Author Topic: Retrofitting a radiator – part one.  (Read 8886 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Retrofitting a radiator – part one.
« on: April 29, 2006, 07:37:39 PM »

Well the first thing you need of course is the radiator itself, as usual (for me) I sourced one on e-bay, a brand new old stock job with a cut out in the middle for a PTO, ten UK pounds.

When it comes to siting it, Lister used to put them on the injection pump side, that’s why the head has 4 off 3/8” UNC holes and a flat (or you could mount a fuel tank there), I looked at this myself, but it would mean re-locating the diesel fuel filter, and once fitted you are in effect concealing the injection equipment side of the engine, so, I chose to locate the radiator on the other side of the engine, which is bare of everything.

The Lister barrel has two 3/8” UNC holes, two on the pushrod side, two on the de-compressor side, located at the top of the casting. Lister used these for the lower brackets for their radiator mounts. Lister used the 4 bolts mentioned above on the side of the head to carry the upper bearing / shaft and fan, driven by belt from the flywheel.

I have chosen a larger than Lister radiator, by a factor of about 2x, and will fit an electric fan and run it from the Start-o-matic batteries, which are always charged when the set is running, with it controlled by a thermal switch, same as on a vehicle.

Primary concern was that no modifications should be made to the engine, so if required it could be out back to factory spec with no more than a spanner, and of course it has to be workmanlike, not denying access to anything else, and as quick and simple to strip and rebuilt as everything else on the Lister.

As you can see from the pictures, I used two pieces of 2” x ¼” flat bar, each 12” long for the horizontal straps across the 3/8” UNC bolts in the upper part of the barrel, attached to that are two vertical pieces of 1¼” x ¼” flat bar, drilled for the four 10mm bolts for the radiator, and one (so far) diagonal piece welded to the top of one of the 1¼” uprights and drilled the other end to use the upper stud on the water manifold on the head, this diagonal piece (no picture yet) stops any vibration, triangulation makes for rigidity. This is a work-in-progress so some more triangulation to come, but what is there has had a test start of the engine and is as solid as a rock.

Four 10mm bolts will remove the radiator, and four 3/8” UNC bolts (so far) will remove the radiator bracket, so a five minute job.

The radiator itself has a bleed valve at the bottom outside edge about 2/3rds of the way to the crankcase breather side of the engine, so all it needs now is the expansion tank mounting and the hoses purchasing and connecting up. As you can see from the picture, the hose layout is good for thermal siphon, and the high cross sectional area of the diesel truck radiator will also help this along. Being thermal siphon, no thermostat is required, flow is controlled by temperature.

The fuel tank will stay, I’ve got an original full size one, but for now the 2 gallon job will do as a “day tank” so I will mount that on the fuel filter side on a bracket off those four 3/8” UNC bolt holes on the head. Just have to make the brackets and alter the plumbing a little.

If you do this yourself, it is really important that everything is both STIFF enough, and STRONG enough, these engines vibrate, and vibration if it is allowed to cause any flexing will kill things like welds etc in fairly short order. The frame is see is easily strong enough for me to stand on, and when the triangulation is finished it will be absolutely rigid, able to carry orders of magnitude more weight than it will.

The bolts you can see are at present, because this is all test fit, standard 1½” long, either 10mm or 3/8” UNC as appropriate, with back nuts for the present, rather than being cut to the appropriate length, NEVER EVER bottom out bolts, you WILL crack the castings. And of course spring washers, not just flat ones of none.

The full set of today’s pictures are at the usual place, in full 1600 x 1200 resolution, in Lister gallery 04. Hopefully over the next week or so I will get the time to finish this mod off, then paint the brackets properly, after cleaning them up and rounding edges etc. The Radiator shroud will get a coat of paint too, sometime I have to strip and clean and repaint the entire Lister, and that means choosing a colour too, but the radiator core will of course stay matt black, the most efficient colour to dissipate heat.

I did consider inclining the radiator so thermal convection of the air would take place through the core, but I reckon in real life even the slightest breeze will be sufficient that the electric fans will not be needed. I’m considering two 12 VDC fans from a twin fan setup, and wiring them in series because the DC side of the Start-o-matic is 24 VDC. At the end of the day the radiator is (pretty much) vertical and in-line with the block because I thought it looked fine like that.

Total cost so far, one new old stock radiator, UK £10, some flat bar, UK £5 (only part of it used), some MiG wire off the reel, some MiG gas, a wee bit of primer, eight 3/8” UNC nuts bolts and washers and 2 dozen 10mm nuts bolts and washers UK£7, and some time, so maybe UK£30 – 35 all in when it’s done, and then I can run proper coolant with rust inhibitor and anti-freeze, no more danger ever again of frost damage to the block, no more shit clogging up the water passages, and a nice visual cue by way of the semi-clear header cum expansion tank as / when / if the coolant needs topping up.

Yes the welding is a bit "birdshit", but I had problems with the gas valve, and when I cleaned that the wind got up, but at the end of the day we got a good bond and that's all that counts at this test fit stage. I should also point out that although things look a bit on the piss, they aren't, it's the camera angles etc.

More to follow as and when.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

sb118

• Biofuel Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Retrofitting a radiator – part one.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:31:38 PM »
Nice project, makes the unit a lot more compact.
First love - 1975 Lister SR1, gone to a better place (running a saw bench actually ;))

True love - unknown vintage CS6/1 with SOM flywheels

linkie to the project so far --- http://jestersltd.com/pics/index.php

Lister owners do it at 650 strokes a minute ;)

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 11:06:21 PM »
I must be really dense today - where do I find these pics?  I've looked in the photo gallery to no avail.  Link please?!

Thanks,

Chris

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 11:20:43 PM »
THANKS!!!!

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 01:06:43 AM »
GF,
In light of the recent discussion on head gasket weeping what are you going to use for a radiator cap? I would assume a low-pressure cap would be in order…but then you may have another perspective… How about coolant recovery and make up coolant?
I’d be so tempted to try putting the crankshaft trough the hole in the radiator and let the flywheel move air though it…too bad Mother Nature, gravity and thermosiphoning would not agree…

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 01:48:45 AM »
GF,
In light of the recent discussion on head gasket weeping what are you going to use for a radiator cap? I would assume a low-pressure cap would be in order…but then you may have another perspective… How about coolant recovery and make up coolant?

two hoses direct between engine and rad, separate hose from rad to header / expansion tank (truck rads are more versatile that car ones, they have more connections, even if they are blanked off, they are there) and just a ordinary vented cap to the header / expansion tank. Zero pressurisation inside the tak, same as an open cooling tank.

coolant losses will be minimal through a vent, esp if you keep the rad to header / expansion tank small bore, that way the amount of hot coolant that can rise is never enough to heat the coolant in the header / expansion tank.

of course if you ever boil the bitch with this setup hoses will pop off, hence the double sized rad to start with, and electric fans thermostatically controlled to back it up.

I’d be so tempted to try putting the crankshaft trough the hole in the radiator and let the flywheel move air though it…too bad Mother Nature, gravity and thermosiphoning would not agree…
Joe

Yeah, I really thought long and hard about doing that.

1/ thermosiphon could still have been made to work, but you'd need an upper and lower tank as well as what I have now, and under ultimate loads the barrel would no longer be actually __IN__ the lowest and therefore coolest part of the system.

2/ would have made it stick out a lot more and widen the motor a lot more

3/ would have meant not taking advantage of the lister existing mounting points

4/ it would preclude using that side of the crank for any other ancilliaries such as hydraulic pump or air compressor at a later date.

5/ there is another neat use for that cutout, automotive heater core, will allow me to cool a second liquid circuit in the same space, or be a nice place to install a flowmeter and analogue temp gauge etc, or I could simply enclose and seal off one side or other of the rad, and extract air through there, which would draw air through the same side as extraction

6/ lower is far more vulnerable to accidental damage, either by a boot or a belt snapping

7/ doing that really limits my choices when it comes to electric fan installation.

8/ lot more pipe, so more rubber hose to perish or leak

9/ the big one, no way to effectively get near the rad when the motor is running, not unless you want your arms ripped off, where it is now I only have to worry about my dick on the crankshaft

10/ changing a drive belt would mean disturbing the plumbing and draining the system.

11/ to effectively build a frame enclosing the flywheels, which I'd have to do to mount the rad that way, the frame would have to be (for me) so solid and meaty to guarantee there was never a flywheel / cage "incident" it would weigh 50 lbs of steel, and entail reworking the cast iron s-o-m base, and altering anything permanently was a no no.

12/ if this radiator gets hosed, I can buy any old replacement, not a PTO specific one at ten times the price, remember, these things are expected to work for decades, not weeks or months.

HTH etc
--

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 03:31:28 AM »
As Im about to set up my generator shed radiator, I'm particulary interested in this setup.

Having no pressure in the system would  be a big plus as far as leaks go- how could I manage that with my big (hopefully) fanless truck radiator/convection setup?

Can I just cut the rad. cap  spring and then plumb the vent tube to the bottom an air vented expansion tank above the radiator?  What are the down sides of no pressure- especially at my 5400 ft operating elevation?

Bruce M
Snowflake, AZ

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 04:24:50 AM »
you could leave the rad cap on, and take a small bore pipe off somewhere else on the rad if this is possible, failing that it is butchering the rad cap and brazing a small bore pipe into it.

re the altitude, you'll have a water boiling point as low as 200 farenheit, zero pressure rad or tank cooled, she'll boil at that temp, unless you use a lot of additives, so make sure your rad is big enough, and make sure the electric fans are man enough and come in at at least 185 giving you 15 degrees F safety margin

the altitude will also de rate your motor a wee bit, so you'll generate a bit less heat at max

if you get boiling, increasing the header / expansion tank volume won't help, however, raising it six foot above the engine will, you'll pressurise the system to 3 or 4  psi

Altitude (ft.)     Pressure (in. Hg)    Boiling pt.(° F) 
   5500             24.434                202.0

so 6 foot of head for water is about right

30 inches of mercury = 30 foot of water = 15 psi approx, so 2 inches of mercury or two foot of water = 1 psi

even 6 foot of 6 mm bore copper pipe with a thimble at the top will pressurise this amount, height = head, not weight or volume of water in the system, a six inch soil pipe instead of 6mm bore will generate the same pressure

HTH
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:33:22 AM by GuyFawkes »
--

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 11:39:14 PM »
Thanks.  A wee bit of pressure does seem a good idea at this elevation, and gravity is an easy way to get it. 

swedgemon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »
My GM-90 6/1 is cooled by a Mazda radiator from the local "recycle yard".  The radiator is positioned above the engine, with the expansion tank in the usual position (just below the top of the radiator).  The radiator cap has two sealing surfaces in it...I cut a groove in the inner surface of the cap, allowing expansion coolant to get thru the groove, into the expansion tank, all at atmospheric pressure.  When the engine is shut down, coolant is pushed by atmosphere back thru the groove, into the engine.  An adjustable aftermarket radiator temp sensor controls the radiator fan...works well.

Swedgemon
Somewhere in Kentucky

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 02:42:40 AM »
Swedgemon,
Where/how is the temperature sensor mounted....

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

swedgemon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 12:00:01 PM »
The control box has a thin probe sticking out of it...I stuck the probe thru the radiator fins about 1/3 of the way down the core and zip-tied the control box to the radiator.  The control box has a reheostat (sp?) knob for setting on/off temps...got it from the Advance Auto store.
Swedgemon
GM-90 6/1
Somewhere in Kentucky

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »
Hi Sedgemon,
would you mind posting a few pics?  I'm still trying to picture it in my head.

Thanks,
Steve

swedgemon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
Hi Steve,
Photos and I do not get along on a website...the unit is a Hayden 3647 Thermostatic Fan Control (about $30 at Advance Auto).  The control box has a small relay on it and a "pot" for adjusting temps.  There are leads for ground, low fan, high fan, power and the probe lead.  I just (carefully) jabbed the probe through the radiator fins (just above dead center in the radiator) and attached the control box to the plastic shroud around the radiator fan, then connected all the leads. 
My engine is apart just now...need to get a few parts from Mike Montieth when I go pick up an ST-5 gen head in a week or two.
Swedgemon
GM-90 6/1
Somewhere in Kentucky