Author Topic: Lister SL1 and SL2 alternator linkage  (Read 3948 times)

gorllwyn

• View Profile
Lister SL1 and SL2 alternator linkage
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
Hi,
The part with the three bolts that bolt the alternator to the flywheel has broken on my Lister SL2. Does anyone know if one from a SL1 or LD1 is the same? It looks similar but I dint want to take it off if it is not the same as its a bit of a job to get the alternator off. The alternators are not the same size. Also any idea as to why mine has broken?
Thanks
Gwyn

Ive been looking at my old Lister LD 1 genny (spares) and this part does look the same and thinking about it the crank on a SL1 must be the same dia as a SL 2, correct me if I'm wrong. So as long as the crank on the LD is the same as SL then it will work. Does anyone have any tips for splitting the alternator from the engine as Ive got two to do now?
Gwyn

I have split the alternator from the engine on both LD 1 and SL2 and the part does look the same. It bolts to a fibre type disc with 6 holes for bolting both together, 3 to engine and 3 to the alternator. It is obvious that mine has broken due to the bolts that connect the alternator coming loose and wearing both the bolts, the metal liners holes in the fibre disc and the metal coupling which has sheared through. I would post some pics but my uploading is very poor due to dongle connection. I have been running Lister's for 15 years and this is the first time I have seen this. So a word of warning, check your bolts even the ones on the alternator linkage on a regular basis! SOM's are brilliant but they due tend to get forgotten when working well.
I have yet to get the link off, hopefully tomorrow.
Gwyn
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:03:27 PM by gorllwyn »

gorllwyn

• View Profile
Re: Lister SL1 and SL2 alternator linkage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
Now that I have borrowed a puller to remove the broken part I have finished the job and the SL2 is up and running. This was the first time I had to do this and I am sure it could be done a lot quicker next time. I have reused the fibre type disc from the SL2 which was worn but changed the position so the engine mounting bolts go through the holes that are worn. As these bolts are located into the flywheel they cant move like the alternator bolts could so I hope this will not affect the running or wear too quickly.
I was lucky I had a spare part from the LD1 but incase of future problems does anyone know if these type of parts are available in the UK.
Cheers
Gwyn