Author Topic: Beginning of the end?  (Read 8536 times)

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
Beginning of the end?
« on: October 27, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
Just go this yesterday from the Government, looks like they are going to blindly follow the U.S.  Could well be the end of imports in Cananda but likely not for a couple of years.

Re:  Consultations on draft regulatory text to amend the On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations and the Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999

Madam, Sir,

Purpose

The purpose of this letter is to seek your input on draft regulatory texts to amend the On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations and the Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999).  The planned amendments are intended to maintain alignment of Canadian standards and test procedures for controlling emissions of smog-forming air pollutants with those of the U.S.  Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 

It is important to note that the attached draft regulatory texts are not official and may be subject to changes until pre-publication in the Canada Gazette, Part I.  Nonetheless, your comments would be appreciated on any technical issues associated with the structure of the planned amendments before proceeding with the pre-publication in the Canada Gazette, Part I.  The pre-publication will be followed by a 60-day formal consultation period, during which interested parties will have another opportunity to make written comments specific to the proposals.

Background
The Government recognizes that the combustion of fossil fuels to power on­road and off-road vehicles and engines is an important contributor to air pollution in Canada.  Environment Canada intends to develop and implement a series of new regulations to further reduce air pollution from vehicles and engines in alignment with world-leading national standards of the U.S. EPA. In Canada, there are currently regulations to control air pollutant emissions from on-road vehicles and engines (i.e., such as passenger cars and trucks, motorcycles, buses and transport type vehicles including those powered by diesel engines), off-road small spark-ignition engines (i.e., such as those used in lawn, garden, light-duty industrial and light-duty logging machines) and off-road compression-ignition engines (i.e., diesel engines such as those used in construction, mining, farming and forestry machines). The Government has already published proposed new regulations to establish stringent air pollutant standards applicable to off-road recreational vehicles and engines (i.e., such as outboard engines, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles) which it plans to finalize later this year.

Through this current consultation, Environment Canada is providing stakeholders an early opportunity to provide input on the draft regulatory text designed to carry out the Government’s plans to amend the On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations to require on-board diagnostics systems for on-road heavy duty engines and to amend the Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations to maintain alignment with more stringent U.S federal standards for off-road diesel engines, as described in more detail below.

For more details on the existing regulations that are being modified please consult the following links:

* On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations: http://www.ec.gc.ca/CEPARegistry/regulations/detailReg.cfm?intReg=65
    * Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations: http://www.ec.gc.ca/CEPARegistry/regulations/detailReg.cfm?intReg=88

Drafts of the proposed Regulations Amending the On-Road Vehicle and Engine Emission Regulations, the proposed Regulations Amending the Off-Road Compression-Ignition Engine Emission Regulations and documents that explain the proposed changes are attached.

Submission of Comments

Please submit any comments on the draft amendments by November 13th, 2009 to:

Josée Lavergne
      Chief, Regulatory Development Section
      Transportation Division
      Energy and Transportation Directorate
      Environment Canada
      351 St-Joseph Blvd
      Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0H3
      josee.lavergne@ec.gc.ca

Contact Person:

If you have any questions or require clarification on the planned regulatory amendments, please contact:

Jean-François Roy: (819) 956-9747 or
      jean-francois.roy@ec.gc.ca

Sincerely,

Allan Van Dyk
      Director, Transportation Division 
      Environmental Stewardship Branch
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

Stan

Re: Beginning of the end?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »
I'll see what I can find out.  I've a close contact deep within transport Canada.  ;)
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
I am not sure this is the beginning of the end rather this is the end of the beginning......
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »
This is a Public Service thing,    No Conservative MP wants to do down that road... think Gun Registry
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »
Yup, the MPs come and the MPs go, but the public service keeps right on chugging along.  ???
Stan

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »

This public servant had a VERY BUSY DAY!

8:30 - Arrive at office.
  8:30 - 10:00 - Drink coffee and shoot the bull.
  10:00 -11:00 - Type letter to JohnF13.  Wait a minute!  Was that a form letter?
  11:00 - 4:30 - Go to his $2.8 million cabin in Gatineau to putz around.

The emissions issue for Stationary Engines should be handed over to the Provinces. Occupational Health and Safety Department, to be exact.

Or, the Manufacturer could have a placard that states ' Conforms to DOT Regulation#______, for stationary engines fueled with Vegetable Oil'    Anyway, those that are burning diesel($$$$) are OBVIOUSLY AWAY from the Grid, and emissions are not bothering anybody!

Got to be a way to get around this BS!

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
Anybody know the current status of this?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 01:50:17 AM »
I contacted my "contact" at transport Canada and while I didn't speak to the person handling this specific file, my contact agreed to give my info on Listers to the man doing the work.  I basically told him there are 3 factors here.  1.) lets make an exemption for antiques, 2.) lets make exemptions for engines running veggie oil, and other fuels that are carbon neutral or nearly so, and most important, 3.) lets NOT just simply copy the US example of blanket policy without actually "thinking" of why this should be done.

I figure you've got to keep it simple and not present too many ideas of the main concepts get lost in the translation.

Any ideas?
Stan

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:30:29 AM »

Stan; this sounds good.  There should be exemptions for Stationary Engines of this type.

'Transport Canada?'  I know what 'Transport' means!  Does Transport Canada know what 'Stationary' means? ::)

Stan

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
Since their proposed legislation deals also with generators, I would hope so, however as you imply, there are politicians involved here.  The guys that do the grunt work in these matters are, for the most part very intelligent, well meaning people.  It's when the politicians and the people/corporations that contribute to the politicians campaigns get involved, well, that's another matter. :'(
Stan

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »

This is going to be 'A Little Off Topic' , but deals with a Business Owner , Weights and Measures Canada , The Media , and a STUPID CUSTOMER.  The Business Owner runs a Gas station. The Media is also STUPID on this one!

STUPID CUSTOMER goes to gas station to fill a 10 Liter (PLASTIC) Gerry Can. This Gerry Can has a line on it that indicates 10 Liters.  She manages to put 11 liters in it to the line(10 Liter mark). She then files a complaint with Weights and Measures, AND also goes to the Media.

The Media(TV Station) shows up at the Gas Station and fills said Gerry Can with Gasoline. YEP, 11 liters to the 10 liter mark.
Then, Weights and Measures shows up and checks all the pumps for accuracy. Everything is within specs!

The Gas Station ends up on the news. The result of this is a 40% drop in sales of fuel at the onset, with sales going back to normal in a Month.  What can we glean from this?

-Extrusion process does not insure accuracy
-Gerry Can has been exposed to hot sun with Gasoline in it and has expanded. It would not take very much expansion to make it hold 10% more!
-Lack of reasoning on customers part
-Lack of Scientific Method by Media. Should have taken said Gerry Can to alternate gas station and fill it to full mark or used 1 liter beakers of water to fill container to full mark.

Personally, I would have SUED the TV Station for Lost Sales.

Just for fun, I filled a 20 Liter Gerry Can(very used) to the full mark and it took 21.9 Liters!

This is a good example of the Stupidity we have to deal with when Importing and selling these engines!

-

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:16:19 AM »

Stan; this sounds good.  There should be exemptions for Stationary Engines of this type.

'Transport Canada?'  I know what 'Transport' means!  Does Transport Canada know what 'Stationary' means? ::)

I am old enough to know that Transport Canada was an agency of the Federal Government that was in existence for many, many years who's mandate was apparently to transport Canada, presumably to a warmer climate.  After these years and years it became clear that Transport Canada could not fulfill it's mandate and the bureau was closed down and replaced with a non descript overseeing entity now called Industry Canada.  That must have something to do with Canadian beavers, those fuzzy little rodents that are hard, industrious woodworkers and a national symbol for our fine country.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:21:04 AM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
It does say fossil fuels. Start converting to veggie power.

Stan

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »

I don't know if they know what it means but I'd guess they'd be willing to strike a committee and spend a couple of years and a few tens of thousands of dollars to find out.  ::)

Stan