x 24 hr period will be done, unless I am on the road, so it may take two days

Things you can do.... make sure my email to you from the server is not flagged as junkmail... it happens

Sorry once again for the pain, but I am no longer interested in spending the time needed to weed out the spam.  I would like to add some additional sign in software to the system, so that human intervention is not needed, but it does not appear to be a priority at this time.

Cheers

Andrew

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Andrew you are doing a great job. I personally want to sat THANK YOU. I wish there was some way other forum members could help. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »
Andrew    , yes i would like to thank you also for your help a few months back when my account was hacked,, awesome job, hopefully the spammers wont get you down.

Thank You Andrew
 Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
Andrew I don't suppose you hear thanks often enough. " THANKS" I hope our forum can continue to grow and my goal for this auction is to get people motivated to check in and see what is going on.  I would like to know if it would be possible to have an auction area for the forum. If it would be to hard to set up then don't worry. If this goes well we could see it happen again and again. I would think others might like the idea and post under there for items they might want to sell. Just a thought DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »
OK Everyone

Please over the next few days contact everyone who you know that wants to register or tried, what every... and have them contact me.  At the End of this week, I will be purging the 1900 odd registrations and cleaning everything up ... that should last a few days.

Case in point I had someone contact me today asking why the registration from Sept had not been approved... he was approved 10 minutes after i got the message

Once again, for those that have missed it... This is the process

1.Your register   YOU DO THAT
2.The Software Sends you an automated response saying your username, Password, and that your application will be reviewed by Moderator - AUTOMATIC SOFTWARE Generated
3.  Fwd that email to me at andrew dot davies 61 @ rogers dot com - YOU DO THAT
4  I will find your registration in the chaft and I will Manually approve it - I DO THAT

Please, stop writing me to say that I received your registration and sent you a verification and you are now awaiting approval.... thats an automatic response generated while I am at work, or sleeping, or running my Lister, or out on my bike, or bonking my wife.. ok that last part does not happen , Im happily married, or so I am told LOL

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:42:33 AM by t19 »

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
Ok the backlog has been cleared.