Author Topic: Automatic Start  (Read 13640 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Automatic Start
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 08:22:10 PM »
My setup is custom, hand built with no printed circuit boards.  I use a the Picaxe 40x1 chip for the engine controller, and one for the remote control box.  Communication is  opto-isolated current loop, two twisted pairs of a Cat5 cable, about 650 feet.  It does special things I needed like opening and closing pneumatic doors for ventilation, selecting air compressor vs generator head, decompression, pneumatic starter engagement and control, monitoring air storage pressure, engine rpm via spoke counting (gear tooth sensor), auto idle timeout shutdown, etc.

I have previously provided copies of the hand drawn schematics, and Picaxe Basic source code, but there were no followup questions so I think it's more of a project then most guys are into.   I don't have any plans for doing a PCB for this right now.

Besides the Picaxe chip and some cheap N-channel MOSFETs for controlling 12V relays and air solenoid valves, there's not a whole lot to it.  The PIC chips can directly drive a logic level gate MOSFET, and they need no external support circuitry like a clock.  The input (emergency, low air, tach pulses) signals are all 5V.

My prototype hardware design is complicated by needing to isolate the processor, for both the Lister controller and the Remote, similar to an EMP hardened design.  By eliminating this, the hardware gets very simple, there would be no need for a separate processor board.

My software is also very simple from a programmer's perspective; no interrupts,  just a continuous monitoring loop taking a bit more than a second as the rpm sensing uses the Basic "Count" command to count flywheel spokes for 1 second to determine engine rpm.

I'm currently working on a project where I have to use a bunch of Microchip's software (USB framework) and C compiler, and PICkit programmer/debugger. It makes me think very fondly on the ease of using the Picaxe chips!

Here are some old photos- alas, I don't have any of the finished, cleaned up setup in the "House of Lister" or the remote.  These were taken during the initial hookup and test phase.  

Since this project, I've moved on to using PCBs even for prototypes, and found that I can use some old technology passive LCD character displays.  I would now use one of my own "lcd module with buttons" for the remote control; it uses less power, and there's less hardware.  I developed that for my remote battery bank monitor; I have one next to the battery bank, one in the shop, and one in the house.  

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:30:46 PM by BruceM »

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
Yes moved to a house in Sarsfield... MUCH bigger garage...

Let me know next time your in town , we can meet for a beer!!  Debate global climate change, and Happer - the Diesel company that is LOL

I have a Yellow VW bug now, Diesel, 5.2 l/100 km ... beats the old Tahoe at 17 l/100 km
 LOL
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
Will do Andrew, I miss the ol' "spirited discussions"
Stan

Stan

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 03:02:50 AM »
Ignore the Luddites, SvenHa. 

No harm done Bruce....however, you should know that Ben Ludd wasn't protesting against technology per se....He was protesting that the uber-rich of the day were using technology to enslave the poor.  Kind of like the hippies today protesting against the 99% being ripped off at every turn by the 1%.  Nothing much changes over the centuries does it?
Stan

bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 04:00:07 AM »

My software is also very simple from a programmer's perspective; no interrupts,  just a continuous monitoring loop taking a bit more than a second as the rpm sensing uses the Basic "Count" command to count flywheel spokes for 1 second to determine engine rpm.   

Bruce, Thanks for the generous photos and description. Your setup is pretty impressive. However, simple it is not---at least not for me. I can do mechanical, but very limited electrical.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:31 AM »
No, nothing new, Stan.  I hope you weren't offended

I do understand and appreciate the "keep it simple" philosophy, and even occasionally try to apply it, despite my utter corruption while working at a government research lab as a young man. It's just that you might not recognize my idea of simple.  ;D

Best Wishes,
Bruce

Stan

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 04:21:38 AM »
Good heaven's no, I'm not offended.  Andrew must be laughing at that concept.  Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, there's very little we are entitled too these days, we can't give up that one.
Stan