Author Topic: Turbos  (Read 20828 times)

jsw123

• View Profile
Turbos
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:31:32 AM »
Hello,
 I was wondering if anyone has ever put a turbo on a 24/2 series engine from anand enterprises. I saw some threads with some speculation but not sure if anyone has done it.

apogee_man

• View Profile
Re: Turbos
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:44:14 AM »
Not a twin, but a start...

http://www.utterpower.com/turbo_6_1.htm

Steve

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
A turbo will work well on a 24/2 , just needs to be correctly sized for the application. There are calculators on the internet for doing this but my advice would be to contact a Turbo supplier and ask for a recommendation. Gale Banks Engineering are experts in Diesel turbocharging , they might be a good start.  http://www.bankspower.com/
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
  Mitsubishi TD015 or IHI RHF3 or IHI RHB31

jsw123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:59:33 AM »
I hope to get enough power to run a 24KW genhead.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:13:38 AM »
I have a 25/2 that is de-rated to about 735 RPM. It can just pull 10 Kw, if the ratings on the clothes drier and plug in heaters are accurate. So that would be 13Kw if I ran it @ 1000 RPM. I think a 50% increase is possible based on the Dancause single. That would be just over 20 Kw.
I don't need that much power, but 'what the heck' I built mine for fun, so why don't you? Get back to us with what you find out. ;)
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
anyone think of using a supercharger instead?  It wouldn't need oil lines.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

jzeeff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
Getting some energy out of the exhaust gases and a faster burn makes sense, fuel efficiency wise.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »
Supercharger requires mechanical power to drive it.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »
Each system has it's advantages & disadvantages; turbos effectively scavenge wasted energy from the exhaust gases; but they only work once there's sufficient exhaust gas to spin them; this also sets a limit on the size of turbo you're going to be able to run.

A supercharger, on the other hand, works right from when the engine fires up & all the way through the rev range; but - as mentioned by compig - they take mechanical power to run, so they're not as efficient as a turbo.

Personally, if I were looking at forced induction, I'd put the supercharger on my car, and the turbo on the Lister.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
Superchargers generally have limited boost capability compared to turbo's and the only way to increase boost is to change the drive pulley to drive them faster but then the mechanical losses mount up. Yes , I know top fuel and funny cars run mad boost but only because they run for short periods and can afford to sacrifice the massive power needed to drive the blower. Also , with a supercharger a drive belt arrangement needs to be fitted. Turbo's are very flexible to use as the boost can be increased easily by controlling the bypass valve. However they still operate over a restricted range due to the efficiency map of the compressor , used outside this they overspeed and generate a lot of heat. Still , they are the best choice as far as I'm concerned. I have just helped a friend develop a Toyota MR2 with a 2.1 ltr 4 cylinder engine into a 800 BHP beast thats just run the qtr in 9.722 seconds and it's road legal. Boost pressure is 2.4 bar or just over 35 psi !  No supercharger can easily do that.  The main points against turbo's is the need for an oil feed to the bearings and they are a restriction in the exhaust. From a practical perspective though , these are minor issues and the net gain is very worthwhile. With an turbo on that 24/2 I doubt an intercooler would be needed as the boost required would be quite low , 10 psi would be more than adequate. So it would just need an exhaust manifold and a high pressure oil feed. The oil feed could easily be made from a small electric pump similar to a fuel pump.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 12:10:22 AM »
An oil feed pump would be one more point of failure.  I'd hate for that to go out while I wasn't around.  Yes a supercharger would use some energy, but provide more power.  If it could boost the output of a 6/1 to produce 4Kw from an ST5 without the oil mods...... hmm.   I wonder If I could modify a GM 3.8 supercharger.  As I'm at 4500 feet, I'd like just a little more power than N/A can provide.  I don't NEED the extra, but this is a hobby afterall.  I think 6-7 lbs of boost might get me there.  OK, now tell me how stupid I am......
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:32 AM »
No , a supercharger will not give more power. It will make boost from lower revs as it is mechanically driven , but once a turbo is upto speed , not a problem on a genny application running at constant speed , it will make more boost with less loss. The oil pump shouldn't be an issue , if you have a concern with an electric pump just rig up a small mech pump.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
   If it's a hobby and you just have to impress the pants off anyone looking at your Lister or Petter? How about the Wipple screw bypass door compressor used on the Buick3800 with a turbo?
   The blower free wheeling uses less than 1HP at 3800 load at highway cruise. On a Lister or Petter the blower rpms would be less than the buick at idle and provide 1 atmosphere of boost. Once the turbo spools up and makes full boost. The blower's bypass door opens and the turbo supplies the boost.Blower drag would be about nil. In fact turbo boost might actually force the blower to drive the crank a wee bit if the bypass door was kept closed
  Size that turbo correctly and it will make more intake pressure than exhaust back pressure.
  Detroit Diesel has been pulling off the turbo/mechanical compressor trick for decades on the two strokes. Those Silver Series  were one mighty interesting combo.

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »
"No , a supercharger will not give more power"

Uh, then why use one.  I thought it provided more power than normal aspiration.
-Brett