Puppeteer

Author Topic: replacing head gasket on a Lister 3 cylinder diesel  (Read 6032 times)

chas

• View Profile
replacing head gasket on a Lister 3 cylinder diesel
« on: October 07, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
Can anyone help me with the schematics for a Lister 3-cylinder 18hp diesel, model number- 123SR3A22?  We live in the central mountains of Honduras and use our Lister in 10K electrical generation system.  Two days ago I went into the generating room and found the floor covered in oil.  Apparently, the head gasket blew.  Luckily, I got there very shortly after it blew so there was no damage to the engine.  I removed the valve covers and have removed the head bolt nuts, but the heads still are not moveable.  I would like to see the schematics for the engine to see exactly where the different bolts etc. go.  Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.  Thanks.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: replacing head gasket on a Lister 3 cylinder diesel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
Hello Chas,
              Head removal on your SR engine requires removal of intake and exhaust manifolds and the air shroud which fits over the manifold bolts.
You also need to disconnect the injector pipes and may have to remove the fuelpump sidecover to loosen the lower pipe joint. also ease out the
rocker oilfeed pipes  from their rubber fittings and hope they don't crack.(Earlier ones may have brass fittings to unscrew). Injector can then be
pried out of head to protect tip from damage. Do not rotate engine after loosening head, to prevent cylinder lifting and allowing dirt in under
cylinder-to-crankcase shims. Measure and note thickness of gasket and shims,(and order of placement). Check condition of head-to-cylinder surface
for burning or damage,as it may need machining or lapping to seal. In this case you will need to set piston to head bump clearance, which is a process
requiring access to micrometers etc, and some patience. A service manual is handy at this point, or I can try to describe procedure if requested,
Hope this helps,  Regards   Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

chas

• View Profile
Re: replacing head gasket on a Lister 3 cylinder diesel
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
Combustor,
Thank you for your time.  I will be working on this for the next few days I see.  It seems that you are from Australia?  I have some friends from Brisbane.  Thanks again.