Author Topic: centrifuges  (Read 13003 times)

toydiesel01

• View Profile
centrifuges
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:27:05 AM »
I was just wondering how many people are using a centrifuge for old used motor oil and what are the down sides ?

bob

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: centrifuges
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:04:02 PM »
Hello toydiesel01,
                      I was lucky enough to acquire a centrifuge and heater unit from asmall power station, and have been trying to clean up some drums of WMO recently.
My unit appears to exert about 6500 X gravity, which seems to be about 3 times that of many small units offered to the home market. Even at this force and 70c preheat
I am recirculating a 200 litre (50 gal) drum for 8 or 9 hour till I cease to collect signifigant amounts of carbon. The oil still remains black, as I understand the remaining carbon is
finer than  1 micron, and probably not harmful in a fuel blend for precombustion type diesels. Power usage is a factor depending on price, asI run near 5kw of 3 phase power
for round 8 hours (40 kwh) to clean a drum of oil.
         An experiment with about a 10% blend with diesel in an older direct inject motor had the injector tips badly carboned up, and smoking badly after about 20 hours on
load. Luckily pulling the injectors and brushing off the tips restored performance.
        I presently run about 40% WMO, 40% diesel and 20% Jet A1 in my IDI (precombustion) vehicle and it starts well and burns clean in our warm climate,but I will continue
to try various blends with caution. Jet A1 seems a very acceptable thinning agent for heavier oils, including waste cooking oils,(at least in our climate,  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
I was just wondering how many people are using a centrifuge for old used motor oil and what are the down sides ?

bob

I use a Dieselcraft centrifuge. I now have enough of a supply of oil I can let it stand for a year before running the Dieselcraft. It is surprising how little there is left to filter. I can't think f any down sides. You don't have to buy filters. so far I have over 2000 hours on the original golden rod 10 micron fuel filter with gravity feed.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Rb I have beed looking to getting a centerfuge. My worries are having an oil line come disconected or a broken line. You seemed to have use one of these for quite awhile. Give me your thoughts. Thanks, Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

br549

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:17:27 AM »
I run a diesel craft centrifuge and have filtered a couple of thousand gallons of wvo.  I've never seen or used any other type of centrifuge.  It seems to do a really good job of collecting the crud.  I haven't used it yet on wmo, however.  I power it with a 1/2 horse electric motor, turning an older mercedes benz power steering pump.  It's really nice not having any consumables to throw away.  It's probably one of the most reliable tools I own.  Very reliable. 
I run mine about 80 psi.  If you have decent hoses and take reasonable care, you should have no problems.  It seems by the design of it, it will never wear out.  However, having said that, with wvo it's not if you will have a spill, it's when and how much.
If you buy one, I don't think you'll be sorry.
My wife runs wvo in her mbz.  She has over 14,000 miles on her current veg oil filter.

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
I am using a Simple Centrige, by Numeric Controls in Wa State. I just started using it, it works GREAT, I heat the (WMO) oil to 95-110 degrees F before it goes through the centrifuge. It takes a LOT of garbage out of the oil, TONS, making me a nice peanut butter textured pile of you know what to throw out. The guys that make the machine were helpful, and you can find them on the web or send me a message & I'll shoot you the link for their website. Like I said, works GREAT, cost about $1500.00.