Puppeteer

Author Topic: Adventures in importing  (Read 47608 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in importing
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2006, 03:39:54 AM »
follow Sid's advice,

make like an egyptian :)

no since reinventing the wheel, when you can use rollers

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2006, 03:47:59 AM »
Its the lack of a shop now thats got me concerned.....
I should of asked to lease for a another month. Stupid stupid, I have so much junk in boxes, files in boxes, boxes in boxes. I can't find what I have and I need room for more lol!!!!

I was looking at a portable office trailer in the papper for 3500 thats starting to look like a good idea to staore my old stock and knick knacks and maybe do a little work ( good thing my wifer doesn't read this ).

Doug

Ya roll, and ramps to get up the steps behind the shed. No problem....
I wanted to have everything mounted on a sloop and just drag it up with a tugger. Yes that was a good plan.....

Doug

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2006, 07:13:03 PM »
To the bitter end....

Heard a truck today, recylcer no Petter  ???

Phone call a few minuts ago from my import broker. Canada Border services wants a peek inside.

More delays, more costs, this is realy dragging on now and getting expensive.

There are times when I have to ask myself is this worth it?

Doug

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2006, 02:44:09 AM »
Doug, is Canada Customs gonna charge a fee to inspect it, or are they just gonna charge you taxes and stuff on the value of the engine?

Do not trust the "grid" folks!

Doug

« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2006, 03:43:47 AM »
No I have to pay a fee based on the weight of my cargo as a % of the total cargo. The fee is something like $ 700, there will also be more warehousing charges. Since I am a first time importer I probably sent up a red flag...

Frustrating stuff, unfortunatly this is the way you have to go unless you can find someone else to import an engine for you if you want something special built. Or you have to suck it up and buy an engine made for African market. At this time I don't know of any Kit Petteroids but I suspect they are coming.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2006, 05:51:25 PM »
Petter arrived today.....

So far I've only had the chance to inspect crate 2 & 3 but my first impressions are good. Crank and cam look good, no rust to be seen. Liner has a nice cross hatch and everything was well oiled before packing.

Anand did a hell of nice job on packing, everything was well cussioned for the journey, wrapped in one and in some cases two bags and sealed. No blow pacs were used but just about everything had foam around it.

I payed special attention to the piston an ring set and block and liner no marks or obvious damage and it looks like the casting quality is very good.

It will be interesting to see if the spare rod and engine rod are the same weight, but the forging looks nicely done.

I also have a keep sake a news papper.

More information to come as the unpacking contiues and the tear down is started.

Doug

slowspeed1953

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
Congrats Doug! What a long strange trip its been.

Peace&Love :D, Darren

Doug

« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2006, 06:28:05 PM »
It s been a long time coming and I haver one more crate to open before this thread ends and we see the Petter AV2 clone shows us its secrets....

Doug

slowspeed1953

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »
Sounds like your a kid in a candy store right now! Keep us posted!

Peace&Love :D, Darren

Doug

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2006, 07:14:44 AM »
I just got off shift, instead of going to bed I snuck back out to open more parts.

The connecting rod has the Swastika logo on it we've seen this before on the Listeroids.
I couldn't push the bushing out so I guess its a least a little better than Cujets. I am a little disapointed in the machining about bosses on the rod cap, a little fillet would have been nice. The finnish of the forging is also a little rough but no rust or signs of rough handling, the proof remains in the mic readings thats all that counts.

Head looks good nice and clean no casting flash or obvious defects all holes look nicely tapped. Porting is a little rough but not a huge deal. Springs seem a little soft, I expected a little more presure but whats the specification?

Oil pump is nice, and the gear drive also looks well made.

Injector and pump..... Mico

Unintersting stuff still in boxes spare mufler and air cleaner

Spare main and rod bushing left to be look at in the sun light along with a big bag of oil lines, fuel lines and fittings.

Doug

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2006, 02:22:00 AM »
Doug, is Canada Customs gonna charge a fee to inspect it, or are they just gonna charge you taxes and stuff on the value of the engine?

When I brought in my SOM to Canada, I was charged no GST,PST or Duties because of its age.  The customs guys were very nice
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2006, 02:44:16 AM »
Yes you got off easy. Do you recall Mike Montieth mention that Home land security impounded his engines and started cracking crates?
Well here at home Canada Boarder services does the same when a red flag comes up.  Less concern over an old engine from England. But new "diesel engine from India"???? That must raise eyebrows since most pople don't connect India with heavy industry, thats going to change soon......

Doug

L-P

« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2006, 05:04:24 PM »
Hello all,

I am quite junior here then also I would like to ask a question, why you people are not geting combined?

I mean to say you may make a commonlist, of parts requirement of all of you and place a single order.After when goods reach at your end you may distribute.

Regards.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »
Hello all,

I am quite junior here then also I would like to ask a question, why you people are not geting combined?

I mean to say you may make a commonlist, of parts requirement of all of you and place a single order.After when goods reach at your end you may distribute.

Regards.

Maybe for the same reasons that public transport and carpooling in North america are a hard sell when everybody wants the control and convenience of owning your own vehicle.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »
You make a good point L-P. But India could fit into the province of Ontario and most people on this list live much further away than my home province. We lack venders here who retail parts and it difficult to get a goup of people who do not know each other to sign on and buy mass parts...

Doug