Author Topic: America drives for biofuel to beat its addiction to oil - Times article  (Read 6351 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff

Henry Ford’s dream of ethanol as the top car fuel could come true — 100 years late, writes Dominic Rushe from New York

IN 1908 when Henry T Ford launched the Model T Ford, the grandfather of the modern motor industry believed ethanol — not petrol — would power the first generation of mass-produced vehicles.

Ethanol, an alcohol distilled from plants, had powered his first car, the Quadricycle. Ethanol, said Ford, was “the fuel of the future”. It would take a century for his vision to come true.

Ethanol has been the almost-ran of the motor industry pretty much since its foundation — beaten into second place by a more efficient and better- organised oil industry. Now, as petrol prices hit record highs in America, ethanol is back in the driving seat.

Next month Ford’s great-grandson, Bill Ford, and the leaders of the other American car giants — General Motors and Chrysler — will meet President George Bush to discuss how they can get more of America’s cars running on ethanol.

Petrol has hit $3 a gallon in America, painfully high for a country that consumes about 20.5m barrels of oil a day.

Back in February the president said America had to end its “addiction” to foreign oil. The price rise has contributed to his falling popularity.

The car companies, too, could do with a boost. Toyota is poised to become the world’s largest car company and two of Detroit’s big three have teetered on the edge of going bust in recent years.

Executives at the firms are not talking about the meeting. But last week Ford said he wanted to lobby the government to finance a national delivery system for ethanol.

Ethanol is also getting a serious boost in Europe. Aiming to reduce Europe’s reliance on fossil fuels, the EU wants biofuels to make up 5.75% of all fuel used in transport by 2010.

Bruce Tofield is a biofuels expert at the University of East Anglia and a member of CRed, an organisation looking to reduce carbon emissions.

He said the last time America looked seriously at ethanol was after the oil-price hikes of the 1970s when the global energy crisis made ethanol cheaper than petrol. Ethanol plants were subsidised by the American government and gasohol — a blend of petrol and ethanol — was widely available. But in the 1980s oil prices fell again as new sources were discovered in Alaska and in the North Sea.

“It’s different this time,” said Tofield. “The price is not going to fall as sharply as it did back then because we don’t appear to have any new sources of oil, and at the same time China and India are becoming huge consumers.”

China recently overtook Japan to become the world’s second-biggest consumer of oil and it has been predicted that the country will probably have more cars than America by 2030.

The three American car giants are already producing flexible-fuel vehicles — cars that can run on petrol or a mixture of petrol and ethanol. Last week Daimler Chrysler, parent company of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge, said it intended to have a quarter of its cars ethanol-ready by 2008.

The big three have more than 4.5m ethanol-ready cars on the road now but Ford said last week that many drivers were unaware that they could be using the cheaper biofuel. It is also much harder to find than regular petrol. America has only 600 stations selling ethanol-based fuel, against about 180,000 petrol stations.

One of the ironies of the current situation is that the price of ethanol is one of the factors contributing to America’s pain at the pumps. Last summer Congress mandated a near doubling in the use of ethanol in petrol by 2012, to 7.5 billion gallons a year from today’s 4 billion. Ethanol producers are scrambling to meet demand and, as a result, the price has shot up to more than $2.80 a gallon from a low of $1.35 last summer.

Much of the American support for ethanol comes from the powerful farming lobby. Ethanol receives a hefty subsidy of 51 cents a gallon. Critics say it is inefficiently produced. Some have gone as far as to suggest that ethanol production can actually be more expensive — and harmful to the environment — than oil.

David Pimentel at Cornell and Tad Patzek of the University of California at Berkeley have shown that making ethanol from corn grain can consume 29% more fossil energy than the oil it replaces.

Tofield said that ethanol can be produced to provide cheap fuel and be less harmful to the environment. Improvements in technology and recycling could easily make it cost efficient in America, a country that has the land and the weather to produce enough of its own fuel from corn or certain grasses.

Brazil, the world leader in ethanol production, runs 50% of its cars on ethanol. Most of its ethanol is made from sugar cane, an ideal plant for conversion but one that does not grow well in much of America, or at all in Britain. If we converted all of the rape seed grown in Britain to ethanol, Tofield calculates it would cover 5% of the petrol we now use. All the corn would be equal to 10%.

British Sugar is building an ethanol plant in Norfolk that will convert sugar beet to fuel. But it will take 15 or more such plants for Britain to comply with the EU’s ethanol directive.

Ninety-eight years on from the Model T Ford, there are still problems with ethanol. But as oil supplies dwindle it may have finally become the fuel of the future.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

hotater

• View Profile
Americans use products called "gas system anti-freezes, gas dry, de-icer, etc".   These products all seem to have ethanol as a major component.  Presumably because water and alchol will mix and alchol and gasoline will mix so the three can live together when just gas and water won't.

So, what keeps the water from ethanol fuels??  How much is too much?  How do we know?
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Ironworks

• View Profile
I thought alcohol was iso-ascorbic?

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
I sure as hell don't ever want to drive anything powered by alcohol!! If your car makes 200 hp now and gets 25 mpg, on alcohol it will make 132 hp and get 16.5 mpg. Alcohol only contains about 2/3 the energy of gasoline and I think that sucks. I'm all for biodiesel though.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
Ah, here it is.  I was looking for this article earlier.  http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0323/p01s01-sten.html  Seems they are planning to make a number of ethanol plants, er, processing plants, in the midwest to be powered by coal.  Is something wrong with this picture, or is it just me?

Halfnuts

Ironworks

• View Profile
We have an Co-op going up about 13 miles from here.  Farmer owned.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Hey Dirtbikepilot, Alcohol is used in many things to boost HP. The octane is higher than gasoline (a big plus) and it contains oxygen (also a big plus). Certainly it contains less energy than gasoline by standard measures, such as by the gallon or by the pound. However, one can simply use more alcohol to get the mixture right. When this is done, the net effect is more HP.

JR dragsters are the most simple example I can think of. On gasoline with a stock Briggs they make 5HP. Using alcohol (methanol) with no other changes other than jetting reportedly brings the HP up to around 7 or 8. Adding a big alcohol compatable Mikuni carb, advancing the timing (necessary with high octane) using a trick high compression piston and hot cam bring the HP way into the double digits. Going even further, on that same fuel with more serious mods (racing block, crank, rod, flywheel, head etc) has achieved mid 50's in the HP dept. AND, that is on straight alcohol.

Same with dirt bikes. Often times the fast ones are running alcohol. 2 stroke engines will make 30% more power on alcohol.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
Yes, you are right about the increased power CAPABILITIES of alcohol, but I was just thinking of putting it in an engine designed for gasoline and that's gonna suck. I already dislike gasoline engines. lol  ::)

The fact remains though that you will still only get about 2/3 as far on a gallon of alcohol as you will get on a gallon of gasoline. I think that you might get it up to 3/4 as far by upping the compression a ton and advancing the ignition a lot, but that's just speculation. I sure hope someone finds a way to get at least the same mileage with alcohol because the cost to drive an alcohol powered vehicle will be astronomical otherwise.

[rant] I *REALLY* think biodiesel is a MUCH better alternative than alcohol based on what I'm learning. I had no idea that ethanol cost so much (energy-wise) to make. Just how much does it take? Are we burning 100 megajoules worth of coal to make 10 MJ worth of ethanol? WTF?? Who the hell thinks this is a good way to go? Remember that EROEI idea?  ??? That got me all mad when I read that it takes so much energy just to make ethanol out of corn so now I'm just venting. I thought the idea was to get energy OUT of corn. Oh... damn. I've got to stop now because the more I type and think about this the more upset I'm getting at this insane notion.  :o [/rant]

Biodiesel seems to be a much better alternative in every way that I can see.  :)
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

solarguy

• View Profile
The eroei for corn based ethanol back in the late 70's when I first got interested was almost exactly 1:1.  So yeah, one unit of ethanol energy from one unit of petro or some other fossil fuel.  When I learned that, even at 18 year old, I realized that ethanol would not do anything to reduce the imported oil problem.  It would just make a lot of corn farmers rich.  Fast forward 25 years.

Using state of the art efficient production facilities using complex catalytic and enzymatic processes and state of the art distillation techniques, they have improved eroei to a whopping, are you ready....

1.3:1

So we're ahead 30% if you believe their math, which is a lot better than a zero sum game at unity. They do count some btu value to the spent mash that gets fed to the cows to get than number.  I think they do the same thing with the soybean or canola meal after pressing the oil for biodiesel.

By comparison, eroei for biodiesel from virgin soy bean oi is just over or under 3:1 depending on who you talk to.

eroei for biodiesel from wvo (waste veggie oil) is somewhere between 5:1 and 7:1 depending on 27 things.

So yeah, biodiesel stomps ethanol into the ground with both hands tied behind back.

Problem is, not enough for a tenth of everybody.

Maybe oil from algae, there is some very interesting work going on in that arena.

Finest regards,

troy

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
I'm suspisious that ethanol retailers would sell as much water as they could get to blend in. That is a matter of temperature, so when you drive up the pass to cold weather, you could get some water to precipitate out and freeze in the bottom of your tank, or at least form a water slug and kill the engine. Definitly a poor idea for your airplane!
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

BruceM

• View Profile
Two things I heard from Mark Cherry, inventor, at Smartplugs.com 6 months ago.  He's demonstrated a diesel engine vehicle running on 60% alcohol (much cheaper to make), using a higher volume IP and his smart plug (platinum catalyst precombustion chamber in leu of a glow plug).  This was tested in a project at Idaho state U.

The same engine can produce 50% more power with almost no NO2 emissions because of all the water; exhaust temps are so low that fuel volumes can be increased dramatically.

The other recent development:  A new European patent for a process to convert any plant starch into sugar, with very high yield.  My memory is poor but I think it involved 800psi, and high temperature.

These could change the future of alcohol as a fuel.  (Though like some here I wonder why the bother when diesel engines could be optimised for plant oils.)  It's a pitty we aren't funding the heck out of pilot plants and processes and reseach in fuels technology.  That would do a lot for our national security, too. Corporations have to watch the quarterly profits too closely to deal with long term R&D.  I say give it to DARPA. 

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
Two things I heard from Mark Cherry, inventor, at Smartplugs.com 6 months ago.  He's demonstrated a diesel engine vehicle running on 60% alcohol (much cheaper to make), using a higher volume IP and his smart plug (platinum catalyst precombustion chamber in leu of a glow plug).  This was tested in a project at Idaho state U.

The same engine can produce 50% more power with almost no NO2 emissions because of all the water; exhaust temps are so low that fuel volumes can be increased dramatically.

The other recent development:  A new European patent for a process to convert any plant starch into sugar, with very high yield.  My memory is poor but I think it involved 800psi, and high temperature.

These could change the future of alcohol as a fuel.  (Though like some here I wonder why the bother when diesel engines could be optimised for plant oils.) 

Why not do both?  When I press oilseed, there's about 70 percent of the original weight left over.  It's mainly starches and proteins.  Why not convert those starches to sugar, ferment them, distill out the ethanol?  Now you have the remaining distiller's solids for livestock feed.  Let's make some meat, milk, eggs, leather, fiber. 

Oh, and any thoughts on what a guy could do with the wastes from those livestock, after they've digested your distiller's solids?
I can think of one thing  -- biogas from anaerobic digestion.  There's a byproduct from the biogas digester, too.  Fertile liquid, ready to go back onto the field and rejoin the cycle.

Hmm -- oil, ethanol, methane, food, and fertilizer from sequential processing of one raw product.  Sure makes sense to me, hypothetically at least. 

Russell Groves
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.