Puppeteer

Author Topic: Climate Warming a hoax?  (Read 199617 times)

Stan

Re: Climate Warming a hoax?
« Reply #435 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »
Stan.... your own link explains the peak... here it is, a direct cut and copy.

The global-average lower tropospheric temperature anomaly soared to +0.72 deg. C in January, 2010. This is the warmest January in the 32-year satellite-based data record.

The tropics and Northern and Southern Hemispheres were all well above normal, especially the tropics where El Nino conditions persist. Note the global-average warmth is approaching the warmth reached during the 1997-98 El Nino, which peaked in February of 1998.

Oh yes Stan, stop the hyperbol, this is only a 32 year record... not the warmest on record, only over the last 32 years

If your going to live by the sword, be prepared for a few cuts :D

Again I guess I have to explain to you Andrew because you obviously didn't read the article very closely.  The article refers to the average monthly temperatures recorded of the global-average lower tropospheric temperatures recorded by satellite.  Of course they don't go back hundreds of years!  ::)  Are you somehow thinking they had satellites hundreds of years ago?  There's no other way to measure the lower tropospheric temperatures which are so critical to the earth's climate.

The article states very plainly that..... "[NOTE: These satellite measurements are not calibrated to surface thermometer data in any way, but instead use on-board redundant precision platinum resistance thermometers (PRTs) carried on the satellite radiometers. The PRT's are individually calibrated in a laboratory before being installed in the instruments.]

I don't blame you Andrew for not catching this in the report.  Most of what we read in the newspapers has been "dumbed down" for the average person who only reads the first 8 lines of any report, and then only if it's written in short, easy to understand language.  The climate debate depends upon fairly complex scientific data which cannot be expressed accurately unless complex ideas and language are used.

That is not to say the leftys are any better than Jeff Beck on this.  They know the general public can only sit still for those infamous 8 lines and so they too put their reports in "public speak".  That's one of the reasons quite clearly spelled out in Phil Jone's interview that he is reluctant to issue regular reports to the public because they are often published in quite complex forms and guys like Jeff Beck can neither understand nor is inclined to put the effort into understanding them and so will just report those infamous first 8 lines.
Stan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:32:16 PM by Stan »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2010, 03:37:46 PM »
thats ok Doug

your credit is good with me!

if i am wrong, there will be no brazilian coffee, it will be a vast desert wasteland
and you will have coffee planation growing up your way

you can be the new spokesman

"Doug Valdez"

lmao

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Stan

« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
I ran across this today, and it fits my own personal opinion of how the "media" reports what should be plain simple news.  It's a perfect example (fictional but appropriate) of why I don't believe 1/10th of what I read in the public press no matter what affiliation it ascribes too.    Andrew, you'd appreciate this one.
Stan

A Harley biker is visiting the zoo in Calgary , Alberta when he sees a
    little girl leaning into the bars of the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion
    grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to
    slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker without hesitation runs to the cage and hits the lion square on
    the nose with a powerful punch.

Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and
    the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A
    CBC reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the biker says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant
    and brave thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.'

The Harley rider replies, 'Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was
    behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt
    right.'

The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a
    journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the
    front page... So, what do you do for a living and what political
    affiliation do you have?'

The biker replies, 'I'm a soldier in the Canadian military and a conservative.' The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings
    news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

CANADIAN SOLDIER ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH

That pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
HAHAHA I Like that one Stan... fits me to a T...

I remember when I was working for Preston Manning, and one day he was walking his dog along the Canal here in Ottawa.  Preston threw a stick too far and into the water it went.  Much to Prestons horror, a reporter from the Toronto Star was sitting watching the whole thing.  Prestons dog ran up to the water, and proceeded to walk across the water, pick up the stick, and walk back.

Headline in the next days Toronto Star (Liberal Pravda)

MANNINGS DOG CANT SWIM!!!!
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #439 on: February 18, 2010, 03:18:37 AM »
I think I told this one before...I investigated a very busy crosswalk and reported for a group of parents to the school board about how busy it was.  I had 8 or 10 specific data points to cover.   Things like "there were 360 cars per hour passing by this crosswalk (or some such).  Remember, Specific points. 

I printed each of the points out on a single piece of paper and photo copied several copies, one of which I gave to the reporter for the local paper who was present.

The next day the paper came out and the reporter had all but one of the points wrong, some of them 180 degrees wrong. 

I've never trusted the press, any press since.

That's why I don't trust the star or the telegraph or the times or scientific american or any of them.  I read the data, research how it was gathered and form my own opinions.  That way if I'm wrong, its me that's wrong, and I will take the lumps myself.
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #440 on: February 19, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
WTF?

The Thread that never ends...... Ended........

Or are you boys just waiting for the snow to melt to see who wins the coffee?
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 19, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »
lol Ive been busy freezing my bum in this Warmer weather :D

Cant wait to get the bike on the road
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
I"ve been busy praying for colder weather and more snow, just like in Vancouver.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That and battling indoor gyprock dust (connection of  said dust to global warming very tenuous but I'm thinking about the ramifications).   ::)

Anyone who has successfully convinced their wife that sawdust and gyprock dust isn't real dirt, please let me know how you did it?
Stan

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 20, 2010, 01:38:44 AM »
plaster dust??

that was the beginning of the downhill slide between me and my ex, that ended in the bloodiest divorce in recorded history

btw, recorded history for divorces go back hundreds of years, instead of a couple decades  :)

i got so tired of hearing her bitch about dust, and covering stuff, which there is no way to  cover stuff good  enough to preclude plaster dust,
that i just quit working on the remodel.

i swear that dust is so fine it can migrate into a can of green beans, sealed in a ziplock bag, stored in a spare refrigerator kept in a detached garage three blocks down the street, upwind, during a rainstorm.

if they ever figure out how to weaponize plaster dust, we are all doomed!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2010, 01:50:12 AM »
They make a low dust gypsom plaster now.

I swear by it, all dust falls straight down much less mess....
I have another trick for you too. Only do this kind of work in the warmer months keep all the windows closed except where you are working. Some place else thats clean in your house place a fan outside blowing in ( some card board ducking required ). This will presurize your home and blow the dust out the only other open window in the area where you are working.

And my wife can be a real badger....

Stan

« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Yup, I now have a bucket of the "less dusty' stuff, hope it works.  Done the seal the room and put a fan in trick in the summer, and I think I'll do it now, almost summer temps outside.  Had to shut off the pellet stove yesterday, it got too hot inside, just a little bit of sun showing with plus 6 temps and no additional heat needed.
Stan

Stan

« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »

btw, recorded history for divorces go back hundreds of years, instead of a couple decades  :)

However, if they ever find a way to detect divorces by satellite, then recorded history by that method will be only 32 years. 

(If that ever happens, we will probably have much bigger problems with our governments than global warming will treat us too.  >:(

Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #447 on: February 21, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
You know its funny how this thread wanders and now we are talking about dust and divorce.

What I was a boy we used to life near a sand pit/ This was a fairly fine sand too and there was no way to keep it out of the house. My mother would curse my father for buying that house and not considering the sand pit a few miles across the road.
Today they are divorced too.....

My Father in law worked in a dust factory. No joke it has to come from some place.....
Actually it was a fine powder called "Sinter 75", 75% nickle oxide powder  + other stuff ( tramp metals and slag ). It settled in his lungs and never came out and like so many men of his generation he would get a year chest X ray to look for cancer from it. The dust was everywhere from it. It would come home in his close, he would blow it out of his nose and hack it out of his lungs. And the most interesting things about that particular dust was it would stain everything black.
He did not get divorced but his wife got a new washing machine quite often.

The dust of Neelon casting was grey and hung in the air around the foundry. You could taste that stuff. It settled on the cars and and turned and ground and when the rains came it would rust. Get that on you skin and when you sweat it would rust and you could never seem to wash it off. My wife hated that dust because it always made me look like I had that fake spray on orange tan.

Then there was the Smelter fail out from my youth. On a fall out day the stack emissions would leave these little black and yellow specs that would leave a blight on anything green like broad leave plants . And it would burn the paint on your car so you were wary of how and where you parked.
This didn't cause any divorces as I recall but it made a lot of people bitchy and pissed off . People like my Dad who now lives in Florida
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:45:22 PM by Doug »

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
I see we are on the subject of dust. The first time I had to have a chest X ray for a job I learned something. We always raised chickens growing up on a farm. The doctor that read the X ray asked if I had ever lived on a farm. When I told him yes he questioned if we had chickens. It seems that the manure of chickens in chicken coups becomes very fine. Then when you go in and clean out it odes become very dusty. These little dust particles settle in the lungs if you are not wearing a mask. At one time doctors thought it was TB until further test were done. So I suppose I am still running around with chicken s**t in my lungs. They ought be fertilized well. It hasn't seem to cause any other problems. I suppose the EPA could have protected me. "NOT" So everyone stay warm. It has not really been that warm here and today it isn't even close to warm. DRDEATH
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2010, 01:32:03 AM »
Something is going to be anounced a a couple of days I guess....
What I do know is they have something on the order of 100,000,000 dollars in venture capital invested and some test fuels cells that apear promissing/
I never believed in a fuel cell system for a couple of reasons the PM group metals and the need for very pure hydrogen and oxygen fuel.

http://www.bloomenergy.com/