Puppeteer

Author Topic: Adventures in importing  (Read 47779 times)

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
Re: Adventures in importing
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »
I have a manuel that shows the flywheel and tdc etc. My petter has a pointer sticking out over the flywheel. I dont see a timing mark on the flywheel though. The digram does not show how to proceed with timing. I checked the rack spring etc but the motor keeps surging, stalling, surging over and over. Continues even with rack screwed in 30 percent.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:51 AM »
i really don't think this is a timing issue, but if you have a pointer and a tdc mark on the flywheel then you can generate marks to get you in the ballpark on timing.

measure around the flywheel to get an accurate circumference. for instance the circ = 24 inches, then divide by 12 which will get you 2"

measure 2 inches before the tdc mark and mark a line, this line will be 30 degrees if my math is correct.

i am not sure of the required timing, but if you can find out what degree it is to be timed at, you can divide the 2" into smaller increments and get to where you want to go.

should you not be able to find the tdc mark, then perhaps it is covered in paint? if there is no mark at all i would wonder how they timed the thing to start with. you may have to lift the head and use a dial indicator to get the piston to top dead center and scribe a tdc mark.

hope this helps

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

listeroidsusa

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 03:35:19 AM »
I just had a call from my customs broker. My shipment was supposed to be delivered yesterday. The customs broker told me Homeland Security had put a hold on this ship too. My shipment is STILL in L.A. awaiting the vacis x-ray, and drug and bomb dog sniffs. They tell me to expect the shipment in ANOTHER 7-10 days! I wonder what it is going to cost me this time? BUMMER

Mike

Doug

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 03:41:42 AM »
In Canada a special inspection like this costs around 700.00 per crate opened and inspected. Hopefuly US Xrays and dope dogs come free of charge, but if they open crates I hate to think what this might cost you.....

Doug

Doug

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 04:16:56 AM »
Well its been a long time coming....
Special thanks to Atual Patel for the many emails and particular attention paid to make sure he was building what I asked for. Won't be here for a while, still waiting for the ship....

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/18520213169.jpg&s=f10

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/18723093658.jpg&s=f10

Doug
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 04:18:55 AM by Doug »

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 04:34:35 AM »
looks pretty good Doug I hope the real life version is as good
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 05:23:06 AM »
I hope so....
He went to a lot of trouble to lay out all the options and build that engine to my specs. There's a lot hanging on how well this performs and starts in the cold.
We also had a few interesting conversations about some new casting that weren't ready at the time of this order. I'd like to compare them on another engine.

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 07:08:46 AM »
how much for the petter?

sure looks good, do wonder tho' how much charge you can get from that alternator turning at such a slow speed. but perhaps :)

bob g

Doug

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »
Everything included this cost me 1100 USD including some spare parts like a crank piston rings bearing injector, head ect, ect....
When the dust clears after taxes and dock fees shipping ect more.
This is not a regular production engine. It was factory built for 1800 rpm and rated conservatively at 10 HP. It was built with the intent to be fitted with a scrubber and cold start assist ( to be fitted by me before final testing in Ottawa by Enviroment Canada ) to meet the M242.2 emission standard for use in mines.
This is costing me, believe it.

Some say India can't build a good engine, for me this is the acid test....

CO      500  ppm
 NO2     26    ppm
 HCHO  8.5   ppm

At 80 % power

What the alternator puts out is the least of my worries.

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 01:52:13 AM »
"What the alternator puts out is the least of my worries"

good point, sorry but i didnt understand what your intentions were for these engines, wasnt even sure where you
were located, never heard of the nickel city!

i applaud your efforts to get these engines approved, a cold start is a good step i am sure.

a thought:
perhaps the cold start/glow plug relay could lock out the starter until the timer has determined that it is warm enough to start.

also the relay could be controlled with a coolant or intake air sensor to continue cycling the plug until sufficient temp has been attained.

also a throttle delay dashpot assy might work to slow the throttle responce and lessen emmisions, sort of like the old detroit units that were installed on the fuel racks to slow throttle responce and give the turbo time to spool.

damn i like the looks of it tho

would be very interested in one should you start importing them.

bob g

Doug

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 03:18:24 AM »
Much of what you said is in the works with one exception:
I don't know if there is going to be enough iron in the head for a Duetz glowplug as planed. So I might follow the Volvo trick of using an air preheater in the intake track. It all up in the air....
Cold start lockout, I have a nice Kubota ignition and some parts from the Marcotte bin for the Duetz 912.

Even if this works Bob I could never sell you one, this doesn't imply EPA compliance. These regulations were drafted to ensure that engines were as clean a possible for use in mines and to give the little guy a chance to prove his product in what's a very small market of custom manufactured equipment.

US mining regualtions make no sence, and they scare me.

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 05:05:08 AM »
the intake preheater is not a bad idea, cummins used a heater that looked like a spark plug on the outside that screwed into the intake of their
855 ci engines back in the 70's, they were made by champion spark plug.

they would heat up the air for subzero climates and allow starting, should work well in a lister or petter, all that would be needed would be a tapped hole in the
intake manifold and control relay.

now for mining,,,, hmmmmm
guess i will have to extend my tunnel to canada :)

bob g

Doug

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 05:15:57 AM »
Don't buy anything Swedish for tunneling purposes. One look at a Copco service manual or the hydraulics of a Gia-Kiruna will prove too you that 18 million Swedes can be wrong ( and possibly mentaly ill ).

If your going to drive a drift that long lets smugle Mexicans in and Canadian grass out. The profit margin is better.

Doug

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »
I have a small marine petter that came stock with an intake heater.. it really makes a difference for cold starts.. 

Doug

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »
I would very much like to see a picture of that.
Do you have a Lister/Petter part number for it?

Doug