Author Topic: Finally joined the club  (Read 14975 times)

Ratman

• View Profile
Finally joined the club
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
Well! I'm a member of The 650 RPM Club ( at last)  8) 8)  I've bought this one    http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5169.0

I collected it today with the help of a good mate (Needenginerunnin) and it's sat on my trailer down my yard. ;D  Big thanks for your help today mate.

I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Stan

Re: Finally joined the club
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
Congratulations....Now it's time to get down and dirty and get into that sump with sleeves rolled up (and a hazmat suit).  ;D

What are you going to name her?  ::)
Stan

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
Congratulations....Now it's time to get down and dirty and get into that sump with sleeves rolled up (and a hazmat suit).  ;D

What are you going to name her?  ::)
Stan

Hello Stan.
I've already started stripping it with the help of my mate (Needenginerunnin) and to be honest, when I lifted the valve cover off I nearly gave up, it was so rusty in there even the valve springs had corroded away, the head nuts were about half the size they should be, the injector body is in a right mess and may have to be replaced, both valves are seized in the guides. We managed to get all the head nuts of with Stilsons and Molegrips, the head came off quite easily.
We managed to get the injector out but had to hacksaw through the bolts, the remaining studs are yet to be removed. I've left the valves and guides soaking in PlusGas and will try in about a week or so to remove them.
The piston is seized in the bore but it all looks good, again I've left it to soak in PlusGas and will try to free it in a week or so.
Had a look in the crankcase and it looks good in there.
The engine is a he and I'm calling him Norman in memory of my dear old Dad.
I'll keep you all posted with the progress.

Rob

Stevie D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
Good luck with the new project - I've just started to dismantle one in a similar state ;D

Steve

Stan

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »
Rob and Steve.....As you may have heard, my main interest in this "hobby" is saving these grand old girls from the scrap man.  Waaaaay too many of them have already shared that most ignominious state.

These engines illustrate one of the worst attributes of these newer generations of people all around the world that think they "win" by buying cheap junk at a "bargain" price and then find out they have to turn around in a couple of years and throw the junk away and buy some new junk.

These engines were made to last literally a lifetime if properly maintained and repaired.  Try that with a cheap modern high speed generator system.  A buddy of mine has gone through 3 of them in 5 years just as backup power for his apiary business.  If he'd bought a quality engine and gen unit for twice the price of one of the cheap units, he would be way ahead of the game in price, not to mention peace of mind.

The other attribute we have taught a whole new generation is that they can have anything they want, right now, even if they can't afford to pay for it.  Millions of people are paying off one credit card with another, and no matter how you cut it, that adds up to a personal Ponzi scheme.  No economy can survive like that for long.

Sorry about the rant, congratulations again on saving two more of these grand old girls from a fate worse than death.  You are making not only a better power unit, but a better world.
Stan

needenginerunnin

• interested in state of the ARK technology.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
I'LL second that stan, couldn't agree more.
i wouldnt part with mine for the world, wouldnt say no to another one mine looks lonely by its self!
1949 6/1 electric smooth flywheels & ST 7.5, som base x3, cast indoor silencer X2.
1950's 6/1 som x2, spoked 6/1, LD1 som.
listerpetter LV2, PH1,LD1,SR1, PAZ1, AA1, LT1, AC1. 3.5hp yan clone.
politician's are like nappies, they need changing for the same reason.
take the pi$$ , full of sh#t.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »
Can't argue with that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Stan

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
Here’s an update for you all.
Today I managed to get the valve caps and collets off, freed the rack on the pump and removed the pump for testing, freed the adjuster bolt on the injector, but I still recon the injector will be scrap when I take it for testing with the pump. Removed the inlet and exhaust manifolds.
My engine WILL live again no matter what. I’m not sure how you explain it but it’s amazing the feeling you develop for a piece of cast iron. :-*
I’ll be back with more updates as they happen fellow 650’ers.

Rob

needenginerunnin

• interested in state of the ARK technology.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
evening all

and hello steve, i see your new to the forum.
how are you getting on with the rebuild of your engine?
1949 6/1 electric smooth flywheels & ST 7.5, som base x3, cast indoor silencer X2.
1950's 6/1 som x2, spoked 6/1, LD1 som.
listerpetter LV2, PH1,LD1,SR1, PAZ1, AA1, LT1, AC1. 3.5hp yan clone.
politician's are like nappies, they need changing for the same reason.
take the pi$$ , full of sh#t.

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:28 PM »
evening all

and hello steve, i see your new to the forum.
how are you getting on with the rebuild of your engine?

Ooopppss! :-[ sorry stevie D, forgot to say welcome.......................Welcome stevie D

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
I have had a major set back today, it took me about an hour to get the big end cap off, it was made all the more difficult as the crank is about halfway on the up stroke and damn near impossible to get to the rear most nut.
I did manage to get the cap off but was devastated at the amount of corrosion on the big end journal, and to add insult to injury, the main bearings are also seized.
The valve timing cogs and the underside of the piston are also extensively corroded.
Not sure where I’m going from here, bit of a bugger really. :( :(
Rob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »
I also hear water is a good solvent for rust (time limited appication)

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41:41 PM »
Ratman, maybe someone on here can post the Gas Engine Magazine article of the big Stickney hit and miss engine that spent a few decades under a river. It was on a riverbank and fell in one day and someone had the foresight to tie a steel cable to it and lots of years later they dug it out. It was quite a mess....beyond anything most seasoned engine restorers would attempt to resurect.You know how this story is going to end. The engine runs and is shown at shows in the U.S.

Time is on your side. You have the castings (thats the biggy) So pour a drink, pull a chair up to Norman in the shop and just enjoy having it for a little while, theres no race.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
I also hear water is a good solvent for rust (time limited appication)

Coca Cola!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 01:33:50 AM »
automatic transmission fluid mixed 50/50 with acetone.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid